websecurity@lists.webappsec.org

The Web Security Mailing List

View all threads

What's the differences between weakness and vulnerability?

Subin
Thu, Nov 10, 2011 8:22 PM

I'm looking for the best secure way to manage password history when an user resets(or creates a new) user id in a secure pci dss website.

Should we maintain single user Id per account and wipe out or overwrite the existing user Id and password history .
(this defeats the purpose of maintaining a password history as the user can always reuse the same Id and password)

Or

Should we create a new second user Id
Associated to this account and make sure the previous Userid is not used again ? In this case should we map the old password history to new one or let the user use his previous passwords on the new id?

This is on top of the rsa two factor authentication , the credentials referred here are what is stored in the application database to enforce password history(passmark authentication does not enforce password history)

Please advise ,

Thanks
Subin

Sent from my iPhone

[...]
Thu, Nov 10, 2011 11:40 PM

From: Subin subin.net@gmail.com
Date: November 10, 2011 3:22:13 PM EST
To: "websecurity@lists.webappsec.org" websecurity@lists.webappsec.org
Subject: [WEB SECURITY] What's the best way to maintain password history?

I'm looking for the best secure way to manage password history when an user resets(or creates a new) user id in a secure pci dss website.

Should we maintain single user Id per account and wipe out or overwrite the existing user Id and password history .
(this defeats the purpose of maintaining a password history as the user can always reuse the same Id and password)

Or

Should we create a new second user Id
Associated to this account and make sure the previous Userid is not used again ? In this case should we map the old password history to new one or let the user use his previous passwords on the new id?

This is on top of the rsa two factor authentication , the credentials referred here are what is stored in the application database to enforce password history(passmark authentication does not enforce password history)

Please advise ,

Thanks
Subin

Sent from my iPhone

> From: Subin <subin.net@gmail.com> > Date: November 10, 2011 3:22:13 PM EST > To: "websecurity@lists.webappsec.org" <websecurity@lists.webappsec.org> > Subject: [WEB SECURITY] What's the best way to maintain password history? > > I'm looking for the best secure way to manage password history when an user resets(or creates a new) user id in a secure pci dss website. > > Should we maintain single user Id per account and wipe out or overwrite the existing user Id and password history . > (this defeats the purpose of maintaining a password history as the user can always reuse the same Id and password) > > Or > > Should we create a new second user Id > Associated to this account and make sure the previous Userid is not used again ? In this case should we map the old password history to new one or let the user use his previous passwords on the new id? > > This is on top of the rsa two factor authentication , the credentials referred here are what is stored in the application database to enforce password history(passmark authentication does not enforce password history) > > Please advise , > > Thanks > Subin > > Sent from my iPhone > >
CH
Christian Heinrich
Sun, Nov 20, 2011 8:41 AM

Steve,

On Thu, Nov 10, 2011 at 3:30 PM, Steven M. Christey
coley@rcf-smtp.mitre.org wrote:

A software weakness, as we use in CWE, is a property of
software/systems that, under the right conditions, may permit
unintended or unauthorized behavior.  For example, if a routine does
not perform input validation, then it might permit unintended or
unauthorized behavior.  (In the CWE world, we generally think of a CWE
entry as a weakness "type.")

I prefer "vulture" i.e. a play on the words "vulnerability" and
"feature", which was suggested by Shawn Moyer and Nathan Hamiel at
Black Hat USA 2008 in their presentation was "Satan is on my Friends
List: Attacking Social Networks".

--
Regards,
Christian Heinrich

http://cmlh.id.au/contact

Steve, On Thu, Nov 10, 2011 at 3:30 PM, Steven M. Christey <coley@rcf-smtp.mitre.org> wrote: > A software weakness, as we use in CWE, is a property of > software/systems that, under the right conditions, may permit > unintended or unauthorized behavior.  For example, if a routine does > not perform input validation, then it *might* permit unintended or > unauthorized behavior.  (In the CWE world, we generally think of a CWE > entry as a weakness "type.") I prefer "vulture" i.e. a play on the words "vulnerability" and "feature", which was suggested by Shawn Moyer and Nathan Hamiel at Black Hat USA 2008 in their presentation was "Satan is on my Friends List: Attacking Social Networks". -- Regards, Christian Heinrich http://cmlh.id.au/contact