wasc-wafec@lists.webappsec.org

WASC Web Application Firewall Evaluation Criteria Project Mailing List

View all threads

Re: [WASC-WAFEC] Annexure or Supplement Proposed by F5

CH
Christian Heinrich
Mon, Oct 15, 2012 6:18 AM

WAFEC,

I just wanted to let everyone know that I after some offline
"argy-bargy" :) with F5 in September to define the requirement as to
what an end user would be seeking from WAFEC that I believe there
would be some value in their (F5) suggestion (discussed within the
"[WASC-WAFEC] What should we change in WAFEC 2.0?" thread) with the
following caveats:

  1. F5 would have to publish their list and therefore their IP to the
    mailing list were I will confirm if that is either a) the list that I
    also reviewed or b) note the differences (it might have been updated
    since September).  I would like to highlight that F5 did not
    requirement me to sign an NDA so this requirement, i.e. publication to
    this mailing list, was specified by me (not F5).

  2. The list could be divided into two sections, those entries that are
    related to security and therefore WAFEC and those that aren't which
    could be recorded in an annexure or supplement to the next release of
    WAFEC (v2?).  The roadmap would be to integrate this supplement or
    annexure into the release following the next release of WAFEC (v3?) to
    ease the transition of a major change of WAFEC.

  3. It should be endorsed by the various testing labs, e.g.
    https://www.icsalabs.com/, http://www.nsslabs.com/, etc, so that other
    WAF vendors do not claim that the results are skewed for F5.  From my
    own viewpoint as an end user I don't believe this to be case but I
    want to be as fair as possible to other WAF vendors (within reason).

I also would like to thank both Kenneth and Ido from F5 and look
forward to the publication of their list for discussion.

On Tue, Jun 26, 2012 at 6:46 AM, Kenneth Salchow k.salchow@f5.com wrote:

Sounds like a reasonable, well-founded plan.

KJ (Ken) Salchow, Jr. | Program Manager, Technical Certification
D 651.423.1133
M 612.868.1258
P 206.272.5555
F 206.272.5555