wasc-wafec@lists.webappsec.org

WASC Web Application Firewall Evaluation Criteria Project Mailing List

View all threads

Making WAFEC a joined WASC/OWASP project

OS
Ofer Shezaf
Wed, Oct 31, 2012 9:33 AM

Hi All,

I have been contemplating the idea of making WAFEC a joined WASC/OWASP
project and talked with several of you as well as with OWASP leaders on the
idea. The reasons I think are clear:

.        For good or bad, OWASP outreach is much bigger.

.        WASC is perceived as a "vendors' organization" and the list of
participants in WAFEC certainly proves that. Affiliation with OWASP will
help popularize WAFEC also with customers.

In my talks with OWASP leaders I put two requirements to reflect the "joined
project" concept that were accepted:

.        The name, when affiliation is used, would be "The WASC/OWASP Web
Application Firewall Evaluation Criteria".

.        Governance would be mutual, i.e. any decision about the project
which is not within the project team itself has to be agreed upon by the
OWASP GPC (i.e. Project Committee) and by the WASC officers.

I would like to get your input on this suggestion and then vote on it. I do
want to say I feel pretty strongly that this is essential for WAFEC
acceptance and success.

I do also remind you that I still wait for your input on the outline draft I
distributed. If I get no remarks and volunteers I will: (a) take it as a
yes, and (b) start working on sections I choose to own.

~ Ofer

Ofer Shezaf

[+972-54-4431119; ofer@shezaf.com, www.shezaf.com]

Hi All, I have been contemplating the idea of making WAFEC a joined WASC/OWASP project and talked with several of you as well as with OWASP leaders on the idea. The reasons I think are clear: . For good or bad, OWASP outreach is much bigger. . WASC is perceived as a "vendors' organization" and the list of participants in WAFEC certainly proves that. Affiliation with OWASP will help popularize WAFEC also with customers. In my talks with OWASP leaders I put two requirements to reflect the "joined project" concept that were accepted: . The name, when affiliation is used, would be "The WASC/OWASP Web Application Firewall Evaluation Criteria". . Governance would be mutual, i.e. any decision about the project which is not within the project team itself has to be agreed upon by the OWASP GPC (i.e. Project Committee) and by the WASC officers. I would like to get your input on this suggestion and then vote on it. I do want to say I feel pretty strongly that this is essential for WAFEC acceptance and success. I do also remind you that I still wait for your input on the outline draft I distributed. If I get no remarks and volunteers I will: (a) take it as a yes, and (b) start working on sections I choose to own. ~ Ofer Ofer Shezaf [+972-54-4431119; ofer@shezaf.com, www.shezaf.com]
CH
Christian Heinrich
Thu, Nov 1, 2012 6:27 AM

Ofer,

I would prefer that we defer until the events of the recent
https://www.owasp.org/index.php/Membership/2012_Election and their
elected officials have taken office (from January 2013) for a period
of time (say February 2013?) before voting on this.

I don't believe that this period is too long considering I have
participated in the development of WAFEC since February 2011.

--
Regards,
Christian Heinrich

http://cmlh.id.au/contact

Ofer, I would prefer that we defer until the events of the recent https://www.owasp.org/index.php/Membership/2012_Election and their elected officials have taken office (from January 2013) for a period of time (say February 2013?) before voting on this. I don't believe that this period is too long considering I have participated in the development of WAFEC since February 2011. On Wed, Oct 31, 2012 at 8:33 PM, Ofer Shezaf <ofer@shezaf.com> wrote: > I would like to get your input on this suggestion and then vote on it. I do > want to say I feel pretty strongly that this is essential for WAFEC > acceptance and success. -- Regards, Christian Heinrich http://cmlh.id.au/contact
OS
Ofer Shezaf
Thu, Nov 1, 2012 7:14 AM

Christian,

I don't think the OWASP elections are of essence in this case. Neither
organizations nor projects should stop due to elections, and in any case the
elections have taken place and the not much has changed on the board.

~ Ofer

I would prefer that we defer until the events of the recent
https://www.owasp.org/index.php/Membership/2012_Election and their elected
officials have taken office (from January 2013) for a period of time (say
February 2013?) before voting on this.

I don't believe that this period is too long considering I have participated
in the development of WAFEC since February 2011.

On Wed, Oct 31, 2012 at 8:33 PM, Ofer Shezaf ofer@shezaf.com wrote:

I would like to get your input on this suggestion and then vote on it.
I do want to say I feel pretty strongly that this is essential for
WAFEC acceptance and success.

--
Regards,
Christian Heinrich

http://cmlh.id.au/contact

Christian, I don't think the OWASP elections are of essence in this case. Neither organizations nor projects should stop due to elections, and in any case the elections have taken place and the not much has changed on the board. ~ Ofer -----Original Message----- From: Christian Heinrich [mailto:christian.heinrich@cmlh.id.au] Sent: Thursday, November 01, 2012 8:28 AM To: Ofer Shezaf Cc: wasc-wafec@lists.webappsec.org Subject: Re: [WASC-WAFEC] Making WAFEC a joined WASC/OWASP project Ofer, I would prefer that we defer until the events of the recent https://www.owasp.org/index.php/Membership/2012_Election and their elected officials have taken office (from January 2013) for a period of time (say February 2013?) before voting on this. I don't believe that this period is too long considering I have participated in the development of WAFEC since February 2011. On Wed, Oct 31, 2012 at 8:33 PM, Ofer Shezaf <ofer@shezaf.com> wrote: > I would like to get your input on this suggestion and then vote on it. > I do want to say I feel pretty strongly that this is essential for > WAFEC acceptance and success. -- Regards, Christian Heinrich http://cmlh.id.au/contact
CH
Christian Heinrich
Thu, Nov 1, 2012 8:32 AM

Ofer,

On Thu, Nov 1, 2012 at 6:14 PM, Ofer Shezaf ofer@shezaf.com wrote:

I don't think the OWASP elections are of essence in this case. Neither
organizations nor projects should stop due to elections, and in any case

the

elections have taken place and the not much has changed on the board.

The stability of the OWASP Board is of the upmost importance and their recent
election is under dispute
.

However, I don't believe that a formal relationship with OWASP would
provide WAFEC with any additional benefit and would greatly harm WAFEC:

  1. Trustwave dominate the OWASP Board and have exerted the influence to
    manipulate various outcomes to their sole benefit e.g.
    https://lists.owasp.org/pipermail/committees-chairs/2011-September/000574.html

  2. The OWASP GPC is abused by Aspect Security to maintain exclusive
    control of various projects, such as the
    https://lists.owasp.org/pipermail/global-projects-committee/2011-August/002311.htmli.e.
    Jason Li, Arshan Dabirsiaghi and Juan Carlos Calderon are all
    employees of Aspect Security and neither has development continued on
    owasp-java-waf since this e-mail by Juan (who had nothing to do with these
    politics at the time of this event as he was not an Aspect Security
    employee at the time).

  3. OWASP own admission is that WASC has further reach via our
    websecurity@mailing list i.e.
    http://lists.owasp.org/pipermail/owasp-board/2007-March/005552.html and
    this is further supported by their continued spam of WASC mailing lists
    i.e. https://www.google.com.au/search?q=site:lists.webappsec.org+owasp

Ultimately, OWASP intents to dissolve WASC and take ownership of our high
quality projects from the WASC Board i.e. "Talking about WASC, we should
merge :) (as in WASC joins OWASP , and OWASP keeps the brand)
" as quoted
from http://lists.owasp.org/pipermail/owasp-board/2007-July/005773.html.

Furthermore, I will no longer be able to participate in WAFEC as I have
been terminated (without a corresponding bylaw) from OWASP even thought it
is widely disputed that I won both the unfair trial and flawed appeal when
the OWASP Board deliberately chose not to consider natural justice,
procedural fairness or impartiality and the OWASP Board has deliberately
withheld the release of information i.e.
http://lists.owasp.org/pipermail/owasp-leaders/2012-February/006827.html

Going forward, the relationship I would support would be promoting WAFEC on
https://lists.owasp.org/listinfo/owasp-leaders as
https://www.owasp.org/index.php/User:Oshezaf and I am also willing to
consider an offer from OWASP to promote the final release of WAFECv2 on
their owasp-all@ mailing list?

--
Regards,
Christian Heinrich

http://cmlh.id.au/contact

Ofer, On Thu, Nov 1, 2012 at 6:14 PM, Ofer Shezaf <ofer@shezaf.com> wrote: > I don't think the OWASP elections are of essence in this case. Neither > organizations nor projects should stop due to elections, and in any case the > elections have taken place and the not much has changed on the board. The stability of the OWASP Board is of the upmost importance and their *recent election is under dispute*. However, I don't believe that a formal relationship with OWASP would provide WAFEC with any additional benefit and *would greatly harm WAFEC*: 1. *Trustwave dominate the OWASP Board* and have exerted the influence to manipulate various outcomes to their sole benefit e.g. https://lists.owasp.org/pipermail/committees-chairs/2011-September/000574.html 2. The OWASP *GPC is abused by Aspect Security* to maintain exclusive control of various projects, such as the https://lists.owasp.org/pipermail/global-projects-committee/2011-August/002311.htmli.e. Jason Li, Arshan Dabirsiaghi and Juan Carlos Calderon are all employees of Aspect Security and neither has development continued on owasp-java-waf since this e-mail by Juan (who had nothing to do with these politics at the time of this event as he was not an Aspect Security employee at the time). 3. *OWASP own admission is that WASC has further reach* via our websecurity@mailing list i.e. http://lists.owasp.org/pipermail/owasp-board/2007-March/005552.html and this is further supported by their continued spam of WASC mailing lists i.e. https://www.google.com.au/search?q=site:lists.webappsec.org+owasp Ultimately, OWASP intents to dissolve WASC and take ownership of our high quality projects from the WASC Board i.e. "*Talking about WASC, we should merge :) (as in WASC joins OWASP , and OWASP keeps the brand)*" as quoted from http://lists.owasp.org/pipermail/owasp-board/2007-July/005773.html. Furthermore, I will no longer be able to participate in WAFEC as I have been terminated (without a corresponding bylaw) from OWASP even thought it is widely disputed that I won both the unfair trial and flawed appeal when the OWASP Board deliberately chose not to consider natural justice, procedural fairness or impartiality and the OWASP Board has deliberately withheld the release of information i.e. http://lists.owasp.org/pipermail/owasp-leaders/2012-February/006827.html Going forward, the relationship I would support would be promoting WAFEC on https://lists.owasp.org/listinfo/owasp-leaders as https://www.owasp.org/index.php/User:Oshezaf and I am also willing to consider an offer from OWASP to promote the final release of WAFECv2 on their owasp-all@ mailing list? -- Regards, Christian Heinrich http://cmlh.id.au/contact
JW
Jeff Williams
Thu, Nov 1, 2012 10:19 AM

Hi Ofer,

Thanks for the laugh.  If OWASP can help promote WAFEC, then of course you're welcome.

--Jeff

On Nov 1, 2012, at 4:33 AM, "Christian Heinrich" christian.heinrich@cmlh.id.au wrote:

[...]

Hi Ofer, Thanks for the laugh. If OWASP can help promote WAFEC, then of course you're welcome. --Jeff On Nov 1, 2012, at 4:33 AM, "Christian Heinrich" <christian.heinrich@cmlh.id.au> wrote: > Ofer, > > On Thu, Nov 1, 2012 at 6:14 PM, Ofer Shezaf <ofer@shezaf.com> wrote: > > I don't think the OWASP elections are of essence in this case. Neither > > organizations nor projects should stop due to elections, and in any case the > > elections have taken place and the not much has changed on the board. > > The stability of the OWASP Board is of the upmost importance and their recent election is under dispute. > > However, I don't believe that a formal relationship with OWASP would provide WAFEC with any additional benefit and would greatly harm WAFEC: > > 1. Trustwave dominate the OWASP Board and have exerted the influence to manipulate various outcomes to their sole benefit e.g. https://lists.owasp.org/pipermail/committees-chairs/2011-September/000574.html > > 2. The OWASP GPC is abused by Aspect Security to maintain exclusive control of various projects, such as the https://lists.owasp.org/pipermail/global-projects-committee/2011-August/002311.html i.e. Jason Li, Arshan Dabirsiaghi and Juan Carlos Calderon are all employees of Aspect Security and neither has development continued on owasp-java-waf since this e-mail by Juan (who had nothing to do with these politics at the time of this event as he was not an Aspect Security employee at the time). > > 3. OWASP own admission is that WASC has further reach via our websecurity@ mailing list i.e. http://lists.owasp.org/pipermail/owasp-board/2007-March/005552.html and this is further supported by their continued spam of WASC mailing lists i.e. https://www.google.com.au/search?q=site:lists.webappsec.org+owasp > > Ultimately, OWASP intents to dissolve WASC and take ownership of our high quality projects from the WASC Board i.e. "Talking about WASC, we should merge :) (as in WASC joins OWASP , and OWASP keeps the brand)" as quoted from http://lists.owasp.org/pipermail/owasp-board/2007-July/005773.html. > > Furthermore, I will no longer be able to participate in WAFEC as I have been terminated (without a corresponding bylaw) from OWASP even thought it is widely disputed that I won both the unfair trial and flawed appeal when the OWASP Board deliberately chose not to consider natural justice, procedural fairness or impartiality and the OWASP Board has deliberately withheld the release of information i.e. http://lists.owasp.org/pipermail/owasp-leaders/2012-February/006827.html > > Going forward, the relationship I would support would be promoting WAFEC on https://lists.owasp.org/listinfo/owasp-leaders as https://www.owasp.org/index.php/User:Oshezaf and I am also willing to consider an offer from OWASP to promote the final release of WAFECv2 on their owasp-all@ mailing list? > > > -- > Regards, > Christian Heinrich > > http://cmlh.id.au/contact > _______________________________________________ > wasc-wafec mailing list > wasc-wafec@lists.webappsec.org > http://lists.webappsec.org/mailman/listinfo/wasc-wafec_lists.webappsec.org
OS
Ofer Shezaf
Thu, Nov 1, 2012 10:24 AM

Thanks Jeff.

I would like to make two comments on Christian’s e-mail:

·        While I am not in agreement, I value his opinion and welcome him sharing it on the list.

·        I will make sure that such a move does not prevent Christian from participating in WAFEC due his dispute with OWASP. Whether he chooses to participate is his own choice.

[...]

Thanks Jeff. I would like to make two comments on Christian’s e-mail: · While I am not in agreement, I value his opinion and welcome him sharing it on the list. · I will make sure that such a move does not prevent Christian from participating in WAFEC due his dispute with OWASP. Whether he chooses to participate is his own choice. ~ Ofer From: Jeff Williams [mailto:jeff.williams@aspectsecurity.com] Sent: Thursday, November 01, 2012 12:20 PM To: Christian Heinrich Cc: Ofer Shezaf; wasc-wafec@lists.webappsec.org Subject: Re: [WASC-WAFEC] Making WAFEC a joined WASC/OWASP project Hi Ofer, Thanks for the laugh. If OWASP can help promote WAFEC, then of course you're welcome. --Jeff On Nov 1, 2012, at 4:33 AM, "Christian Heinrich" <christian.heinrich@cmlh.id.au> wrote: Ofer, On Thu, Nov 1, 2012 at 6:14 PM, Ofer Shezaf <ofer@shezaf.com> wrote: > I don't think the OWASP elections are of essence in this case. Neither > organizations nor projects should stop due to elections, and in any case the > elections have taken place and the not much has changed on the board. The stability of the OWASP Board is of the upmost importance and their recent election is under dispute. However, I don't believe that a formal relationship with OWASP would provide WAFEC with any additional benefit and would greatly harm WAFEC: 1. Trustwave dominate the OWASP Board and have exerted the influence to manipulate various outcomes to their sole benefit e.g. https://lists.owasp.org/pipermail/committees-chairs/2011-September/000574.html 2. The OWASP GPC is abused by Aspect Security to maintain exclusive control of various projects, such as the https://lists.owasp.org/pipermail/global-projects-committee/2011-August/002311.html i.e. Jason Li, Arshan Dabirsiaghi and Juan Carlos Calderon are all employees of Aspect Security and neither has development continued on owasp-java-waf since this e-mail by Juan (who had nothing to do with these politics at the time of this event as he was not an Aspect Security employee at the time). 3. OWASP own admission is that WASC has further reach via our websecurity@ mailing list i.e. http://lists.owasp.org/pipermail/owasp-board/2007-March/005552.html and this is further supported by their continued spam of WASC mailing lists i.e. https://www.google.com.au/search?q=site:lists.webappsec.org+owasp Ultimately, OWASP intents to dissolve WASC and take ownership of our high quality projects from the WASC Board i.e. "Talking about WASC, we should merge :) (as in WASC joins OWASP , and OWASP keeps the brand)" as quoted from http://lists.owasp.org/pipermail/owasp-board/2007-July/005773.html. Furthermore, I will no longer be able to participate in WAFEC as I have been terminated (without a corresponding bylaw) from OWASP even thought it is widely disputed that I won both the unfair trial and flawed appeal when the OWASP Board deliberately chose not to consider natural justice, procedural fairness or impartiality and the OWASP Board has deliberately withheld the release of information i.e. http://lists.owasp.org/pipermail/owasp-leaders/2012-February/006827.html Going forward, the relationship I would support would be promoting WAFEC on https://lists.owasp.org/listinfo/owasp-leaders as https://www.owasp.org/index.php/User:Oshezaf and I am also willing to consider an offer from OWASP to promote the final release of WAFECv2 on their owasp-all@ mailing list? -- Regards, Christian Heinrich http://cmlh.id.au/contact _______________________________________________ wasc-wafec mailing list wasc-wafec@lists.webappsec.org http://lists.webappsec.org/mailman/listinfo/wasc-wafec_lists.webappsec.org
DW
Dirk Wetter
Thu, Nov 1, 2012 7:45 PM

Am 10/31/2012 10:33 AM, schrieb Ofer Shezaf:

[...]

As far as for both sides this is acceptable: strong +1 from me.

and then vote on it. I do want to say I feel pretty strongly that this is essential for WAFEC
acceptance and success.

I do also remind you that I still wait for your input on the outline draft
I distributed. If I get no remarks and volunteers I will: (a) take it as a
yes, and (b) start working on sections I choose to own.

Good plan.

Dirk

Am 10/31/2012 10:33 AM, schrieb Ofer Shezaf: > Hi All, > > I have been contemplating the idea of making WAFEC a joined WASC/OWASP > project and talked with several of you as well as with OWASP leaders on the > idea. The reasons I think are clear: > > · For good or bad, OWASP outreach is much bigger. > > · WASC is perceived as a “vendors’ organization” and the list of > participants in WAFEC certainly proves that. Affiliation with OWASP will > help popularize WAFEC also with customers. > > > > In my talks with OWASP leaders I put two requirements to reflect the > “joined project” concept that were accepted: > > · The name, when affiliation is used, would be “The WASC/OWASP Web > Application Firewall Evaluation Criteria”. > > · Governance would be mutual, i.e. any decision about the project > which is not within the project team itself has to be agreed upon by the > OWASP GPC (i.e. Project Committee) and by the WASC officers. > > > > I would like to get your input on this suggestion As far as for both sides this is acceptable: strong +1 from me. > and then vote on it. I do want to say I feel pretty strongly that this is essential for WAFEC > acceptance and success. > > > I do also remind you that I still wait for your input on the outline draft > I distributed. If I get no remarks and volunteers I will: (a) take it as a > yes, and (b) start working on sections I choose to own. Good plan. Dirk > > > > ~ Ofer > > > > Ofer Shezaf > > [+972-54-4431119; ofer@shezaf.com <mailto:ofer@shezaf.com>, www.shezaf.com] > > > > > > _______________________________________________ > wasc-wafec mailing list > wasc-wafec@lists.webappsec.org > http://lists.webappsec.org/mailman/listinfo/wasc-wafec_lists.webappsec.org >