websecurity@lists.webappsec.org

The Web Security Mailing List

View all threads

Introducing WPScan – WordPress Security Scanner

RD
Ryan Dewhurst
Thu, Jun 16, 2011 3:13 PM

After creating the WordPress Brute Force Tool last weekend, I decided
to create a bigger project out of it, called WPScan.

WPScan is a black box WordPress Security Scanner written in Ruby which
attempts to find known security weaknesses within WordPress
installations. Its intended use it to be for security professionals or
WordPress administrators to asses the security posture of their
WordPress installations. The code base is Open Source and licensed
under the GPLv3.

Features include:

Username enumeration (from ?author)
Weak password cracking (multithreaded)
Version enumeration (from generator meta tag)
Vulnerability enumeration (based on version)
Plugin enumeration (todo)
Plugin vulnerability enumeration (based on version) (todo)
Other miscellaneous checks

Installation:

WPScan requires two non native Ruby gems, typhoeus and xml-simple. It
should work on both Ruby 1.8.x and 1.9.x.

sudo apt-get install libcurl4-gnutls-dev
sudo gem install –user-install typhoeus
sudo gem install –user-install xml-simple

(I developed WPScan on Backtrack5 Gnome 32bit, if installing on
another OS, you may not need the –user-install option when installing
the non native gems)

Download:

WPScan will be hosted on Google Code at http://code.google.com/p/wpscan/.

You can download and start running WPScan ALPHA by checking out the SVN trunk.
“svn checkout http://wpscan.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/ wpscan-read-only”

Example usage:

Examples:
ruby wpscan.rb –url www.example.com
ruby wpscan.rb –url www.example.com –wordlist darkc0de.lst –threads 50
ruby wpscan.rb –url www.example.com –wordlist darkc0de.lst –username admin

Contributions, feedback, comments are welcome.

Happy Hacking!

Ryan Dewhurst

blog www.ethicalhack3r.co.uk
projects www.dvwa.co.uk | www.webwordcount.com
twitter www.twitter.com/ethicalhack3r

[...]
seth
Sun, Jun 19, 2011 7:14 AM

I have started a wp scanner but lost the files before finishing and
never started again. It had three ways of identifying the version:
Generator meta tag
Readme file (you already download it, and the only valuable information
i see is the version number. Why not showing it?)
Downloading some javascript, css, images, etc. Then comparing the hashes
of these files against an array that was like [file][hash]=>version
Hope it's usefull
On 16/06/11 12:13, Ryan Dewhurst wrote:

[...]

This list is sponsored by Cenzic

Let Us Hack You. Before Hackers Do!
It's Finally Here - The Cenzic Website HealthCheck. FREE.
Request Yours Now!
http://www.cenzic.com/2009HClaunch_Securityfocus

I have started a wp scanner but lost the files before finishing and never started again. It had three ways of identifying the version: Generator meta tag Readme file (you already download it, and the only valuable information i see is the version number. Why not showing it?) Downloading some javascript, css, images, etc. Then comparing the hashes of these files against an array that was like [file][hash]=>version Hope it's usefull On 16/06/11 12:13, Ryan Dewhurst wrote: > After creating the WordPress Brute Force Tool last weekend, I decided > to create a bigger project out of it, called WPScan. > > WPScan is a black box WordPress Security Scanner written in Ruby which > attempts to find known security weaknesses within WordPress > installations. Its intended use it to be for security professionals or > WordPress administrators to asses the security posture of their > WordPress installations. The code base is Open Source and licensed > under the GPLv3. > > Features include: > > Username enumeration (from ?author) > Weak password cracking (multithreaded) > Version enumeration (from generator meta tag) > Vulnerability enumeration (based on version) > Plugin enumeration (todo) > Plugin vulnerability enumeration (based on version) (todo) > Other miscellaneous checks > > Installation: > > WPScan requires two non native Ruby gems, typhoeus and xml-simple. It > should work on both Ruby 1.8.x and 1.9.x. > > sudo apt-get install libcurl4-gnutls-dev > sudo gem install –user-install typhoeus > sudo gem install –user-install xml-simple > > (I developed WPScan on Backtrack5 Gnome 32bit, if installing on > another OS, you may not need the –user-install option when installing > the non native gems) > > Download: > > WPScan will be hosted on Google Code at http://code.google.com/p/wpscan/. > > You can download and start running WPScan ALPHA by checking out the SVN trunk. > “svn checkout http://wpscan.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/ wpscan-read-only” > > Example usage: > > Examples: > ruby wpscan.rb –url www.example.com > ruby wpscan.rb –url www.example.com –wordlist darkc0de.lst –threads 50 > ruby wpscan.rb –url www.example.com –wordlist darkc0de.lst –username admin > > Contributions, feedback, comments are welcome. > > Happy Hacking! > > Ryan Dewhurst > > blog www.ethicalhack3r.co.uk > projects www.dvwa.co.uk | www.webwordcount.com > twitter www.twitter.com/ethicalhack3r > > > > This list is sponsored by Cenzic > -------------------------------------- > Let Us Hack You. Before Hackers Do! > It's Finally Here - The Cenzic Website HealthCheck. FREE. > Request Yours Now! > http://www.cenzic.com/2009HClaunch_Securityfocus > -------------------------------------- >
CW
Chris Weber
Mon, Jun 20, 2011 4:49 PM

Ryan - I'm I correct that the two methods you use for identifying the WP
version are:

a) Parse the readme.html file for the version number
b) Parse the meta tag generator content for the WP version number

In the case where both of these failed, what do you do?  Does Seth's plan of
comparing hashes of the js/css/other files sound like it would work?

-Chris

I have started a wp scanner but lost the files before finishing and never
started again. It had three ways of identifying the version:
Generator meta tag
Readme file (you already download it, and the only valuable information i
see is the version number. Why not showing it?) Downloading some javascript,
css, images, etc. Then comparing the hashes of these files against an array
that was like [file][hash]=>version Hope it's usefull

Ryan - I'm I correct that the two methods you use for identifying the WP version are: a) Parse the readme.html file for the version number b) Parse the meta tag generator content for the WP version number In the case where both of these failed, what do you do? Does Seth's plan of comparing hashes of the js/css/other files sound like it would work? -Chris -----Original Message----- From: websecurity-bounces@lists.webappsec.org [mailto:websecurity-bounces@lists.webappsec.org] On Behalf Of seth Sent: Sunday, June 19, 2011 12:14 AM To: ryandewhurst@gmail.com Cc: webappsec@securityfocus.com; websecurity@webappsec.org Subject: Re: [WEB SECURITY] Introducing WPScan - WordPress Security Scanner I have started a wp scanner but lost the files before finishing and never started again. It had three ways of identifying the version: Generator meta tag Readme file (you already download it, and the only valuable information i see is the version number. Why not showing it?) Downloading some javascript, css, images, etc. Then comparing the hashes of these files against an array that was like [file][hash]=>version Hope it's usefull
dd@sucuri.net
Mon, Jun 20, 2011 4:58 PM

Comparing the hashes of some js/css file is probably the most reliable
method, since lots of sites
hide their version from the generator and remove the readme file.

We wrote an article about it a while ago:
http://tools.sucuri.net/?page=docs&title=fingerprinting-web-apps

And we still use that on our scanner ( http://sitecheck.sucuri.net ) :)

Thanks,

On Mon, Jun 20, 2011 at 1:49 PM, Chris Weber chris@casabasecurity.com wrote:

[...]

WebSecurity RSS Feed
http://www.webappsec.org/rss/websecurity.rss

Join WASC on LinkedIn http://www.linkedin.com/e/gis/83336/4B20E4374DBA

WASC on Twitter
http://twitter.com/wascupdates

websecurity@lists.webappsec.org

Comparing the hashes of some js/css file is probably the most reliable method, since lots of sites hide their version from the generator and remove the readme file. We wrote an article about it a while ago: http://tools.sucuri.net/?page=docs&title=fingerprinting-web-apps And we still use that on our scanner ( http://sitecheck.sucuri.net ) :) Thanks, On Mon, Jun 20, 2011 at 1:49 PM, Chris Weber <chris@casabasecurity.com> wrote: > Ryan - I'm I correct that the two methods you use for identifying the WP > version are: > > a) Parse the readme.html file for the version number > b) Parse the meta tag generator content for the WP version number > > In the case where both of these failed, what do you do?  Does Seth's plan of > comparing hashes of the js/css/other files sound like it would work? > > -Chris > > > -----Original Message----- > From: websecurity-bounces@lists.webappsec.org > [mailto:websecurity-bounces@lists.webappsec.org] On Behalf Of seth > Sent: Sunday, June 19, 2011 12:14 AM > To: ryandewhurst@gmail.com > Cc: webappsec@securityfocus.com; websecurity@webappsec.org > Subject: Re: [WEB SECURITY] Introducing WPScan - WordPress Security Scanner > > I have started a wp scanner but lost the files before finishing and never > started again. It had three ways of identifying the version: > Generator meta tag > Readme file (you already download it, and the only valuable information i > see is the version number. Why not showing it?) Downloading some javascript, > css, images, etc. Then comparing the hashes of these files against an array > that was like [file][hash]=>version Hope it's usefull > > > > _______________________________________________ > The Web Security Mailing List > > WebSecurity RSS Feed > http://www.webappsec.org/rss/websecurity.rss > > Join WASC on LinkedIn http://www.linkedin.com/e/gis/83336/4B20E4374DBA > > WASC on Twitter > http://twitter.com/wascupdates > > websecurity@lists.webappsec.org > http://lists.webappsec.org/mailman/listinfo/websecurity_lists.webappsec.org >
CW
Chris Weber
Mon, Jun 20, 2011 5:04 PM

dd, have you open sourced any parts of  your production code, such as the
fingerprinting data?  Or do we each need to do that work independently?

And have you detected any edge cases - for example a Web server that
includes an extra newline character in the body?

-Chris