websecurity@lists.webappsec.org

The Web Security Mailing List

View all threads

[Web Security] Can a PADSS certified system be hacked

PS
Prasad Shenoy
Tue, May 28, 2013 2:44 PM

PA-DSS is not a security panacea as the other stated as well. I read someone mentioned about looking into your SDLC. That's a good starting point.

Don't look at security as a check box to meet the PA-DSS or any other compliance needs. That's when you fail. It should be an integral part of your thought process when designing and developing software, not a bolt on.

Lastly, the QSA is not to be blamed completely not knowing what environment and circumstances were available to the QSA when the engagement was performed and if those parameters changed when the product was delivered to the client (eg, your WAS might filter out reflected XSS while they do not have such filtering in their test environment. Another example, the QSA tested on chrome or IE with XSS Auditor enabled while the client tested with all bets off).

The reality is there are vulnerabilities in the application. Your answer (since you said you have no answer) should be to assure the client that you would go back to the drawing boards and take reasonable measures to fix the flaws before re-delivering the app.

If you don't have a good SSDL in place, this might be a good opportunity to start thinking about it and getting your management involved :)

Hope this helps!

Cheers,
Prasad

On May 28, 2013, at 10:18 AM, Steve Kerns Steve.Kerns@netspi.com wrote:

Can an application be hacked even if it is PA-DSS validated? The answer is yes? Have you made any changes to the application since the validation? If so, are you performing code reviews and your penetration testing against the application? Are you doing these internally or do you have them performed by a third party?

These should have been caught before the validation process during your testing/QA phase. The auditor should have also caught them, but depending on their skills, they may have not performed the right tests or used the right tools.

I am curious, what company did the PA-DSS validation?

Steve Kerns