Max size of a password

MH
Michael H Buselli
Sun, May 22, 2011 3:45 AM

On Sat, 21 May 2011 23:52:02 +0300, "MustLive" wrote:

My recommendations concerning minimum and maximum password's length are the
next:

  • minimum - 8 characters,
  • maximum - no limits (but you can add limits depending on hardware
    restrictions).

I haven't heard about industry's password best practices, but from 2005 in
my own security manual I was recommending above-mentioned 8 characters
minimum length (and with time it's needed to revise this limit).

A real good underlying goal of any such password policy is to try to
enforce use of passwords that have an entropy of at least some number of
bits.  I like using about 40 bits for average security needs, such as on
typical corporate systems and applications.  A completely random
6 character password using only printable ASCII characters achieves
about 40 bits, but people cannot be realistically expected to use such
passwords.  Expanding the minimum to 8 characters helps cover the gap
between usability and creating rememberable passwords with sufficient
entropy.  However, you will also need to mix in (annoying) password
complexity rules and rules forbidding dictionary words to achieve 40
bits in 8 characters.  Otherwise you need a yet larger minimum.  Keep
your user base in mind and decide which trade offs you want to make.

As time marches forward, there is no technical reason to increase the
minimum that you decide upon today that fits your organization.  New
password hashing algorithms (if they're any good for this use) increase
the time to compute accordingly and maintain a safe level of security
for passwords above 40 bits of entropy.  On this note, I recommend
against using anything in the SHA family without modification because
they're engineered to be fast, and you want a password hashing algorithm
engineered to be slow.  You can use a modified SHA algorithm with an
increased number of rounds to slow things down, or use bcrypt.  If you
do not control how things are hashed and they are hashed with a fast
algorithm, then file a bug report.

40 bits of entropy means that, on average, an attacker would need 500
trillion guesses at the password to crack it.  If you force him to use
a slow hash algorithm then the time to crack should greatly outlive the
life of the password before it is changed.  Therefore, make sure you
force your users to change their passwords as part of your policy, too.
The other reason that you force users to change their passwords is to
reduce the window of exposure if a password is sniffed, lifted, or
otherwise compromised, so thoughts on that issue need to be considered
when building your password policy as well.  I prefer 91 days (13 weeks)
for average security needs.  If you think that's too long for your
system, then I suggest you really consider using a two-factor
authentication scheme anyway.

Finally, another thing to keep in mind is how the application
authenticates its user or client.  If you are securing automated HTTP(S)
client-server communication that uses basic-auth instead of a login
followed by use of a cookie or token, you have to give up using a slow
hashing algorithm (all those HTTP requests will eat your CPU alive!) and
churn up the password entropy to compensate (maybe 64 or 80?  Plop in
128 bits of randomness in the password if you have room!).

T_/T_/T
Michael H Buselli        http://cosine.org/        cosine@cosine.org
"There's no such thing as a Jack of All Trades that hasn't mastered at
least one of them."

[...]
CT
Claudio Telmon
Sun, May 22, 2011 7:59 AM

On 05/22/2011 12:33 AM, Gautam wrote:

Now my delima is

SHA256(AAA)  = some 256 bit hash

now

SHA256(AAABB) = is also 256 bit hash

so with this reasoning will it make sense if i say no limit or just a
reasonable limit of 14 character since the result is always going to be
128bit text be it 8 characters or 14 characters.

A good hash function can provide you an entropy which is limited by the
length of the output, but the entropy available in the input domain is
also a limit. 14 characters as input from a user are not random bits and
won't provide 128 bit of entropy for the result. If users are permitted
(and suggested) to choose long passphrases, they may end up feeding the
function with enough entropy. If they are limited to 14 characters, they
will select passwords that will be shorter that 14 characters and are
not random, so they will always feed less that 128 bit of entropy to the
function, and the output will also have less that 128 bits of entropy,
even if it is 128 bit long.

ciao

  • Claudio

--

Claudio Telmon
claudio@telmon.org

[...]
albino
Sun, May 22, 2011 11:07 AM

I know most of you know this but I'm not sure about the OP. SHA256(AAA)
is more likely to be guessed than SHA256(AAABB) even though the
resulting hashes are the same length. When an attacker attempts to crack
hashes they don't guess the hash directly; they guess the password then
generate the hash to check whether it was correct or not. Guessing
SHA-256 hashes directly is unfeasible with current technology. So
placing an upper limit of 14 will decrease the security of some users.

albino

From: Gautam itsecanalyst@gmail.com
To: "MustLive" mustlive@websecurity.com.ua
Cc: websecurity@webappsec.org
Date: Sunday, 22 May, 2011, 4:03 AM

Thanks everyone for writing, MustLive i have expressed my opinion on mimimum limit and No maximum limit.

However while i wrote this post to this forum I was thinking in backend about how this impacts hashing results and the length.

As we all know storing just pain-text passwords would be the biggest blunder that anyone could do, so I recommend doing at least Salted-SHA versions.

Now my delima is

SHA256(AAA)  = some 256 bit hash

now

SHA256(AAABB) = is also 256 bit hash

so with this reasoning will it make sense if i say no limit or just a reasonable limit of 14 character since the result is always going to be 128bit text be it 8 characters or 14 characters.

Let me know your views.

Thanks,
Gautam

On Sat, May 21, 2011 at 1:52 PM, MustLive mustlive@websecurity.com.ua wrote:

Hello Gautam!

My recommendations concerning minimum and maximum password's length are the

next:

  • minimum - 8 characters,

  • maximum - no limits (but you can add limits depending on hardware

restrictions).

I haven't heard about industry's password best practices, but from 2005 in

my own security manual I was recommending above-mentioned 8 characters

minimum length (and with time it's needed to revise this limit).

in case anyone got it to perform offline attack.

Not only offline, but online attacks are possible. And in case if Brute

Force vulnerability will be in your system and nothing will be made to

prevent such attacks, then only strong passwords will be the last barrier

before attackers.

So take into account my recommended minimum length of password. Because too

short passwords can be not only easily picked up at offline attack, but

also at online attack.

Best wishes & regards,

MustLive

Administrator of Websecurity web site