wasc-wafec@lists.webappsec.org

WASC Web Application Firewall Evaluation Criteria Project Mailing List

View all threads

What should we change in WAFEC 2.0?

OS
Ofer Shezaf
Wed, Jun 6, 2012 11:39 AM

Since you are all very quiet, I understand that WAFEC 2 will solve my pain
and needs only J

To that end, let me start with summarizing issues raised in the previous
discussions on the mailing list (which I actually went and read.).

No specific order intended. This is what you wrote, though I must say I
think it captures well the issues I am aware of and that generally speaking
I agree with most.

  1.   Remove non WAF related criteria for example around application

delivery.

.        While integrating a WAF with other solutions is compelling to the
client, it is not directly about WAFs and is also unbounded. This does
present the challenge deciding what is relevant to a WAF in border cases
such as an SSO functionality

  1.   Update the list of threats covered

  2.   Focus on customer use cases rather than how a WAF operates

.        I think there was some hidden controversy here as I read opinions
to focus on "technical" which I take to be opposite. I personally very much
agree with this comment.

  1.   Not just a laundry list -

.        Classify the importance of requirements. I believe that a minimal
approach specifying several levels, for example: "mandatory", "important",
"nice to have" and "site specific".

.        Another complementing idea is to classify requirements as
"security"/"functionality"/"performance" etc. letting the user determine if
he prefers security over functionality etc.

.        This would also provide the minimum requirements for a solution to
be a WAF - the "mandatory" requirements.

.        Regarding site specific requirements, it should be easy to the
user to determine his own requirements, for example using a decision tree.

  1.   The "ethical" questions:

.        How to address alternative solutions such as fixing the code?

  1.   Outreach - beyond the document

.        Approaching NSS, ICSA and the likes to use WAFEC

.        Release process, PR etc.

.        Managing a list of public references to WAFEC

.        Promote actual evaluations data sharing - No more spreadsheets.

  1.   Specific notes on V1, I have collected for further work.

A major question raised with opinions on both sides was a re-write vs. an
update. I do think that understanding the requirements should direct that.
Some issues raised which directly relate to that are:

  1.   Is the order of sections correct?

  2.   Incorporating the German OWASP chapter work on the same subject:

http://www.owasp.org/index.php/Best_Practices:_Web_Application_Firewalls

~ Ofer

From:  Ido Breger I.Breger@F5.com
Date:  Thu, 7 Jun 2012 11:35:08 +0000
To:  Ofer Shezaf ofer@shezaf.com, "wasc-wafec@lists.webappsec.org"
wasc-wafec@lists.webappsec.org

Thinking a bit more on the deployment modes section, would it make sense to
elaborate on which features may not available per deployment mode?

Since you are all very quiet, I understand that WAFEC 2 will solve my pain and
needs only J

To that end, let me start with summarizing issues raised in the previous
discussions on the mailing list (which I actually went and readŠ).

No specific order intended. This is what you wrote, though I must say I think
it captures well the issues I am aware of and that generally speaking I agree
with most.

  1.  Remove non WAF related criteria for example around application

delivery.

·        While integrating a WAF with other solutions is compelling to the
client, it is not directly about WAFs and is also unbounded. This does present
the challenge deciding what is relevant to a WAF in border cases such as an
SSO functionality

  1.  Update the list of threats covered

  2.  Focus on customer use cases rather than how a WAF operates

·        I think there was some hidden controversy here as I read opinions to
focus on ³technical² which I take to be opposite. I personally very much agree
with this comment.

  1.  Not just a laundry list ­

·        Classify the importance of requirements. I believe that a minimal
approach specifying several levels, for example: ³mandatory², ³important²,
³nice to have² and ³site specific².

·        Another complementing idea is to classify requirements as
³security²/²functionality²/²performance² etc. letting the user determine if he
prefers security over functionality etc.

·        This would also provide the minimum requirements for a solution to be
a WAF ­ the ³mandatory² requirements.

·        Regarding site specific requirements, it should be easy to the user
to determine his own requirements, for example using a decision tree.

  1.  The ³ethical² questions:

[...]

those who didn¹t ­ you still can!)

I would like to boot up the project with a short exploratory phase identifying
why we need a new release and therefore what we need in it.

To guide the discussion, I think that the reasons we need v2 fall into two
categories:

  1. Things that have changed - new (or obsolete) deployment modes,

techniques, attacks, or even something new altogether.
2.    Issues we discovered in WAFEC over the years. Some issues I encountered
are identifying specific requirements and sorting out what¹s important and
what¹s not.

From this discussion I hope to derive a mission statement, a tasks list and
therefore a schedule for the V2 project. All those will be the next phase.

I would give this phase two weeks (until June 14th), however I am on vacation
from the 9th, so would accept input but not join the discussion on the last
few days.

I would also want to thank Thorsten and Mirko for leading the project until
now. I do hope that I will get from you all more cooperation than they did! I
would also want to extend a personal apology to Thorsten and Mirko as the
leader switch was not well coordinated. Thorsten and I discussed this over the
last week and he gracefully agreed to let me give a try to leading this
project forward.

Thank you all!
~ Ofer

Ofer Shezaf
[+972-54-4431119; ofer@shezaf.com, www.shezaf.com http://www.shezaf.com ]

Ivan Ristic had previously created a "Deployment Method Capabilities Matrix" that is on gooogle docs - https://docs.google.com/document/d/1_wnWjug9cAuvb1uw4OPPHU1oks0D5EAw-tcl31Ot a28/edit?pli=1 You could start with that. -Ryan From: Ido Breger <I.Breger@F5.com> Date: Thu, 7 Jun 2012 11:35:08 +0000 To: Ofer Shezaf <ofer@shezaf.com>, "wasc-wafec@lists.webappsec.org" <wasc-wafec@lists.webappsec.org> Subject: Re: [WASC-WAFEC] What should we change in WAFEC 2.0? > Thinking a bit more on the deployment modes section, would it make sense to > elaborate on which features may not available per deployment mode? > > > From: wasc-wafec-bounces@lists.webappsec.org > [mailto:wasc-wafec-bounces@lists.webappsec.org] On Behalf Of Ofer Shezaf > Sent: Wednesday, June 06, 2012 2:39 PM > To: wasc-wafec@lists.webappsec.org > Subject: [WASC-WAFEC] What should we change in WAFEC 2.0? > > > Since you are all very quiet, I understand that WAFEC 2 will solve my pain and > needs only J > > To that end, let me start with summarizing issues raised in the previous > discussions on the mailing list (which I actually went and readŠ). > > No specific order intended. This is what you wrote, though I must say I think > it captures well the issues I am aware of and that generally speaking I agree > with most. > > 1. Remove non WAF related criteria for example around application > delivery. > > · While integrating a WAF with other solutions is compelling to the > client, it is not directly about WAFs and is also unbounded. This does present > the challenge deciding what is relevant to a WAF in border cases such as an > SSO functionality > > 2. Update the list of threats covered > > 3. Focus on customer use cases rather than how a WAF operates > > · I think there was some hidden controversy here as I read opinions to > focus on ³technical² which I take to be opposite. I personally very much agree > with this comment. > > 4. Not just a laundry list ­ > > · Classify the importance of requirements. I believe that a minimal > approach specifying several levels, for example: ³mandatory², ³important², > ³nice to have² and ³site specific². > > · Another complementing idea is to classify requirements as > ³security²/²functionality²/²performance² etc. letting the user determine if he > prefers security over functionality etc. > > · This would also provide the minimum requirements for a solution to be > a WAF ­ the ³mandatory² requirements. > > · Regarding site specific requirements, it should be easy to the user > to determine his own requirements, for example using a decision tree. > > 5. The ³ethical² questions: > > · How to address alternative solutions such as fixing the code? > > 6. Outreach ­ beyond the document > > · Approaching NSS, ICSA and the likes to use WAFEC > > · Release process, PR etc. > > · Managing a list of public references to WAFEC > > · Promote actual evaluations data sharing - No more spreadsheets. > > 7. Specific notes on V1, I have collected for further work. > > > A major question raised with opinions on both sides was a re-write vs. an > update. I do think that understanding the requirements should direct that. > Some issues raised which directly relate to that are: > 1. Is the order of sections correct? > > 2. Incorporating the German OWASP chapter work on the same subject: > http://www.owasp.org/index.php/Best_Practices:_Web_Application_Firewalls > > > > ~ Ofer > > > From: Ofer Shezaf [mailto:ofer@shezaf.com] > Sent: Thursday, May 31, 2012 1:45 PM > To: wasc-wafec@lists.webappsec.org > Subject: WAFEC 2.0 phase 1: exploratory discussion (deadline: June 14th) > > Thanks to all who volunteered to contribute to this project going forward (and > those who didn¹t ­ you still can!) > > I would like to boot up the project with a short exploratory phase identifying > why we need a new release and therefore what we need in it. > > To guide the discussion, I think that the reasons we need v2 fall into two > categories: > 1. Things that have changed - new (or obsolete) deployment modes, > techniques, attacks, or even something new altogether. > 2. Issues we discovered in WAFEC over the years. Some issues I encountered > are identifying specific requirements and sorting out what¹s important and > what¹s not. > > From this discussion I hope to derive a mission statement, a tasks list and > therefore a schedule for the V2 project. All those will be the next phase. > > I would give this phase two weeks (until June 14th), however I am on vacation > from the 9th, so would accept input but not join the discussion on the last > few days. > > I would also want to thank Thorsten and Mirko for leading the project until > now. I do hope that I will get from you all more cooperation than they did! I > would also want to extend a personal apology to Thorsten and Mirko as the > leader switch was not well coordinated. Thorsten and I discussed this over the > last week and he gracefully agreed to let me give a try to leading this > project forward. > > Thank you all! > ~ Ofer > > Ofer Shezaf > [+972-54-4431119; ofer@shezaf.com, www.shezaf.com <http://www.shezaf.com> ] > > _______________________________________________ wasc-wafec mailing list > wasc-wafec@lists.webappsec.org > http://lists.webappsec.org/mailman/listinfo/wasc-wafec_lists.webappsec.org
OK
Or Katz
Thu, Jun 7, 2012 12:24 PM

Hi Ofer,
My thoughts:

  1. I agree, WAF is a web application security filter and as such the focus
    should be on its functionality.
  2. I'm not sure this is what you meant in this section but my concern is
    that security requirements (that are related to "how waf operates") will
    have proper description.
    e.g. - if WAF should protect from CSRF attack we need to have good
    description that will differentiate between those that protect by inspect
    referer header and those how rewrite data and add tokens.

Thanks.

Or Katz

On Wed, Jun 6, 2012 at 2:39 PM, Ofer Shezaf ofer@shezaf.com wrote:

[...]

**

*

To guide the discussion, I think that the reasons we need v2 fall into two
categories:****

1.      Things that have changed - new (or obsolete) deployment
modes, techniques, attacks, or even something new altogether.

2.      Issues we discovered in WAFEC over the years. Some issues I
encountered are identifying specific requirements and sorting out what’s
important and what’s not.

From this discussion I hope to derive a mission statement, a tasks list
[...]

Hi Ofer, My thoughts: 1. I agree, WAF is a web application security filter and as such the focus should be on its functionality. 3. I'm not sure this is what you meant in this section but my concern is that security requirements (that are related to "how waf operates") will have proper description. e.g. - if WAF should protect from CSRF attack we need to have good description that will differentiate between those that protect by inspect referer header and those how rewrite data and add tokens. Thanks. Or Katz On Wed, Jun 6, 2012 at 2:39 PM, Ofer Shezaf <ofer@shezaf.com> wrote: > ** ** > > Since you are all very quiet, I understand that WAFEC 2 will solve my pain > and needs only J**** > > ** ** > > To that end, let me start with summarizing issues raised in the previous > discussions on the mailing list (which I actually went and read…).**** > > ** ** > > No specific order intended. This is what you wrote, though I must say I > think it captures well the issues I am aware of and that generally speaking > I agree with most.**** > > ** ** > > **1. ***Remove non WAF related criteria* for example around > application delivery. **** > > **· **While integrating a WAF with other solutions is compelling > to the client, it is not directly about WAFs and is also unbounded. This > does present the challenge deciding what is relevant to a WAF in border > cases such as an SSO functionality **** > > **2. ***Update the list of threats covered***** > > **3. ***Focus on customer use cases rather than how a WAF operates** > *** > > **· **I think there was some hidden controversy here as I read > opinions to focus on “technical” which I take to be opposite. I personally > very much agree with this comment. **** > > **4. ***Not just a laundry list* – **** > > **· **Classify the importance of requirements. I believe that a > minimal approach specifying several levels, for example: “mandatory”, > “important”, “nice to have” and “site specific”.**** > > **· **Another complementing idea is to classify requirements as > “security”/”functionality”/”performance” etc. letting the user determine if > he prefers security over functionality etc.**** > > **· **This would also provide the minimum requirements for a > solution to be a WAF – the “mandatory” requirements.**** > > **· **Regarding site specific requirements, it should be easy to > the user to determine his own requirements, for example using a decision > tree.**** > > ***5. ****The “ethical” questions:* > > **· **How to address alternative solutions such as fixing the > code?**** > > **6. ***Outreach* – beyond the document**** > > **· **Approaching NSS, ICSA and the likes to use WAFEC**** > > **· **Release process, PR etc.**** > > **· **Managing a list of public references to WAFEC**** > > **· **Promote actual evaluations data sharing - No more > spreadsheets.**** > > **7. **Specific notes on V1, I have collected for further work.**** > > ** ** > > A major question raised with opinions on both sides was a re-write vs. an > update. I do think that understanding the requirements should direct that. > Some issues raised which directly relate to that are:**** > > **1. **Is the order of sections correct?**** > > **2. **Incorporating the German OWASP chapter work on the same > subject: > http://www.owasp.org/index.php/Best_Practices:_Web_Application_Firewalls** > ** > > ** ** > > ~ Ofer**** > > ** ** > > *From:* Ofer Shezaf [mailto:ofer@shezaf.com] > *Sent:* Thursday, May 31, 2012 1:45 PM > *To:* wasc-wafec@lists.webappsec.org > *Subject:* WAFEC 2.0 phase 1: exploratory discussion (deadline: June 14th) > **** > > ** ** > > Thanks to all who volunteered to contribute to this project going forward > (and those who didn’t – you still can!)**** > > ** ** > > I would like to boot up the project with a short exploratory phase > identifying why we need a new release and therefore what we need in it.*** > * > > **** > > To guide the discussion, I think that the reasons we need v2 fall into two > categories:**** > > **1. **Things that have changed - new (or obsolete) deployment > modes, techniques, attacks, or even something new altogether.**** > > **2. **Issues we discovered in WAFEC over the years. Some issues I > encountered are identifying specific requirements and sorting out what’s > important and what’s not.**** > > ** ** > > From this discussion I hope to derive a mission statement, a tasks list > and therefore a schedule for the V2 project. All those will be the next > phase. **** > > ** ** > > *I would give this phase two weeks (until June 14th), however I am on > vacation from the 9th, so would accept input but not join the discussion > on the last few days.* > > * * > > I would also want to thank Thorsten and Mirko for leading the project > until now. I do hope that I will get from you all more cooperation than > they did! I would also want to extend a personal apology to Thorsten and > Mirko as the leader switch was not well coordinated. Thorsten and I > discussed this over the last week and he gracefully agreed to let me give a > try to leading this project forward.**** > > ** ** > > Thank you all!**** > > ~ Ofer**** > > ** ** > > Ofer Shezaf**** > > [+972-54-4431119; ofer@shezaf.com, www.shezaf.com]**** > > ** ** > > _______________________________________________ > wasc-wafec mailing list > wasc-wafec@lists.webappsec.org > http://lists.webappsec.org/mailman/listinfo/wasc-wafec_lists.webappsec.org > >
RB
Ryan Barnett
Thu, Jun 7, 2012 1:18 PM

Comments inline below.

From:  Ofer Shezaf ofer@shezaf.com
Date:  Wed, 6 Jun 2012 14:39:29 +0300
To:  wasc-wafec@lists.webappsec.org

Since you are all very quiet, I understand that WAFEC 2 will solve my pain and
needs only J

To that end, let me start with summarizing issues raised in the previous
discussions on the mailing list (which I actually went and readŠ).

No specific order intended. This is what you wrote, though I must say I think
it captures well the issues I am aware of and that generally speaking I agree
with most.

  1.   Remove non WAF related criteria for example around application

delivery.

·        While integrating a WAF with other solutions is compelling to the
client, it is not directly about WAFs and is also unbounded. This does present
the challenge deciding what is relevant to a WAF in border cases such as an
SSO functionality

I recommend that we consider using a "Levels" approach similar to what OWASP
ASVS uses - http://code.google.com/p/owasp-asvs/wiki/ASVS.  This way, we can
group items and the user can be clear which items are considered "core" WAF
features and which ones provide added value.

  1.   Update the list of threats covered

I agree that we should map to the WASC TC.  The OWASP German Chapter did
something similar with the WAF Best Practices document listing coverage for
the OWASP Top 10 2007 -
https://www.owasp.org/index.php/Category:OWASP_Best_Practices:_Use_of_Web_Ap
plication_Firewalls.  This will help to show which attack/vuln categories
WAFs excel at mitigating (injection flaws, info leakages) and which ones
they don't (authorization, logic flaws).

  1.   Focus on customer use cases rather than how a WAF operates

·        I think there was some hidden controversy here as I read opinions to
focus on ³technical² which I take to be opposite. I personally very much agree
with this comment.

OK, I guess here is as good a place as any to state my two biggest issues I
think we need to address with WAFEC -

  1. Minimum Requirements for WAF ­ whether we like it or not, most WAFEC
    users tried to use it as  a "minimum requirements" document.  I can't tell
    you how many times I was sent the speadsheet by a WAF prospect and asked how
    our WAF "conformed" to itŠ  So, I do think that we need to re-organize the
    data so that there is a clear distinction between what features a product
    must have to be considered a WAF.  This is an important issue as there are
    many other vendors in the FW/IPS space that tout that they can do the same
    things as WAFs and that is just marketing BS.  For instance ­ in Larry
    Suto's WAF Eval doc
    (http://www.manvswebapp.com/wp-content/uploads/Analyzing_Effectiveness_of_We
    b_Application_Firewalls.pdf) one of the general takeaways was that an IPS
    configured with virtual patches from a DAST scanner would be just as
    effective as a WAF.  I disagree as there were other categories of vulns that
    weren't tested and also I don't believe that the testing scenario used any
    simulated user traffic to allow the WAFs auto-learning/profiling systems
    create profilesŠ

Another example to consider is PCI DSS supplemental document for Requirement
6.6 -
https://www.pcisecuritystandards.org/documents/information_supplement_6.6.pd
f.  The most relevant section is the "Recommended Capabilities" section
where it states that it should be able to enforce both negative and positive
security models.  I believe that this item alone will disqualify network
FW/IPS as they only do negative security/blacklist filtering (as far as I
understand).

  1. WAF Testing ­ people use WAFEC during WAF bake-offs when they are
    evaluating multiple WAFs.  Unfortunately, the actual "testing" or evaluating
    of WAFs against each other is an exercise left to the userŠ  I had to laugh
    when one prospect said that they chose one WAF over ours because they ran a
    scanner agains the website and the competitor's WAF produced more alerts
    than ours so it had to be better.  :(  I explained to the prospect that this
    was a flawed testing design as our product consolidates multiple individual
    alerts into an overall summary alert for the transaction as a whole.  This
    was used to help with event management in production.  Needless to say, they
    ended up with our product after trying to use the competitors product and
    were flooded with alerts that they could not manage.

For this reason, I believe that we should attempt to make some type of
agreed upon testing methodology for users to follow.  How should users
actually test WAFs to ensure that they are working as advertised?

  1.   Not just a laundry list ­

·        Classify the importance of requirements. I believe that a minimal
approach specifying several levels, for example: ³mandatory², ³important²,
³nice to have² and ³site specific².

·        Another complementing idea is to classify requirements as
³security²/²functionality²/²performance² etc. letting the user determine if he
prefers security over functionality etc.

·        This would also provide the minimum requirements for a solution to
be a WAF ­ the ³mandatory² requirements.

·        Regarding site specific requirements, it should be easy to the user
to determine his own requirements, for example using a decision tree.

I touched on some of these in earlier comments.  WE need to clearly specify
minimum requirements for WAF.

  1.   The ³ethical² questions:

·        How to address alternative solutions such as fixing the code?

This can indirectly be addressed by having a mapping to WASC TC and
providing mitigation coverage for each issue.  This will highlight
attack/vuln types that can be better addressed within the code.

  1.   Outreach ­ beyond the document

·        Approaching NSS, ICSA and the likes to use WAFEC

This is important for the "WAF Testing" issue I raised above.  Users need
guidance on how to run WAF testing during bake-offs.

·        Release process, PR etc.

·        Managing a list of public references to WAFEC

·        Promote actual evaluations data sharing - No more spreadsheets.

  1.   Specific notes on V1, I have collected for further work.

A major question raised with opinions on both sides was a re-write vs. an
update. I do think that understanding the requirements should direct that.
Some issues raised which directly relate to that are:

  1.   Is the order of sections correct?

This brings up the issue of WAF Deployment Model.  This should probably be
one of the first items listed as the choice of deployment model directly
impacts many other capabilities.

  1.   Incorporating the German OWASP chapter work on the same subject:

http://www.owasp.org/index.php/Best_Practices:_Web_Application_Firewalls

In my view, WAFEC would function as a sub-chapter within this document.  The
OWASP WAF Best Practices doc starts off discussing the rationale for even
considering a WAF.  Once they make this decision, they would use WAFEC to
evaluate products.  Once they choose a WAF, then they go back to the OWASP
WAF Best Practices document for deciding how to integrate it and manage it.

~ Ofer

Thanks to all who volunteered to contribute to this project going forward (and
those who didn¹t ­ you still can!)

I would like to boot up the project with a short exploratory phase identifying
why we need a new release and therefore what we need in it.

To guide the discussion, I think that the reasons we need v2 fall into two
categories:

  1.  Things that have changed - new (or obsolete) deployment modes,

techniques, attacks, or even something new altogether.
2.      Issues we discovered in WAFEC over the years. Some issues I
encountered are identifying specific requirements and sorting out what¹s
important and what¹s not.

From this discussion I hope to derive a mission statement, a tasks list and
therefore a schedule for the V2 project. All those will be the next phase.

I would give this phase two weeks (until June 14th), however I am on vacation
from the 9th, so would accept input but not join the discussion on the last
few days.

I would also want to thank Thorsten and Mirko for leading the project until
now. I do hope that I will get from you all more cooperation than they did! I
would also want to extend a personal apology to Thorsten and Mirko as the
leader switch was not well coordinated. Thorsten and I discussed this over the
last week and he gracefully agreed to let me give a try to leading this
project forward.

Thank you all!
~ Ofer

Ofer Shezaf
[+972-54-4431119; ofer@shezaf.com, www.shezaf.com http://www.shezaf.com ]

Comments inline below. From: Ofer Shezaf <ofer@shezaf.com> Date: Wed, 6 Jun 2012 14:39:29 +0300 To: <wasc-wafec@lists.webappsec.org> Subject: [WASC-WAFEC] What should we change in WAFEC 2.0? > > Since you are all very quiet, I understand that WAFEC 2 will solve my pain and > needs only J > > To that end, let me start with summarizing issues raised in the previous > discussions on the mailing list (which I actually went and readŠ). > > No specific order intended. This is what you wrote, though I must say I think > it captures well the issues I am aware of and that generally speaking I agree > with most. > > 1. Remove non WAF related criteria for example around application > delivery. > > · While integrating a WAF with other solutions is compelling to the > client, it is not directly about WAFs and is also unbounded. This does present > the challenge deciding what is relevant to a WAF in border cases such as an > SSO functionality I recommend that we consider using a "Levels" approach similar to what OWASP ASVS uses - http://code.google.com/p/owasp-asvs/wiki/ASVS. This way, we can group items and the user can be clear which items are considered "core" WAF features and which ones provide added value. > > > 2. Update the list of threats covered I agree that we should map to the WASC TC. The OWASP German Chapter did something similar with the WAF Best Practices document listing coverage for the OWASP Top 10 2007 - https://www.owasp.org/index.php/Category:OWASP_Best_Practices:_Use_of_Web_Ap plication_Firewalls. This will help to show which attack/vuln categories WAFs excel at mitigating (injection flaws, info leakages) and which ones they don't (authorization, logic flaws). > 3. Focus on customer use cases rather than how a WAF operates > > · I think there was some hidden controversy here as I read opinions to > focus on ³technical² which I take to be opposite. I personally very much agree > with this comment. OK, I guess here is as good a place as any to state my two biggest issues I think we need to address with WAFEC - 1) Minimum Requirements for WAF ­ whether we like it or not, most WAFEC users tried to use it as a "minimum requirements" document. I can't tell you how many times I was sent the speadsheet by a WAF prospect and asked how our WAF "conformed" to itŠ So, I do think that we need to re-organize the data so that there is a clear distinction between what features a product must have to be considered a WAF. This is an important issue as there are many other vendors in the FW/IPS space that tout that they can do the same things as WAFs and that is just marketing BS. For instance ­ in Larry Suto's WAF Eval doc (http://www.manvswebapp.com/wp-content/uploads/Analyzing_Effectiveness_of_We b_Application_Firewalls.pdf) one of the general takeaways was that an IPS configured with virtual patches from a DAST scanner would be just as effective as a WAF. I disagree as there were other categories of vulns that weren't tested and also I don't believe that the testing scenario used any simulated user traffic to allow the WAFs auto-learning/profiling systems create profilesŠ Another example to consider is PCI DSS supplemental document for Requirement 6.6 - https://www.pcisecuritystandards.org/documents/information_supplement_6.6.pd f. The most relevant section is the "Recommended Capabilities" section where it states that it should be able to enforce both negative and positive security models. I believe that this item alone will disqualify network FW/IPS as they only do negative security/blacklist filtering (as far as I understand). 2) WAF Testing ­ people use WAFEC during WAF bake-offs when they are evaluating multiple WAFs. Unfortunately, the actual "testing" or evaluating of WAFs against each other is an exercise left to the userŠ I had to laugh when one prospect said that they chose one WAF over ours because they ran a scanner agains the website and the competitor's WAF produced more alerts than ours so it had to be better. :( I explained to the prospect that this was a flawed testing design as our product consolidates multiple individual alerts into an overall summary alert for the transaction as a whole. This was used to help with event management in production. Needless to say, they ended up with our product after trying to use the competitors product and were flooded with alerts that they could not manage. For this reason, I believe that we should attempt to make some type of agreed upon testing methodology for users to follow. How should users actually test WAFs to ensure that they are working as advertised? > > > 4. Not just a laundry list ­ > > · Classify the importance of requirements. I believe that a minimal > approach specifying several levels, for example: ³mandatory², ³important², > ³nice to have² and ³site specific². > > · Another complementing idea is to classify requirements as > ³security²/²functionality²/²performance² etc. letting the user determine if he > prefers security over functionality etc. > > · This would also provide the minimum requirements for a solution to > be a WAF ­ the ³mandatory² requirements. > > · Regarding site specific requirements, it should be easy to the user > to determine his own requirements, for example using a decision tree. I touched on some of these in earlier comments. WE need to clearly specify minimum requirements for WAF. > 5. The ³ethical² questions: > > · How to address alternative solutions such as fixing the code? This can indirectly be addressed by having a mapping to WASC TC and providing mitigation coverage for each issue. This will highlight attack/vuln types that can be better addressed within the code. > 6. Outreach ­ beyond the document > > · Approaching NSS, ICSA and the likes to use WAFEC This is important for the "WAF Testing" issue I raised above. Users need guidance on how to run WAF testing during bake-offs. > · Release process, PR etc. > > · Managing a list of public references to WAFEC > > · Promote actual evaluations data sharing - No more spreadsheets. > > 7. Specific notes on V1, I have collected for further work. > > > A major question raised with opinions on both sides was a re-write vs. an > update. I do think that understanding the requirements should direct that. > Some issues raised which directly relate to that are: > 1. Is the order of sections correct? This brings up the issue of WAF Deployment Model. This should probably be one of the first items listed as the choice of deployment model directly impacts many other capabilities. > 2. Incorporating the German OWASP chapter work on the same subject: > http://www.owasp.org/index.php/Best_Practices:_Web_Application_Firewalls In my view, WAFEC would function as a sub-chapter within this document. The OWASP WAF Best Practices doc starts off discussing the rationale for even considering a WAF. Once they make this decision, they would use WAFEC to evaluate products. Once they choose a WAF, then they go back to the OWASP WAF Best Practices document for deciding how to integrate it and manage it. > > > ~ Ofer > > > From: Ofer Shezaf [mailto:ofer@shezaf.com] > Sent: Thursday, May 31, 2012 1:45 PM > To: wasc-wafec@lists.webappsec.org > Subject: WAFEC 2.0 phase 1: exploratory discussion (deadline: June 14th) > > Thanks to all who volunteered to contribute to this project going forward (and > those who didn¹t ­ you still can!) > > I would like to boot up the project with a short exploratory phase identifying > why we need a new release and therefore what we need in it. > > To guide the discussion, I think that the reasons we need v2 fall into two > categories: > 1. Things that have changed - new (or obsolete) deployment modes, > techniques, attacks, or even something new altogether. > 2. Issues we discovered in WAFEC over the years. Some issues I > encountered are identifying specific requirements and sorting out what¹s > important and what¹s not. > > From this discussion I hope to derive a mission statement, a tasks list and > therefore a schedule for the V2 project. All those will be the next phase. > > I would give this phase two weeks (until June 14th), however I am on vacation > from the 9th, so would accept input but not join the discussion on the last > few days. > > I would also want to thank Thorsten and Mirko for leading the project until > now. I do hope that I will get from you all more cooperation than they did! I > would also want to extend a personal apology to Thorsten and Mirko as the > leader switch was not well coordinated. Thorsten and I discussed this over the > last week and he gracefully agreed to let me give a try to leading this > project forward. > > Thank you all! > ~ Ofer > > Ofer Shezaf > [+972-54-4431119; ofer@shezaf.com, www.shezaf.com <http://www.shezaf.com> ] > > _______________________________________________ wasc-wafec mailing list > wasc-wafec@lists.webappsec.org > http://lists.webappsec.org/mailman/listinfo/wasc-wafec_lists.webappsec.org
KS
Kenneth Salchow
Thu, Jun 7, 2012 4:15 PM

On #1:

I think it is beneficial to at least make the ease with which a WAF does integrate with other solutions or a list of solutions that the WAF has documented integration with a criterion for a WAF.  No one is ever going to buy a WAF and deploy it by itself without anything else around it.

As a customer, I probably already have a number of other solutions and it would be extremely valuable for me to know if any given WAF innately integrates with those other solutions or has an easy, documented ability to do so.  I might also be looking at other solutions at the same time I am deploying a WAF and knowing what all my option are is also extremely valuable.

So ... we don't have to compare WAFs by saying "oh, we have SSL VPN and yours doesn't" as that is not a specific WAF criterion, but it is very relevant and important to a customer who is evaluating these devices to know if the solution will integrate with their existing VPN or has options available to integrate with one down the road. (and I just picked SSL VPN off the top of my head, it could be SSO or whatever).

KJ (Ken) Salchow, Jr. | Program Manager, Technical Certification

D 651.423.1133

M 612.868.1258

P 206.272.5555

F 206.272.5555

www.f5.comhttp://www.f5.com/

Thanks to all who volunteered to contribute to this project going forward (and those who didn't - you still can!)

I would like to boot up the project with a short exploratory phase identifying why we need a new release and therefore what we need in it.

To guide the discussion, I think that the reasons we need v2 fall into two categories:

  1. Things that have changed - new (or obsolete) deployment modes, techniques, attacks, or even something new altogether.

  2. Issues we discovered in WAFEC over the years. Some issues I encountered are identifying specific requirements and sorting out what's important and what's not.

From this discussion I hope to derive a mission statement, a tasks list and therefore a schedule for the V2 project. All those will be the next phase.

I would give this phase two weeks (until June 14th), however I am on vacation from the 9th, so would accept input but not join the discussion on the last few days.

I would also want to thank Thorsten and Mirko for leading the project until now. I do hope that I will get from you all more cooperation than they did! I would also want to extend a personal apology to Thorsten and Mirko as the leader switch was not well coordinated. Thorsten and I discussed this over the last week and he gracefully agreed to let me give a try to leading this project forward.

Thank you all!
~ Ofer

Ofer Shezaf
[+972-54-4431119; ofer@shezaf.commailto:ofer@shezaf.com, www.shezaf.comhttp://www.shezaf.com]

On #1: I think it is beneficial to at least make the ease with which a WAF *does* integrate with other solutions or a list of solutions that the WAF has documented integration with a criterion for a WAF. No one is ever going to buy a WAF and deploy it by itself without anything else around it. As a customer, I probably already have a number of other solutions and it would be extremely valuable for me to know if any given WAF innately integrates with those other solutions or has an easy, documented ability to do so. I might also be looking at other solutions at the same time I am deploying a WAF and knowing what all my option are is also extremely valuable. So ... we don't have to compare WAFs by saying "oh, we have SSL VPN and yours doesn't" as that is not a specific WAF criterion, but it *is* very relevant and important to a customer who is evaluating these devices to know if the solution will integrate with their existing VPN or has options available to integrate with one down the road. (and I just picked SSL VPN off the top of my head, it could be SSO or whatever). KJ (Ken) Salchow, Jr. | Program Manager, Technical Certification D 651.423.1133 M 612.868.1258 P 206.272.5555 F 206.272.5555 www.f5.com<http://www.f5.com/> [Description: Description: F5_Logo-TechCert_TM_042312sm] From: wasc-wafec-bounces@lists.webappsec.org [mailto:wasc-wafec-bounces@lists.webappsec.org] On Behalf Of Kit Wetzler Sent: Wednesday, June 06, 2012 4:10 PM To: wasc-wafec@lists.webappsec.org Subject: Re: [WASC-WAFEC] What should we change in WAFEC 2.0? 1. speaking on behalf of Citrix, I actually agree with Mark. I'd like our WAF to be evaluated on it's own merits. Yes, it integrates into the NetScaler ADC, but that shouldn't in the WAFEC. The WAFEC should be criteria to choose a WAF, not an entire ecosystem, as most WAF customers already have an ADC infrastructure of some sort. 2. Yes, cross site request forgery, etc (and many other threats) would be helpful. 3. From a use case perspective, it would be helpful to distinguish different products - proxying vs SPAN port vs transparent, and the level of blocking - RSTs, buffering and proxying the request, or just logging/alerting, etc. (all valid deployment models going towards different goals) 4. I'd like to see the list categorized into security features, logging/alerting, etc. This would help users of the list identify what is important and not important (which will vary quite a bit between use cases) 5. Agreed. It's up to the consumer to decide whether or not to fix code, and not the job of the WAFEC to decide that. 6. Agreed with Mark. The more we can make this a list that consumers can use to decide which solution to use, the more it will be used. -- Kit Wetzler Sr. Manager, Sales Engineering - West Region Citrix Systems, Inc Networking and Cloud Product Group (NetScaler, Branch Repeater and Access Gateway) 408.892.1424 kit.wetzler@citrix.com<mailto:kit.wetzler@citrix.com> From: wasc-wafec-bounces@lists.webappsec.org<mailto:wasc-wafec-bounces@lists.webappsec.org> [mailto:wasc-wafec-bounces@lists.webappsec.org]<mailto:[mailto:wasc-wafec-bounces@lists.webappsec.org]> On Behalf Of Mark Kraynak Sent: Wednesday, June 06, 2012 1:54 PM To: Ofer Shezaf; wasc-wafec@lists.webappsec.org<mailto:wasc-wafec@lists.webappsec.org> Subject: Re: [WASC-WAFEC] What should we change in WAFEC 2.0? My thoughts are: 1 - I agree with Ofer to remove the non WAF related criteria. I realize this will come down to the camp of those that focus on those things (e.g., Ido&F5) and those that don't (e.g., me&Imperva). Perhaps a compromise would be to have a section for "related capabilities" outside of the main flow. 2 - we need to have some sort of update on threats. This normally turns into a complicated discussion of the ontology of threat classification. Is there a way to avoid that? 3 - I think the issue that came up here was that the usage of the document and the content of it were at odds. In particular, when used as a template evaluation tool without any processing (which it often is), it results in conflicting "requirements" to evaluate against, especially with regard to deployment mode. I'd suggest taking a middle ground and keeping the deployment modes section, but changing the nature of the content to better explain and lend itself to a non-conflicting evaluation, but also to include customer goals / use cases as a section. I also think that the use cases section could help us solve #2. 4 - my opinion would be to keep a flat list, but to provide a tool that let's the customer adjust importance based on their needs. 5 - I would leave this out of the criteria (since WAFs don't fix code it doesn't make sense to have fixing code as an evaluation element). IMO, this is a better topic for a different kind of forum...this tool is supposed to be a tool to evaluate WAFs. 6 - I think really orienting the criteria to be useable framework for an actual evaluation will make this simpler. From: wasc-wafec-bounces@lists.webappsec.org<mailto:wasc-wafec-bounces@lists.webappsec.org> [mailto:wasc-wafec-bounces@lists.webappsec.org]<mailto:[mailto:wasc-wafec-bounces@lists.webappsec.org]> On Behalf Of Ofer Shezaf Sent: Wednesday, June 06, 2012 4:39 AM To: wasc-wafec@lists.webappsec.org<mailto:wasc-wafec@lists.webappsec.org> Subject: [WASC-WAFEC] What should we change in WAFEC 2.0? Since you are all very quiet, I understand that WAFEC 2 will solve my pain and needs only :) To that end, let me start with summarizing issues raised in the previous discussions on the mailing list (which I actually went and read...). No specific order intended. This is what you wrote, though I must say I think it captures well the issues I am aware of and that generally speaking I agree with most. 1. Remove non WAF related criteria for example around application delivery. * While integrating a WAF with other solutions is compelling to the client, it is not directly about WAFs and is also unbounded. This does present the challenge deciding what is relevant to a WAF in border cases such as an SSO functionality 2. Update the list of threats covered 3. Focus on customer use cases rather than how a WAF operates * I think there was some hidden controversy here as I read opinions to focus on "technical" which I take to be opposite. I personally very much agree with this comment. 4. Not just a laundry list - * Classify the importance of requirements. I believe that a minimal approach specifying several levels, for example: "mandatory", "important", "nice to have" and "site specific". * Another complementing idea is to classify requirements as "security"/"functionality"/"performance" etc. letting the user determine if he prefers security over functionality etc. * This would also provide the minimum requirements for a solution to be a WAF - the "mandatory" requirements. * Regarding site specific requirements, it should be easy to the user to determine his own requirements, for example using a decision tree. 5. The "ethical" questions: * How to address alternative solutions such as fixing the code? 6. Outreach - beyond the document * Approaching NSS, ICSA and the likes to use WAFEC * Release process, PR etc. * Managing a list of public references to WAFEC * Promote actual evaluations data sharing - No more spreadsheets. 7. Specific notes on V1, I have collected for further work. A major question raised with opinions on both sides was a re-write vs. an update. I do think that understanding the requirements should direct that. Some issues raised which directly relate to that are: 1. Is the order of sections correct? 2. Incorporating the German OWASP chapter work on the same subject: http://www.owasp.org/index.php/Best_Practices:_Web_Application_Firewalls ~ Ofer From: Ofer Shezaf [mailto:ofer@shezaf.com] Sent: Thursday, May 31, 2012 1:45 PM To: wasc-wafec@lists.webappsec.org<mailto:wasc-wafec@lists.webappsec.org> Subject: WAFEC 2.0 phase 1: exploratory discussion (deadline: June 14th) Thanks to all who volunteered to contribute to this project going forward (and those who didn't - you still can!) I would like to boot up the project with a short exploratory phase identifying why we need a new release and therefore what we need in it. To guide the discussion, I think that the reasons we need v2 fall into two categories: 1. Things that have changed - new (or obsolete) deployment modes, techniques, attacks, or even something new altogether. 2. Issues we discovered in WAFEC over the years. Some issues I encountered are identifying specific requirements and sorting out what's important and what's not. >From this discussion I hope to derive a mission statement, a tasks list and therefore a schedule for the V2 project. All those will be the next phase. I would give this phase two weeks (until June 14th), however I am on vacation from the 9th, so would accept input but not join the discussion on the last few days. I would also want to thank Thorsten and Mirko for leading the project until now. I do hope that I will get from you all more cooperation than they did! I would also want to extend a personal apology to Thorsten and Mirko as the leader switch was not well coordinated. Thorsten and I discussed this over the last week and he gracefully agreed to let me give a try to leading this project forward. Thank you all! ~ Ofer Ofer Shezaf [+972-54-4431119; ofer@shezaf.com<mailto:ofer@shezaf.com>, www.shezaf.com<http://www.shezaf.com>]