XSS Question

JD
Jason Drury
Thu, Jun 23, 2011 4:15 PM

Hello,

During a recent web pentest I found an input vulnerable to XSS. The developers have come back to me saying they resolved the issue, but upon retesting I found it still vulnerable to the following string: ";alert('XSS');//

Just for my own education, can anything malicious be done with such a string or is the extent of the damage a popup box (which is what I currently get).

Thank you,
Jason

Hello, During a recent web pentest I found an input vulnerable to XSS. The developers have come back to me saying they resolved the issue, but upon retesting I found it still vulnerable to the following string: \";alert('XSS');// Just for my own education, can anything malicious be done with such a string or is the extent of the damage a popup box (which is what I currently get). Thank you, Jason
RA
Robert A.
Thu, Jun 23, 2011 4:22 PM

Certainly more than popup boxes are possible :) I would advise checking
out the following articles which explain abuse cases for XSS.

XSS FAQ
[1] http://www.cgisecurity.com/xss-faq.html#whatare

Worms and malware section
[2] http://projects.webappsec.org/w/page/13246920/Cross-Site-Scripting

XSS wikipedia exploit scenarios section
[3] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cross-site_scripting#Exploit_scenarios

Regards,

Hello,

During a recent web pentest I found an input vulnerable to XSS. The developers have come back to me saying they resolved the issue, but upon retesting I found it still vulnerable to the following string:�";alert('XSS');//

Just for my own education, can anything malicious be done with such a string or is the extent of the damage a popup box (which is what I currently get).

Thank you,
Jason

Certainly more than popup boxes are possible :) I would advise checking out the following articles which explain abuse cases for XSS. XSS FAQ [1] http://www.cgisecurity.com/xss-faq.html#whatare Worms and malware section [2] http://projects.webappsec.org/w/page/13246920/Cross-Site-Scripting XSS wikipedia exploit scenarios section [3] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cross-site_scripting#Exploit_scenarios Regards, - Robert http://www.webappsec.org/ http://www.qasec.com/ > Hello, During a recent web pentest I found an input vulnerable to XSS. The developers have come back to me saying they resolved the issue, but upon retesting I found it still vulnerable to the following string:�\";alert('XSS');// Just for my own education, can anything malicious be done with such a string or is the extent of the damage a popup box (which is what I currently get). Thank you, Jason
SJ
steve jensen
Thu, Jun 23, 2011 4:22 PM

It helps to know where the alert is being injected and executed within the page. However, yes, anytime you are able to inject arbitrary script and have it executed it is a doorway for an attacker to perform more advanced attacks. It's just a matter of understanding the attack vector and some trial and error.

Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2011 09:15:53 -0700
From: druryjason@yahoo.com
To: websecurity@lists.webappsec.org
Subject: [WEB SECURITY] XSS Question

Hello,
During a recent web pentest I found an input vulnerable to XSS. The developers have come back to me saying they resolved the issue, but upon retesting I found it still vulnerable to the following string: ";alert('XSS');//
Just for my own education, can anything malicious be done with such a string or is the extent of the damage a popup box (which is what I currently get).
Thank you,Jason

The Web Security Mailing List

WebSecurity RSS Feed
http://www.webappsec.org/rss/websecurity.rss

Join WASC on LinkedIn http://www.linkedin.com/e/gis/83336/4B20E4374DBA

WASC on Twitter
http://twitter.com/wascupdates

websecurity@lists.webappsec.org

It helps to know where the alert is being injected and executed within the page. However, yes, anytime you are able to inject arbitrary script and have it executed it is a doorway for an attacker to perform more advanced attacks. It's just a matter of understanding the attack vector and some trial and error. Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2011 09:15:53 -0700 From: druryjason@yahoo.com To: websecurity@lists.webappsec.org Subject: [WEB SECURITY] XSS Question Hello, During a recent web pentest I found an input vulnerable to XSS. The developers have come back to me saying they resolved the issue, but upon retesting I found it still vulnerable to the following string: \";alert('XSS');// Just for my own education, can anything malicious be done with such a string or is the extent of the damage a popup box (which is what I currently get). Thank you,Jason _______________________________________________ The Web Security Mailing List WebSecurity RSS Feed http://www.webappsec.org/rss/websecurity.rss Join WASC on LinkedIn http://www.linkedin.com/e/gis/83336/4B20E4374DBA WASC on Twitter http://twitter.com/wascupdates websecurity@lists.webappsec.org http://lists.webappsec.org/mailman/listinfo/websecurity_lists.webappsec.org
MO
Michele Orru
Thu, Jun 23, 2011 4:48 PM

Hi Jason,

too understand the real impact of XSS, meaning what you can really
obtain, except from Robert links
take also a look at BeEF (http://code.google.com/p/beef/). We are
developing a lot of cool ideas that can be done
exploiting even a simple reflected XSS (or DOM-based one).

Feel free to ask questions on our mailing lists (very low traffic).

Cheers
/antisnatchor

Jason Drury <mailto:druryjason@yahoo.com>

June 23, 2011 6:15 PM

Hello,

During a recent web pentest I found an input vulnerable to XSS. The
developers have come back to me saying they resolved the issue, but
upon retesting I found it still vulnerable to the following
string: ";alert('XSS');//

Just for my own education, can anything malicious be done with such a
string or is the extent of the damage a popup box (which is what I
currently get).

Thank you,
Jason

The Web Security Mailing List

WebSecurity RSS Feed
http://www.webappsec.org/rss/websecurity.rss

Join WASC on LinkedIn http://www.linkedin.com/e/gis/83336/4B20E4374DBA

WASC on Twitter
http://twitter.com/wascupdates

websecurity@lists.webappsec.org

Hi Jason, too understand the real impact of XSS, meaning what you can really obtain, except from Robert links take also a look at BeEF (http://code.google.com/p/beef/). We are developing a lot of cool ideas that can be done exploiting even a simple reflected XSS (or DOM-based one). Feel free to ask questions on our mailing lists (very low traffic). Cheers /antisnatchor > ------------------------------------------------------------------------ > > Jason Drury <mailto:druryjason@yahoo.com> > June 23, 2011 6:15 PM > > > Hello, > > During a recent web pentest I found an input vulnerable to XSS. The > developers have come back to me saying they resolved the issue, but > upon retesting I found it still vulnerable to the following > string: \";alert('XSS');// > > Just for my own education, can anything malicious be done with such a > string or is the extent of the damage a popup box (which is what I > currently get). > > Thank you, > Jason > _______________________________________________ > The Web Security Mailing List > > WebSecurity RSS Feed > http://www.webappsec.org/rss/websecurity.rss > > Join WASC on LinkedIn http://www.linkedin.com/e/gis/83336/4B20E4374DBA > > WASC on Twitter > http://twitter.com/wascupdates > > websecurity@lists.webappsec.org > http://lists.webappsec.org/mailman/listinfo/websecurity_lists.webappsec.org
CJ
Calderon, Juan Carlos (GE, Corporate, consultant)
Thu, Jun 23, 2011 4:49 PM

Taking control over user browser (and eventually computer) using a XSS is not funny

Check XSSShell http://labs.portcullis.co.uk/application/xssshell/

There are some videos on the web showing where can you get with it.

Regards,
Juan C Calderon

[...]

Taking control over user browser (and eventually computer) using a XSS is not funny Check XSSShell http://labs.portcullis.co.uk/application/xssshell/ There are some videos on the web showing where can you get with it. Regards, Juan C Calderon -----Original Message----- From: websecurity-bounces@lists.webappsec.org [mailto:websecurity-bounces@lists.webappsec.org] On Behalf Of Robert A. Sent: Thursday, June 23, 2011 11:22 AM To: Jason Drury Cc: websecurity@lists.webappsec.org Subject: Re: [WEB SECURITY] XSS Question Certainly more than popup boxes are possible :) I would advise checking out the following articles which explain abuse cases for XSS. XSS FAQ [1] http://www.cgisecurity.com/xss-faq.html#whatare Worms and malware section [2] http://projects.webappsec.org/w/page/13246920/Cross-Site-Scripting XSS wikipedia exploit scenarios section [3] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cross-site_scripting#Exploit_scenarios Regards, - Robert http://www.webappsec.org/ http://www.qasec.com/ > Hello, During a recent web pentest I found an input vulnerable to XSS. The developers have come back to me saying they resolved the issue, but upon retesting I found it still vulnerable to the following string: \";alert('XSS');// Just for my own education, can anything malicious be done with such a string or is the extent of the damage a popup box (which is what I currently get). Thank you, Jason
EO
Erlend Oftedal
Thu, Jun 23, 2011 5:29 PM

One of the things that BeEF can demonstrate, and which I also see used
for malicious purposes by other scripts, is to exploit unpatched
browsers and take control over the computer. So it's certainly worth fixing.
Give your developers the OWASP XSS Prevention Cheat Sheet:
https://www.owasp.org/index.php/XSS_%28Cross_Site_Scripting%29_Prevention_Cheat_Sheet

Erlend

On 23.06.2011 18:48, Michele Orru wrote:

[...]

One of the things that BeEF can demonstrate, and which I also see used for malicious purposes by other scripts, is to exploit unpatched browsers and take control over the computer. So it's certainly worth fixing. Give your developers the OWASP XSS Prevention Cheat Sheet: https://www.owasp.org/index.php/XSS_%28Cross_Site_Scripting%29_Prevention_Cheat_Sheet Erlend On 23.06.2011 18:48, Michele Orru wrote: > Hi Jason, > > too understand the real impact of XSS, meaning what you can really > obtain, except from Robert links > take also a look at BeEF (http://code.google.com/p/beef/). We are > developing a lot of cool ideas that can be done > exploiting even a simple reflected XSS (or DOM-based one). > > Feel free to ask questions on our mailing lists (very low traffic). > > Cheers > /antisnatchor > >> ------------------------------------------------------------------------ >> >> Jason Drury <mailto:druryjason@yahoo.com> >> June 23, 2011 6:15 PM >> >> >> Hello, >> >> During a recent web pentest I found an input vulnerable to XSS. The >> developers have come back to me saying they resolved the issue, but >> upon retesting I found it still vulnerable to the following >> string: \";alert('XSS');// >> >> Just for my own education, can anything malicious be done with such a >> string or is the extent of the damage a popup box (which is what I >> currently get). >> >> Thank you, >> Jason >> _______________________________________________ >> The Web Security Mailing List >> >> WebSecurity RSS Feed >> http://www.webappsec.org/rss/websecurity.rss >> >> Join WASC on LinkedIn http://www.linkedin.com/e/gis/83336/4B20E4374DBA >> >> WASC on Twitter >> http://twitter.com/wascupdates >> >> websecurity@lists.webappsec.org >> http://lists.webappsec.org/mailman/listinfo/websecurity_lists.webappsec.org > > > _______________________________________________ > The Web Security Mailing List > > WebSecurity RSS Feed > http://www.webappsec.org/rss/websecurity.rss > > Join WASC on LinkedIn http://www.linkedin.com/e/gis/83336/4B20E4374DBA > > WASC on Twitter > http://twitter.com/wascupdates > > websecurity@lists.webappsec.org > http://lists.webappsec.org/mailman/listinfo/websecurity_lists.webappsec.org
FL
Fonix Li
Thu, Jun 23, 2011 5:39 PM

Hi Jason,

I guess you can customize the victim web application to another web
application for your own J

Regards

-Fonix Li

[...]

Hi Jason, I guess you can customize the victim web application to another web application for your own J Regards -Fonix Li From: websecurity-bounces@lists.webappsec.org [mailto:websecurity-bounces@lists.webappsec.org] On Behalf Of Erlend Oftedal Sent: Thursday, June 23, 2011 10:29 AM To: websecurity@lists.webappsec.org Subject: Re: [WEB SECURITY] XSS Question One of the things that BeEF can demonstrate, and which I also see used for malicious purposes by other scripts, is to exploit unpatched browsers and take control over the computer. So it's certainly worth fixing. Give your developers the OWASP XSS Prevention Cheat Sheet: https://www.owasp.org/index.php/XSS_%28Cross_Site_Scripting%29_Preventio n_Cheat_Sheet Erlend On 23.06.2011 18:48, Michele Orru wrote: Hi Jason, too understand the real impact of XSS, meaning what you can really obtain, except from Robert links take also a look at BeEF (http://code.google.com/p/beef/). We are developing a lot of cool ideas that can be done exploiting even a simple reflected XSS (or DOM-based one). Feel free to ask questions on our mailing lists (very low traffic). Cheers /antisnatchor ________________________________ Jason Drury <mailto:druryjason@yahoo.com> June 23, 2011 6:15 PM Hello, During a recent web pentest I found an input vulnerable to XSS. The developers have come back to me saying they resolved the issue, but upon retesting I found it still vulnerable to the following string: \";alert('XSS');// Just for my own education, can anything malicious be done with such a string or is the extent of the damage a popup box (which is what I currently get). Thank you, Jason _______________________________________________ The Web Security Mailing List WebSecurity RSS Feed http://www.webappsec.org/rss/websecurity.rss Join WASC on LinkedIn http://www.linkedin.com/e/gis/83336/4B20E4374DBA WASC on Twitter http://twitter.com/wascupdates websecurity@lists.webappsec.org http://lists.webappsec.org/mailman/listinfo/websecurity_lists.webappsec. org _______________________________________________ The Web Security Mailing List WebSecurity RSS Feed http://www.webappsec.org/rss/websecurity.rss Join WASC on LinkedIn http://www.linkedin.com/e/gis/83336/4B20E4374DBA WASC on Twitter http://twitter.com/wascupdates websecurity@lists.webappsec.org http://lists.webappsec.org/mailman/listinfo/websecurity_lists.webappsec. org
CD
Chintan Dave
Thu, Jun 23, 2011 7:16 PM

XSS with msf's autopwn feature and a bit of social engineering - boom you have a shell :)

Sorry for brevity, sent from my iPod,

Thanks,
Chintan

On 23-Jun-2011, at 9:45 PM, Jason Drury druryjason@yahoo.com wrote:

Hello,

During a recent web pentest I found an input vulnerable to XSS. The developers have come back to me saying they resolved the issue, but upon retesting I found it still vulnerable to the following string: ";alert('XSS');//

Just for my own education, can anything malicious be done with such a string or is the extent of the damage a popup box (which is what I currently get).

Thank you,
Jason

The Web Security Mailing List

WebSecurity RSS Feed
http://www.webappsec.org/rss/websecurity.rss

Join WASC on LinkedIn http://www.linkedin.com/e/gis/83336/4B20E4374DBA

WASC on Twitter
http://twitter.com/wascupdates

websecurity@lists.webappsec.org

XSS with msf's autopwn feature and a bit of social engineering - boom you have a shell :) Sorry for brevity, sent from my iPod, Thanks, Chintan On 23-Jun-2011, at 9:45 PM, Jason Drury <druryjason@yahoo.com> wrote: > Hello, > > During a recent web pentest I found an input vulnerable to XSS. The developers have come back to me saying they resolved the issue, but upon retesting I found it still vulnerable to the following string: \";alert('XSS');// > > Just for my own education, can anything malicious be done with such a string or is the extent of the damage a popup box (which is what I currently get). > > Thank you, > Jason > _______________________________________________ > The Web Security Mailing List > > WebSecurity RSS Feed > http://www.webappsec.org/rss/websecurity.rss > > Join WASC on LinkedIn http://www.linkedin.com/e/gis/83336/4B20E4374DBA > > WASC on Twitter > http://twitter.com/wascupdates > > websecurity@lists.webappsec.org > http://lists.webappsec.org/mailman/listinfo/websecurity_lists.webappsec.org
AC
Alberto Cuesta
Fri, Jun 24, 2011 12:46 PM

Hi, Jason.

I recommend you Raul Siles presentation "Brower exploitation for fun and
profit", where he explains and shows how to take control of victim machines
using a combination of BeeF & Metasploit.

https://www.sans.org/webcasts/browser-exploitation-fun-profit-93868?ref=64223
http://www.slideshare.net/rootedcon/ral-siles-browser-exploitation-for-fun-and-profit-revolutions-rootedcon-2011
http://www.taddong.com/docs/Browser_Exploitation_for_Fun&Profit_Revolutions_Taddong-RaulSiles_RootedCon-2011.pdf

Regards,
Alberto

2011/6/23 Chintan Dave davechintan@gmail.com

--
Alberto Cuesta, CISSP, GCIH
Project Manager & Technical Security Consultant

Hi, Jason. I recommend you Raul Siles presentation "Brower exploitation for fun and profit", where he explains and shows how to take control of victim machines using a combination of BeeF & Metasploit. https://www.sans.org/webcasts/browser-exploitation-fun-profit-93868?ref=64223 http://www.slideshare.net/rootedcon/ral-siles-browser-exploitation-for-fun-and-profit-revolutions-rootedcon-2011 http://www.taddong.com/docs/Browser_Exploitation_for_Fun&Profit_Revolutions_Taddong-RaulSiles_RootedCon-2011.pdf Regards, Alberto 2011/6/23 Chintan Dave <davechintan@gmail.com> > XSS with msf's autopwn feature and a bit of social engineering - boom you > have a shell :) > > Sorry for brevity, sent from my iPod, > > Thanks, > Chintan > > On 23-Jun-2011, at 9:45 PM, Jason Drury <druryjason@yahoo.com> wrote: > > Hello, > > During a recent web pentest I found an input vulnerable to XSS. The > developers have come back to me saying they resolved the issue, but upon > retesting I found it still vulnerable to the following > string: \";alert('XSS');// > > Just for my own education, can anything malicious be done with such a > string or is the extent of the damage a popup box (which is what I currently > get). > > Thank you, > Jason > > _______________________________________________ > > The Web Security Mailing List > > WebSecurity RSS Feed > http://www.webappsec.org/rss/websecurity.rss > > Join WASC on LinkedIn <http://www.linkedin.com/e/gis/83336/4B20E4374DBA> > http://www.linkedin.com/e/gis/83336/4B20E4374DBA > > WASC on Twitter > http://twitter.com/wascupdates > > websecurity@lists.webappsec.org > http://lists.webappsec.org/mailman/listinfo/websecurity_lists.webappsec.org > > > _______________________________________________ > The Web Security Mailing List > > WebSecurity RSS Feed > http://www.webappsec.org/rss/websecurity.rss > > Join WASC on LinkedIn http://www.linkedin.com/e/gis/83336/4B20E4374DBA > > WASC on Twitter > http://twitter.com/wascupdates > > websecurity@lists.webappsec.org > http://lists.webappsec.org/mailman/listinfo/websecurity_lists.webappsec.org > > -- Alberto Cuesta, CISSP, GCIH Project Manager & Technical Security Consultant
MaXe
Sun, Jun 26, 2011 6:10 PM

Hello Jason,

Go to Exploit-DB, and enter the "Blog" section. Read the entry titled: "vbSEO - From XSS to Reverse PHP Shell". That blog entry really shows how powerful XSS can be, and in this case it's persistent (stored).

But if it had been non-persistent (reflected), then you would just've had to lure the administrator, to click a maliciusly crafted link.

There's a youtube video (link) in the bottom of the blog entry along with a link to the tool I used / developed.

Remember, it's only your own imagination and skills that limits a XSS attack. Of course there are browser limitations as well, but you can use java and flash too! Anything a browser can run / do, is potentially possible with XSS.

If you can't use certain tags, functions etc. Use encoding! E.g., /* The XSSOR */ which you can find here! Http://intern0t.net/xssor/

Last but not least I recommend you read "The Beginners Guide to XSS". It's located on various sites, including but not limited to xssed.com (articles) and exploit-db.com (papers)

Good luck on your XSS journey!

Best regards,
MaXe
----- Original meddelelse -----

Hello,

During a recent web pentest I found an input vulnerable to XSS. The
developers have come back to me saying they resolved the issue, but upon
retesting I found it still vulnerable to the following string:
 ";alert('XSS');//

Just for my own education, can anything malicious be done with such a
string or is the extent of the damage a popup box (which is what I
currently get).

Thank you,
Jason

Hello Jason, Go to Exploit-DB, and enter the "Blog" section. Read the entry titled: "vbSEO - From XSS to Reverse PHP Shell". That blog entry really shows how powerful XSS can be, and in this case it's persistent (stored). But if it had been non-persistent (reflected), then you would just've had to lure the administrator, to click a maliciusly crafted link. There's a youtube video (link) in the bottom of the blog entry along with a link to the tool I used / developed. Remember, it's only your own imagination and skills that limits a XSS attack. Of course there are browser limitations as well, but you can use java and flash too! Anything a browser can run / do, is potentially possible with XSS. If you can't use certain tags, functions etc. Use encoding! E.g., /* The XSSOR */ which you can find here! Http://intern0t.net/xssor/ Last but not least I recommend you read "The Beginners Guide to XSS". It's located on various sites, including but not limited to xssed.com (articles) and exploit-db.com (papers) Good luck on your XSS journey! Best regards, MaXe ----- Original meddelelse ----- > Hello, > > During a recent web pentest I found an input vulnerable to XSS. The > developers have come back to me saying they resolved the issue, but upon > retesting I found it still vulnerable to the following string: >  \";alert('XSS');// > > Just for my own education, can anything malicious be done with such a > string or is the extent of the damage a popup box (which is what I > currently get). > > Thank you, > Jason