FW: Web Service pentesting

PM
Palko Marek
Fri, Nov 11, 2011 10:41 AM

Firstly, I apologize, if this post isn't at the right place.

We are looking for tool wich we can use to vulnerability test of web service.

Best tool which I've found is WSFuzzer (OWASP).

Other:

  •    wsScanner (Blueinfy) - support  dotNET only (ASMX scheme)

  •    wsChess - same as wsScanner

  •    wsDigger (Foundstone) - looks fine, but support only few checks and is not under development since 2005

Have you any suggestion of other tools for this purposes ?
Also some guides/docs for doing pentest on web services will be helpful.

Firstly, I apologize, if this post isn't at the right place. We are looking for tool wich we can use to vulnerability test of web service. Best tool which I've found is WSFuzzer (OWASP). Other: - wsScanner (Blueinfy) - support dotNET only (ASMX scheme) - wsChess - same as wsScanner - wsDigger (Foundstone) - looks fine, but support only few checks and is not under development since 2005 Have you any suggestion of other tools for this purposes ? Also some guides/docs for doing pentest on web services will be helpful.
MaXe
Fri, Nov 11, 2011 5:37 PM

Hi Palko,

I stumbled over this the other day:
http://www.securityaegis.com/web-application-testing-resources/

There is also a lot of tools mentioned on this page, including the most used generally. There's currently no better resource in my humble opinion, that I can recommend at the moment.

Best regards,
MaXe
----- Original meddelelse -----

Firstly, I apologize, if this post isn't at the right place.

We are looking for tool wich we can use to vulnerability test of web
service.

Best tool which I've found is WSFuzzer (OWASP).

Other:

-               wsScanner (Blueinfy) - support   dotNET only (ASMX scheme)

-               wsChess - same as wsScanner

-               wsDigger (Foundstone) - looks fine, but support only few checks
and is not under development since 2005

Have you any suggestion of other tools for this purposes ?
Also some guides/docs for doing pentest on web services will be helpful.

Hi Palko, I stumbled over this the other day: http://www.securityaegis.com/web-application-testing-resources/ There is also a lot of tools mentioned on this page, including the most used generally. There's currently no better resource in my humble opinion, that I can recommend at the moment. Best regards, MaXe ----- Original meddelelse ----- > Firstly, I apologize, if this post isn't at the right place. > > We are looking for tool wich we can use to vulnerability test of web > service. > > Best tool which I've found is WSFuzzer (OWASP). > > Other: > > -              wsScanner (Blueinfy) - support  dotNET only (ASMX scheme) > > -              wsChess - same as wsScanner > > -              wsDigger (Foundstone) - looks fine, but support only few checks > and is not under development since 2005 > > Have you any suggestion of other tools for this purposes ? > Also some guides/docs for doing pentest on web services will be helpful.
psiinon
Fri, Nov 11, 2011 6:27 PM

Hi Palko,

For web services you should look at SOAP UI:
http://www.soapui.org/Security/getting-started.html

Psiinon

On Fri, Nov 11, 2011 at 10:41 AM, Palko Marek marek.palko@lynx.sk wrote:

Firstly, I apologize, if this post isn’t at the right place.

We are looking for tool wich we can use to vulnerability test of web
service.

Best tool which I’ve found is WSFuzzer (OWASP).

Other:

  •    wsScanner (Blueinfy) - support  dotNET only (ASMX scheme)

  •    wsChess - same as wsScanner

  •    wsDigger (Foundstone) - looks fine, but support only few checks

and is not under development since 2005

Have you any suggestion of other tools for this purposes ?

Also some guides/docs for doing pentest on web services will be helpful.

The Web Security Mailing List

WebSecurity RSS Feed
http://www.webappsec.org/rss/websecurity.rss

Join WASC on LinkedIn http://www.linkedin.com/e/gis/83336/4B20E4374DBA

WASC on Twitter
http://twitter.com/wascupdates

websecurity@lists.webappsec.org

Hi Palko, For web services you should look at SOAP UI: http://www.soapui.org/Security/getting-started.html Psiinon On Fri, Nov 11, 2011 at 10:41 AM, Palko Marek <marek.palko@lynx.sk> wrote: > Firstly, I apologize, if this post isn’t at the right place. > > > > We are looking for tool wich we can use to vulnerability test of web > service. > > > > Best tool which I’ve found is WSFuzzer (OWASP). > > > > Other: > > - wsScanner (Blueinfy) - support dotNET only (ASMX scheme) > > - wsChess - same as wsScanner > > - wsDigger (Foundstone) - looks fine, but support only few checks > and is not under development since 2005 > > > > Have you any suggestion of other tools for this purposes ? > > Also some guides/docs for doing pentest on web services will be helpful. > > _______________________________________________ > The Web Security Mailing List > > WebSecurity RSS Feed > http://www.webappsec.org/rss/websecurity.rss > > Join WASC on LinkedIn http://www.linkedin.com/e/gis/83336/4B20E4374DBA > > WASC on Twitter > http://twitter.com/wascupdates > > websecurity@lists.webappsec.org > http://lists.webappsec.org/mailman/listinfo/websecurity_lists.webappsec.org > >
PL
Pavol Luptak
Fri, Nov 11, 2011 11:46 PM

On Fri, Nov 11, 2011 at 05:37:55PM +0000, MaXe wrote:

I stumbled over this the other day:
http://www.securityaegis.com/web-application-testing-resources/

There is also a lot of tools mentioned on this page, including the most used generally. There's currently no better resource in my humble opinion, that I can recommend at the moment.

See https://www.owasp.org/index.php/Phoenix/Tools

We use SOAP UI and Burp. I am not sure if there is something better.

Pavol

[Pavol Luptak, Nethemba s.r.o.] [http://www.nethemba.com] [tel: +421905400542]

On Fri, Nov 11, 2011 at 05:37:55PM +0000, MaXe wrote: > > I stumbled over this the other day: > http://www.securityaegis.com/web-application-testing-resources/ > > There is also a lot of tools mentioned on this page, including the most used generally. There's currently no better resource in my humble opinion, that I can recommend at the moment. See https://www.owasp.org/index.php/Phoenix/Tools We use SOAP UI and Burp. I am not sure if there is something better. Pavol -- ______________________________________________________________________________ [Pavol Luptak, Nethemba s.r.o.] [http://www.nethemba.com] [tel: +421905400542]
MJ
Menerick, John
Mon, Nov 28, 2011 4:23 PM

For Burp's pricing model, it is a great investment.    Otherwise, the greatest tool is your creativity in breaking underlying assumptions.

Cheers,

John Menerick

On Fri, Nov 11, 2011 at 05:37:55PM +0000, MaXe wrote:

I stumbled over this the other day:
http://www.securityaegis.com/web-application-testing-resources/

There is also a lot of tools mentioned on this page, including the most used generally. There's currently no better resource in my humble opinion, that I can recommend at the moment.

See https://www.owasp.org/index.php/Phoenix/Tools

We use SOAP UI and Burp. I am not sure if there is something better.

Pavol

[Pavol Luptak, Nethemba s.r.o.] [http://www.nethemba.com] [tel: +421905400542]

NOTICE: This email and any attachments may contain confidential and proprietary information of NetSuite Inc. and is for the sole use of the intended recipient for the stated purpose.  Any improper use or distribution is prohibited.  If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender; do not review, copy or distribute; and promptly delete or destroy all transmitted information.  Please note that all communications and information transmitted through this email system may be monitored by NetSuite or its agents and that all incoming email is automatically scanned by a third party spam and filtering service.

For Burp's pricing model, it is a great investment. Otherwise, the greatest tool is your creativity in breaking underlying assumptions. Cheers, John Menerick -----Original Message----- From: websecurity-bounces@lists.webappsec.org [mailto:websecurity-bounces@lists.webappsec.org] On Behalf Of Pavol Luptak Sent: Friday, November 11, 2011 3:47 PM To: websecurity@lists.webappsec.org Cc: marek.palko@lynx.sk Subject: Re: [WEB SECURITY] FW: Web Service pentesting On Fri, Nov 11, 2011 at 05:37:55PM +0000, MaXe wrote: > > I stumbled over this the other day: > http://www.securityaegis.com/web-application-testing-resources/ > > There is also a lot of tools mentioned on this page, including the most used generally. There's currently no better resource in my humble opinion, that I can recommend at the moment. See https://www.owasp.org/index.php/Phoenix/Tools We use SOAP UI and Burp. I am not sure if there is something better. Pavol -- ______________________________________________________________________________ [Pavol Luptak, Nethemba s.r.o.] [http://www.nethemba.com] [tel: +421905400542] NOTICE: This email and any attachments may contain confidential and proprietary information of NetSuite Inc. and is for the sole use of the intended recipient for the stated purpose. Any improper use or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender; do not review, copy or distribute; and promptly delete or destroy all transmitted information. Please note that all communications and information transmitted through this email system may be monitored by NetSuite or its agents and that all incoming email is automatically scanned by a third party spam and filtering service.
NT
Neaves, Tom
Tue, Nov 29, 2011 3:21 PM

Yup I'd tend to agree, SoapUI and Burp work well together for web
services. However, SoapUI does have some limitations with regards to
supporting WS-Security, namely WS-SecureConversation, as I painfully
found out last year. I managed to hunt down an alternative, WCFStorm,
which solved the problem though.

Cheers,
Tom

[...]

org

Verizon UK Limited - registered in England & Wales - registered number 2776038 - registered office at Reading International Business Park, Basingstoke Road, Reading, Berkshire, UK RG2 6DA - VAT number 823 8170 33

Yup I'd tend to agree, SoapUI and Burp work well together for web services. However, SoapUI does have some limitations with regards to supporting WS-Security, namely WS-SecureConversation, as I painfully found out last year. I managed to hunt down an alternative, WCFStorm, which solved the problem though. Cheers, Tom -----Original Message----- From: websecurity-bounces@lists.webappsec.org [mailto:websecurity-bounces@lists.webappsec.org] On Behalf Of Menerick, John Sent: 28 November 2011 16:24 To: Pavol Luptak; websecurity@lists.webappsec.org Cc: marek.palko@lynx.sk Subject: Re: [WEB SECURITY] FW: Web Service pentesting For Burp's pricing model, it is a great investment. Otherwise, the greatest tool is your creativity in breaking underlying assumptions. Cheers, John Menerick -----Original Message----- From: websecurity-bounces@lists.webappsec.org [mailto:websecurity-bounces@lists.webappsec.org] On Behalf Of Pavol Luptak Sent: Friday, November 11, 2011 3:47 PM To: websecurity@lists.webappsec.org Cc: marek.palko@lynx.sk Subject: Re: [WEB SECURITY] FW: Web Service pentesting On Fri, Nov 11, 2011 at 05:37:55PM +0000, MaXe wrote: > > I stumbled over this the other day: > http://www.securityaegis.com/web-application-testing-resources/ > > There is also a lot of tools mentioned on this page, including the most used generally. There's currently no better resource in my humble opinion, that I can recommend at the moment. See https://www.owasp.org/index.php/Phoenix/Tools We use SOAP UI and Burp. I am not sure if there is something better. Pavol -- ________________________________________________________________________ ______ [Pavol Luptak, Nethemba s.r.o.] [http://www.nethemba.com] [tel: +421905400542] NOTICE: This email and any attachments may contain confidential and proprietary information of NetSuite Inc. and is for the sole use of the intended recipient for the stated purpose. Any improper use or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender; do not review, copy or distribute; and promptly delete or destroy all transmitted information. Please note that all communications and information transmitted through this email system may be monitored by NetSuite or its agents and that all incoming email is automatically scanned by a third party spam and filtering service. _______________________________________________ The Web Security Mailing List WebSecurity RSS Feed http://www.webappsec.org/rss/websecurity.rss Join WASC on LinkedIn http://www.linkedin.com/e/gis/83336/4B20E4374DBA WASC on Twitter http://twitter.com/wascupdates websecurity@lists.webappsec.org http://lists.webappsec.org/mailman/listinfo/websecurity_lists.webappsec. org Verizon UK Limited - registered in England & Wales - registered number 2776038 - registered office at Reading International Business Park, Basingstoke Road, Reading, Berkshire, UK RG2 6DA - VAT number 823 8170 33