websecurity@lists.webappsec.org

The Web Security Mailing List

View all threads

PROJECT - competition landscape for APPSEC

DD
daryl d
Mon, Apr 29, 2013 8:00 PM

Hi All,

I need detailed information of current application security competition
landscape for one of my university projects. Any pointers to same shall be
helpful. Thanks in advance.

Thanks,
Daryl

Hi All, I need detailed information of current application security competition landscape for one of my university projects. Any pointers to same shall be helpful. Thanks in advance. Thanks, Daryl
AM
Ahmed Masud
Tue, Apr 30, 2013 6:15 PM

My Sincerest apologies for pushing this out on webappsec.org and
securityfocus.com but I thought it would serve as a general guideline
as to what I do and do not expect to receive from a mailing list.  I
don't expect emails like the one sent out by Daryl.

Daryl:

A couple of points on etiquette: Your requirement is rather vague and
sounds very much like homework that you don't wish to do yourself. If
that's not the case you should explain what your project is, so that
someone who may be kind enough to help you can actually understand the
context and give you something useful rather than expecting a
data-dump.  My suggestion would be to set up a simple to answer
questionnaire around your inquiry so someone can answer it easily and
then you can ask more detailed questions around that in follow-ups.
It's a lot better than just saying "what's the current application
security competition landscape" ...A vague question like that would
result in a curt answer like go pay money to www.gartner.com;

A better forum for this would be one of the stackexchange.com venues.
If you formulate your question in a more appropriate way directly to
me; I will be happy to answer it.

Sincerely,

Ahmed Masud ahmed.masud@trustifier.com

Trustifier Inc.
CEO
C: 613-875-0971

On Mon, Apr 29, 2013 at 4:00 PM, daryl d darylcoz@gmail.com wrote:

Hi All,

I need detailed information of current application security competition
landscape for one of my university projects. Any pointers to same shall be
helpful. Thanks in advance.

Thanks,
Daryl

The Web Security Mailing List

WebSecurity RSS Feed
http://www.webappsec.org/rss/websecurity.rss

Join WASC on LinkedIn http://www.linkedin.com/e/gis/83336/4B20E4374DBA

WASC on Twitter
http://twitter.com/wascupdates

websecurity@lists.webappsec.org

My Sincerest apologies for pushing this out on webappsec.org and securityfocus.com but I thought it would serve as a general guideline as to what I do and do not expect to receive from a mailing list. I don't expect emails like the one sent out by Daryl. Daryl: A couple of points on etiquette: Your requirement is rather vague and sounds very much like homework that you don't wish to do yourself. If that's not the case you should explain what your project is, so that someone who may be kind enough to help you can actually understand the context and give you something useful rather than expecting a data-dump. My suggestion would be to set up a simple to answer questionnaire around your inquiry so someone can answer it easily and then you can ask more detailed questions around that in follow-ups. It's a lot better than just saying "what's the current application security competition landscape" ...A vague question like that would result in a curt answer like go pay money to www.gartner.com; A better forum for this would be one of the stackexchange.com venues. If you formulate your question in a more appropriate way directly to me; I will be happy to answer it. Sincerely, Ahmed Masud <ahmed.masud@trustifier.com> Trustifier Inc. CEO C: 613-875-0971 On Mon, Apr 29, 2013 at 4:00 PM, daryl d <darylcoz@gmail.com> wrote: > Hi All, > > I need detailed information of current application security competition > landscape for one of my university projects. Any pointers to same shall be > helpful. Thanks in advance. > > Thanks, > Daryl > > _______________________________________________ > The Web Security Mailing List > > WebSecurity RSS Feed > http://www.webappsec.org/rss/websecurity.rss > > Join WASC on LinkedIn http://www.linkedin.com/e/gis/83336/4B20E4374DBA > > WASC on Twitter > http://twitter.com/wascupdates > > websecurity@lists.webappsec.org > http://lists.webappsec.org/mailman/listinfo/websecurity_lists.webappsec.org >
DH
Daniel Herrera
Wed, May 1, 2013 10:00 PM

Really? You have CEO in your title and you have enough time to chastise a college student on his etiquette on a mailing list? Ridiculous. On the whole his question was written in nearly complete english which passes my bar for acceptable submission to this list.

Daryl,

Are you referring more towards CTFs or CCDC competitions?

Thanks,

[...]

Really? You have CEO in your title and you have enough time to chastise a college student on his etiquette on a mailing list? Ridiculous. On the whole his question was written in nearly complete english which passes my bar for acceptable submission to this list. Daryl, Are you referring more towards CTFs or CCDC competitions? Thanks, D --- On Tue, 4/30/13, Ahmed Masud <ahmed.masud@trustifier.com> wrote: From: Ahmed Masud <ahmed.masud@trustifier.com> Subject: Re: [WEB SECURITY] PROJECT - competition landscape for APPSEC To: "daryl d" <darylcoz@gmail.com> Cc: webappsec@securityfocus.com, pen-test@securityfocus.com, "web security" <websecurity@webappsec.org> Date: Tuesday, April 30, 2013, 11:15 AM My Sincerest apologies for pushing this out on webappsec.org and securityfocus.com but I thought it would serve as a general guideline as to what I do and do not expect to receive from a mailing list.  I don't expect emails like the one sent out by Daryl. Daryl: A couple of points on etiquette: Your requirement is rather vague and sounds very much like homework that you don't wish to do yourself. If that's not the case you should explain what your project is, so that someone who may be kind enough to help you can actually understand the context and give you something useful rather than expecting a data-dump.  My suggestion would be to set up a simple to answer questionnaire around your inquiry so someone can answer it easily and then you can ask more detailed questions around that in follow-ups. It's a lot better than just saying "what's the current application security competition landscape" ...A vague question like that would result in a curt answer like go pay money to www.gartner.com; A better forum for this would be one of the stackexchange.com venues. If you formulate your question in a more appropriate way directly to me; I will be happy to answer it. Sincerely, Ahmed Masud <ahmed.masud@trustifier.com> Trustifier Inc. CEO C: 613-875-0971 On Mon, Apr 29, 2013 at 4:00 PM, daryl d <darylcoz@gmail.com> wrote: > Hi All, > > I need detailed information of current application security competition > landscape for one of my university projects. Any pointers to same shall be > helpful. Thanks in advance. > > Thanks, > Daryl > > _______________________________________________ > The Web Security Mailing List > > WebSecurity RSS Feed > http://www.webappsec.org/rss/websecurity.rss > > Join WASC on LinkedIn http://www.linkedin.com/e/gis/83336/4B20E4374DBA > > WASC on Twitter > http://twitter.com/wascupdates > > websecurity@lists.webappsec.org > http://lists.webappsec.org/mailman/listinfo/websecurity_lists.webappsec.org > _______________________________________________ The Web Security Mailing List WebSecurity RSS Feed http://www.webappsec.org/rss/websecurity.rss Join WASC on LinkedIn http://www.linkedin.com/e/gis/83336/4B20E4374DBA WASC on Twitter http://twitter.com/wascupdates websecurity@lists.webappsec.org http://lists.webappsec.org/mailman/listinfo/websecurity_lists.webappsec.org
MC
Muruganandam C
Thu, May 23, 2013 6:35 AM

Hi All,

could you please let me know about application vulnerability scanning tool.

Thanks
Muruganandam

Hi All, could you please let me know about application vulnerability scanning tool. Thanks Muruganandam
Seba
Thu, May 23, 2013 6:48 AM

Hi Muruganandam,

OWASP Zed Attack Proxy Project is the perfect tool for you.
It has automated scanners as well as a set of tools that allow you to find
security vulnerabilities manually.

more info & download on
https://www.owasp.org/index.php/OWASP_Zed_Attack_Proxy_Project

regards

Seba

http://www.webappsec.org/rss/**websecurity.rsshttp://www.webappsec.org/rss/websecurity.rss

Join WASC on LinkedIn http://www.linkedin.com/e/gis/**83336/4B20E4374DBAhttp://www.linkedin.com/e/gis/83336/4B20E4374DBA

WASC on Twitter
http://twitter.com/wascupdates

websecurity@lists.webappsec.**org websecurity@lists.webappsec.org

Hi Muruganandam, OWASP Zed Attack Proxy Project is the perfect tool for you. It has automated scanners as well as a set of tools that allow you to find security vulnerabilities manually. more info & download on https://www.owasp.org/index.php/OWASP_Zed_Attack_Proxy_Project regards Seba On Thu, May 23, 2013 at 8:35 AM, Muruganandam C <muruganandam.c@gmail.com>wrote: > Hi All, > > could you please let me know about application vulnerability scanning tool. > > Thanks > Muruganandam > > ______________________________**_________________ > The Web Security Mailing List > > WebSecurity RSS Feed > http://www.webappsec.org/rss/**websecurity.rss<http://www.webappsec.org/rss/websecurity.rss> > > Join WASC on LinkedIn http://www.linkedin.com/e/gis/**83336/4B20E4374DBA<http://www.linkedin.com/e/gis/83336/4B20E4374DBA> > > WASC on Twitter > http://twitter.com/wascupdates > > websecurity@lists.webappsec.**org <websecurity@lists.webappsec.org> > http://lists.webappsec.org/**mailman/listinfo/websecurity_** > lists.webappsec.org<http://lists.webappsec.org/mailman/listinfo/websecurity_lists.webappsec.org> >
TD
The Dead
Thu, May 23, 2013 7:18 PM

Here you can find a benchmark of vulnerabilities scanners, including
commercial and free:

http://sectooladdict.blogspot.com.br/2012/07/2012-web-application-scanner-benchmark.html

TH3D34D

On Thu, May 23, 2013 at 3:48 AM, Seba seba@owasp.org wrote:

[...]

Here you can find a benchmark of vulnerabilities scanners, including commercial and free: http://sectooladdict.blogspot.com.br/2012/07/2012-web-application-scanner-benchmark.html TH3D34D On Thu, May 23, 2013 at 3:48 AM, Seba <seba@owasp.org> wrote: > Hi Muruganandam, > > OWASP Zed Attack Proxy Project is the perfect tool for you. > It has automated scanners as well as a set of tools that allow you to find > security vulnerabilities manually. > > more info & download on > https://www.owasp.org/index.php/OWASP_Zed_Attack_Proxy_Project > > regards > > Seba > > > > On Thu, May 23, 2013 at 8:35 AM, Muruganandam C <muruganandam.c@gmail.com>wrote: > >> Hi All, >> >> could you please let me know about application vulnerability scanning >> tool. >> >> Thanks >> Muruganandam >> >> ______________________________**_________________ >> The Web Security Mailing List >> >> WebSecurity RSS Feed >> http://www.webappsec.org/rss/**websecurity.rss<http://www.webappsec.org/rss/websecurity.rss> >> >> Join WASC on LinkedIn http://www.linkedin.com/e/gis/**83336/4B20E4374DBA<http://www.linkedin.com/e/gis/83336/4B20E4374DBA> >> >> WASC on Twitter >> http://twitter.com/wascupdates >> >> websecurity@lists.webappsec.**org <websecurity@lists.webappsec.org> >> http://lists.webappsec.org/**mailman/listinfo/websecurity_** >> lists.webappsec.org<http://lists.webappsec.org/mailman/listinfo/websecurity_lists.webappsec.org> >> > > > _______________________________________________ > The Web Security Mailing List > > WebSecurity RSS Feed > http://www.webappsec.org/rss/websecurity.rss > > Join WASC on LinkedIn http://www.linkedin.com/e/gis/83336/4B20E4374DBA > > WASC on Twitter > http://twitter.com/wascupdates > > websecurity@lists.webappsec.org > http://lists.webappsec.org/mailman/listinfo/websecurity_lists.webappsec.org > >
TD
The Dead
Thu, May 23, 2013 7:51 PM

[...]

Here you can find a benchmark of vulnerabilities scanners, including commercial and free: http://sectooladdict.blogspot.com.br/2012/07/2012-web-application-scanner-benchmark.html TH3D34D On Thu, May 23, 2013 at 3:48 AM, Seba <seba@owasp.org> wrote: > > Hi Muruganandam, > > OWASP Zed Attack Proxy Project is the perfect tool for you. > It has automated scanners as well as a set of tools that allow you to find security vulnerabilities manually. > > more info & download on https://www.owasp.org/index.php/OWASP_Zed_Attack_Proxy_Project > > regards > > Seba > > > > On Thu, May 23, 2013 at 8:35 AM, Muruganandam C <muruganandam.c@gmail.com> wrote: >> >> Hi All, >> >> could you please let me know about application vulnerability scanning tool. >> >> Thanks >> Muruganandam >> >> _______________________________________________ >> The Web Security Mailing List >> >> WebSecurity RSS Feed >> http://www.webappsec.org/rss/websecurity.rss >> >> Join WASC on LinkedIn http://www.linkedin.com/e/gis/83336/4B20E4374DBA >> >> WASC on Twitter >> http://twitter.com/wascupdates >> >> websecurity@lists.webappsec.org >> http://lists.webappsec.org/mailman/listinfo/websecurity_lists.webappsec.org > > > > _______________________________________________ > The Web Security Mailing List > > WebSecurity RSS Feed > http://www.webappsec.org/rss/websecurity.rss > > Join WASC on LinkedIn http://www.linkedin.com/e/gis/83336/4B20E4374DBA > > WASC on Twitter > http://twitter.com/wascupdates > > websecurity@lists.webappsec.org > http://lists.webappsec.org/mailman/listinfo/websecurity_lists.webappsec.org >
MC
Muruganandam C
Fri, May 24, 2013 8:34 AM

Hi,

I would like to know about the certification security+. Has anyone
completed recently. how was the exam and time required for prepration.

Thanks
Muruganandam

Hi, I would like to know about the certification security+. Has anyone completed recently. how was the exam and time required for prepration. Thanks Muruganandam
RP
Rohit Pitke
Fri, May 24, 2013 10:13 PM

Additionally, you can use Ratproxy and skipfish.
If you are concerned about individual vulnerabilities, I would suggest sqlmap (for SQL injection), XSSRay (for XSS), Nikto (Directory Access)

[...]

Additionally, you can use Ratproxy and skipfish. If you are concerned about individual vulnerabilities, I would suggest sqlmap (for SQL injection), XSSRay (for XSS), Nikto (Directory Access)  ________________________________ From: Seba <seba@owasp.org> To: Muruganandam C <muruganandam.c@gmail.com> Cc: webappsec@securityfocus.com; pen-test@securityfocus.com; web security <websecurity@webappsec.org> Sent: Wednesday, May 22, 2013 11:48 PM Subject: Re: [WEB SECURITY] Need a Opensource tool for application scanning Hi Muruganandam, OWASP Zed Attack Proxy Project is the perfect tool for you. It has automated scanners as well as a set of tools that allow you to find security vulnerabilities manually.  more info & download on https://www.owasp.org/index.php/OWASP_Zed_Attack_Proxy_Project regards Seba On Thu, May 23, 2013 at 8:35 AM, Muruganandam C <muruganandam.c@gmail.com> wrote: Hi All, > >could you please let me know about application vulnerability scanning tool. > >Thanks >Muruganandam > >_______________________________________________ >The Web Security Mailing List > >WebSecurity RSS Feed >http://www.webappsec.org/rss/websecurity.rss > >Join WASC on LinkedIn http://www.linkedin.com/e/gis/83336/4B20E4374DBA > >WASC on Twitter >http://twitter.com/wascupdates > >websecurity@lists.webappsec.org >http://lists.webappsec.org/mailman/listinfo/websecurity_lists.webappsec.org > _______________________________________________ The Web Security Mailing List WebSecurity RSS Feed http://www.webappsec.org/rss/websecurity.rss Join WASC on LinkedIn http://www.linkedin.com/e/gis/83336/4B20E4374DBA WASC on Twitter http://twitter.com/wascupdates websecurity@lists.webappsec.org http://lists.webappsec.org/mailman/listinfo/websecurity_lists.webappsec.org
SC
Skip Carter
Sat, May 25, 2013 6:11 PM

On Fri, 2013-05-24 at 14:04 +0530, Muruganandam C wrote:

Hi,

I would like to know about the certification security+. Has anyone
completed recently. how was the exam and time required for prepration.

Its a pretty basic network security cert.  It should not be hard for
anybody with a couple of years of experience in the field.  There are
classes you can take, but the practice exams are more efficient
preparation. How long that takes depends upon your prior experience. The
only thing tricky in the exam itself are stupid questions like "which
two things that are not different between java and javascript ?"

Its a good minimum standard for your security people in the sense that
if they do not have the ability to pass it, they should not be doing
network security.

--
Dr Everett (Skip) Carter                        skip@taygeta.net
Taygeta Network Security Services    (v) 831-641-0645

On Fri, 2013-05-24 at 14:04 +0530, Muruganandam C wrote: > Hi, > > I would like to know about the certification security+. Has anyone > completed recently. how was the exam and time required for prepration. > Its a pretty basic network security cert. It should not be hard for anybody with a couple of years of experience in the field. There are classes you can take, but the practice exams are more efficient preparation. How long that takes depends upon your prior experience. The only thing tricky in the exam itself are stupid questions like "which two things that are not different between java and javascript ?" Its a good minimum standard for your security people in the sense that if they do not have the ability to pass it, they should not be doing network security. -- Dr Everett (Skip) Carter skip@taygeta.net Taygeta Network Security Services (v) 831-641-0645 1340 Munras Ave, Suite 314 (f) 831-641-0647 Monterey, CA. 93955