Re: [WEB SECURITY] [Full-disclosure] We're now paying up to $20, 000 for web vulns in our services

JH
Jim Harrison
Tue, Apr 24, 2012 9:02 PM

Exactly so.
I'm not so naive as to believe that monetary motivation turns EvilBob into GoodBob, but neither do I want to make EvilBob's job that much easier by increasing the number of concurrent attackers (good or bad) through rewards.

-----Original Message-----
From: Ramon de C Valle [mailto:rcvalle@redhat.com]
Sent: Tuesday, April 24, 2012 12:13 PM
To: Michal Zalewski
Cc: dailydave; websecurity@lists.webappsec.org; full-disclosure; bugtraq; Jim Harrison
Subject: Re: [Full-disclosure] We're now paying up to $20, 000 for web vulns in our services

IMHO, anyone who willingly, knowingly places customer data at risk
by inviting attacks on their production systems is playing a very
dangerous game. There is no guarantee that a vuln discovered by a
truly honest researcher couldn't become a weapon for the dishonest
"researcher" through secondary discovery

I'm not sure I follow. Are you saying that the dishonest researcher
will not try to find vulnerabilities if there is no reward program for
the honest ones?

He made a good example of a Slippery Slope.

--
Ramon de C Valle / Red Hat Product Security Team

Exactly so. I'm not so naive as to believe that monetary motivation turns EvilBob into GoodBob, but neither do I want to make EvilBob's job that much easier by increasing the number of concurrent attackers (good or bad) through rewards. -----Original Message----- From: Ramon de C Valle [mailto:rcvalle@redhat.com] Sent: Tuesday, April 24, 2012 12:13 PM To: Michal Zalewski Cc: dailydave; websecurity@lists.webappsec.org; full-disclosure; bugtraq; Jim Harrison Subject: Re: [Full-disclosure] We're now paying up to $20, 000 for web vulns in our services > > IMHO, anyone who willingly, knowingly places customer data at risk > > by inviting attacks on their production systems is playing a very > > dangerous game. There is no guarantee that a vuln discovered by a > > truly honest researcher couldn't become a weapon for the dishonest > > "researcher" through secondary discovery > > I'm not sure I follow. Are you saying that the dishonest researcher > will not try to find vulnerabilities if there is no reward program for > the honest ones? He made a good example of a Slippery Slope. -- Ramon de C Valle / Red Hat Product Security Team