Re: [WASC-WAFEC] WAFEC 2 outline

OS
Ofer Shezaf
Thu, Nov 1, 2012 7:26 PM

I am happy to announce we have a first volunteer to own a section. Mark
Kraynak volunteered to own section 4 (Deployment Options).

Thanks you Mark!

~ Ofer

From: Ofer Shezaf [mailto:ofer@shezaf.com]
Sent: Tuesday, October 23, 2012 12:09 PM
To: 'wasc-wafec@lists.webappsec.org'
Subject: WAFEC 2 outline

Hi All,

I found myself recently just writing and writing for WAFEC 2 progressing
well beyond the point at which I should share back to the team and enlist
others to help. Christian's and Ido's contribution reminded me of that. To
that end, I cut back a lot of what I wrote and am now ready with an outline
for your review here:
http://projects.webappsec.org/w/page/60249779/WAFEC_2_Outline

I hope the outline addresses most of the issues discussed in the
conversation so far:

.        None core WAF items will be in an appendix, however I did mention
the need to take them into consideration in the first chapter under "using
WAFEC".

.        Security value is focused on addressing WASC-TC threats.
Protection techniques, which form the bulk of WAFEC 1 security part, are
included as well but are secondary to addressing threats.

.        A chapter is devoted to "what is a WAF" which should be
educational rather than used for evaluation, but does provide the background
including use cases.

.        Testing methodology, weighting, evaluation excel and alternative
solutions are all demoted to appendixes. Partially because I think they
belong there and partially to avoid delaying to get to a perfection on those
complex issues.

You can read more in the "philosophy" section on the page or inside the
attached outline document.

This is also a call for action:

.        Please review and comment on the outline. Deadline for this is Nov
15th.

.        Please, in parallel, select the chapter you want to work on from
the list on the page.  Note that only if you own and write a section you
will be listed as contributor. Others would be listed as reviewers.

Thanks and looking forward for the hard work!

~ Ofer

Ofer Shezaf

[+972-54-4431119; ofer@shezaf.com, www.shezaf.com]

I am happy to announce we have a first volunteer to own a section. Mark Kraynak volunteered to own section 4 (Deployment Options). Thanks you Mark! ~ Ofer From: Ofer Shezaf [mailto:ofer@shezaf.com] Sent: Tuesday, October 23, 2012 12:09 PM To: 'wasc-wafec@lists.webappsec.org' Subject: WAFEC 2 outline Hi All, I found myself recently just writing and writing for WAFEC 2 progressing well beyond the point at which I should share back to the team and enlist others to help. Christian's and Ido's contribution reminded me of that. To that end, I cut back a lot of what I wrote and am now ready with an outline for your review here: http://projects.webappsec.org/w/page/60249779/WAFEC_2_Outline I hope the outline addresses most of the issues discussed in the conversation so far: . None core WAF items will be in an appendix, however I did mention the need to take them into consideration in the first chapter under "using WAFEC". . Security value is focused on addressing WASC-TC threats. Protection techniques, which form the bulk of WAFEC 1 security part, are included as well but are secondary to addressing threats. . A chapter is devoted to "what is a WAF" which should be educational rather than used for evaluation, but does provide the background including use cases. . Testing methodology, weighting, evaluation excel and alternative solutions are all demoted to appendixes. Partially because I think they belong there and partially to avoid delaying to get to a perfection on those complex issues. You can read more in the "philosophy" section on the page or inside the attached outline document. This is also a call for action: . Please review and comment on the outline. Deadline for this is Nov 15th. . Please, in parallel, select the chapter you want to work on from the list on the page. Note that only if you own and write a section you will be listed as contributor. Others would be listed as reviewers. Thanks and looking forward for the hard work! ~ Ofer Ofer Shezaf [+972-54-4431119; ofer@shezaf.com, www.shezaf.com]