wasc-wafec@lists.webappsec.org

WASC Web Application Firewall Evaluation Criteria Project Mailing List

View all threads

Feedback on What is a WAF

EC
Eldad Chai
Tue, Feb 19, 2013 8:13 AM

Section 2.1 Definitions

I also once tried to find a good definition for a WAF and could not and I
don’t see how these definitions help anyone understand what a WAF is.

The first talks about how the technology is delivered instead of what it
does and in any case it is out of date

The second is really to general to use

The third is a combination of a not bad high level description with too
many details

I think we can come up with a simple and easy to understand definition.

If you ask me, the definition has to convey what the WAF does which is a)
mitigate any attempt to harm the application, its users or the business
through the web b) prevent detection and neutralize any vulnerability or
weakness in the application

Section 2.2.1 Attack Detection

Isn’t this section a good place to talk about the different detection
techniques? Positive, negative, reputation, statistical, …?

“…harm any traffic.” can be made more clear

Section 2.2.2 Attack Mitigation

IMO this section should list some of the popular mitigation strategies.

Blocking is definitely one but also obfuscation, masking, challenges…

The main point is that different threats / attacks should be mitigated
differently and a key evaluation criteria should be the available
mitigation capabilities

Section 2.3 How does a WAF work

IMO there should be much more details on how the deferent technologies work
(reverse proxy, sniffer, ..)

I think that understanding how WAFs works requires at least a high level
list of the mechanisms involved: decoding, normalization, signatures…

Should this section or another section on this page list the different
placement of WAFs? DMZ, cloud, hosted,…

Eldad Chai

Director of Product Management

eldad@incapsula.com

+1 (650) 488 4779

[...]
OS
Ofer Shezaf
Tue, Feb 19, 2013 12:17 PM

Chapter 2 is an introductory section. Specifically the information you are
looking for in 2.2.1, 2.2.2 and 2.3 is available in other sections. How much
should be repeated (or rather presented in advance) here is to a large
extent a matter of document editing and style.

As to the definition you suggest, it covers code fixing as well..

~ Ofer

[...]

eldad@incapsula.com mailto:eldad@incapsula.com

+1 (650) 488 4779

Chapter 2 is an introductory section. Specifically the information you are looking for in 2.2.1, 2.2.2 and 2.3 is available in other sections. How much should be repeated (or rather presented in advance) here is to a large extent a matter of document editing and style. As to the definition you suggest, it covers code fixing as well.. ~ Ofer From: wasc-wafec [mailto:wasc-wafec-bounces@lists.webappsec.org] On Behalf Of Eldad Chai Sent: Tuesday, February 19, 2013 9:13 AM To: wasc-wafec@lists.webappsec.org Subject: [WASC-WAFEC] Feedback on What is a WAF Section 2.1 Definitions I also once tried to find a good definition for a WAF and could not and I don't see how these definitions help anyone understand what a WAF is. The first talks about how the technology is delivered instead of what it does and in any case it is out of date The second is really to general to use The third is a combination of a not bad high level description with too many details I think we can come up with a simple and easy to understand definition. If you ask me, the definition has to convey what the WAF does which is a) mitigate any attempt to harm the application, its users or the business through the web b) prevent detection and neutralize any vulnerability or weakness in the application Section 2.2.1 Attack Detection Isn't this section a good place to talk about the different detection techniques? Positive, negative, reputation, statistical, .? ".harm any traffic." can be made more clear Section 2.2.2 Attack Mitigation IMO this section should list some of the popular mitigation strategies. Blocking is definitely one but also obfuscation, masking, challenges. The main point is that different threats / attacks should be mitigated differently and a key evaluation criteria should be the available mitigation capabilities Section 2.3 How does a WAF work IMO there should be much more details on how the deferent technologies work (reverse proxy, sniffer, ..) I think that understanding how WAFs works requires at least a high level list of the mechanisms involved: decoding, normalization, signatures. Should this section or another section on this page list the different placement of WAFs? DMZ, cloud, hosted,. Eldad Chai Director of Product Management eldad@incapsula.com <mailto:eldad@incapsula.com> +1 (650) 488 4779
EC
Eldad Chai
Tue, Feb 19, 2013 12:56 PM

Chapter 2 is an introductory section. Specifically the information you

are looking for in 2.2.1, 2.2.2 and 2.3 is available in other sections. How
much should be repeated (or rather presented in advance) here is to a large
extent a matter of document editing and style.

I actually think of this page as a somewhat standalone page with a lot of
links into other sections. What is a WAF? Here you go…

I don’t know how the “What is a WAF?” question can be answered without at
least mentioning these key elements – by editing, styling or whatever means

As to the definition you suggest, it covers code fixing as well….

Maybe it is true and the definition can be more accurate but my main point
is that what a WAF does seems important in its definition, especially for
readers who are not security professional

Eldad

> [...]

>> Chapter 2 is an introductory section. Specifically the information you are looking for in 2.2.1, 2.2.2 and 2.3 is available in other sections. How much should be repeated (or rather presented in advance) here is to a large extent a matter of document editing and style. I actually think of this page as a somewhat standalone page with a lot of links into other sections. What is a WAF? Here you go… I don’t know how the “What is a WAF?” question can be answered without at least mentioning these key elements – by editing, styling or whatever means >> As to the definition you suggest, it covers code fixing as well…. Maybe it is true and the definition can be more accurate but my main point is that what a WAF does seems important in its definition, especially for readers who are not security professional Eldad *From:* Ofer Shezaf [mailto:oshezaf@gmail.com] *On Behalf Of *Ofer Shezaf *Sent:* Tuesday, February 19, 2013 2:18 PM *To:* 'Eldad Chai'; wasc-wafec@lists.webappsec.org *Subject:* RE: [WASC-WAFEC] Feedback on What is a WAF Chapter 2 is an introductory section. Specifically the information you are looking for in 2.2.1, 2.2.2 and 2.3 is available in other sections. How much should be repeated (or rather presented in advance) here is to a large extent a matter of document editing and style. As to the definition you suggest, it covers code fixing as well…. ~ Ofer *From:* wasc-wafec [mailto:wasc-wafec-bounces@lists.webappsec.org<wasc-wafec-bounces@lists.webappsec.org>] *On Behalf Of *Eldad Chai *Sent:* Tuesday, February 19, 2013 9:13 AM *To:* wasc-wafec@lists.webappsec.org *Subject:* [WASC-WAFEC] Feedback on What is a WAF Section 2.1 Definitions I also once tried to find a good definition for a WAF and could not and I don’t see how these definitions help anyone understand what a WAF is. The first talks about how the technology is delivered instead of what it does and in any case it is out of date The second is really to general to use The third is a combination of a not bad high level description with too many details I think we can come up with a simple and easy to understand definition. If you ask me, the definition has to convey what the WAF does which is a) mitigate any attempt to harm the application, its users or the business through the web b) prevent detection and neutralize any vulnerability or weakness in the application Section 2.2.1 Attack Detection Isn’t this section a good place to talk about the different detection techniques? Positive, negative, reputation, statistical, …? “…harm any traffic.” can be made more clear Section 2.2.2 Attack Mitigation IMO this section should list some of the popular mitigation strategies. Blocking is definitely one but also obfuscation, masking, challenges… The main point is that different threats / attacks should be mitigated differently and a key evaluation criteria should be the available mitigation capabilities Section 2.3 How does a WAF work IMO there should be much more details on how the deferent technologies work (reverse proxy, sniffer, ..) I think that understanding how WAFs works requires at least a high level list of the mechanisms involved: decoding, normalization, signatures… Should this section or another section on this page list the different placement of WAFs? DMZ, cloud, hosted,… *Eldad Chai* *Director of Product Management* eldad@incapsula.com +1 (650) 488 4779
AH
Achim Hoffmann
Thu, Feb 21, 2013 8:55 AM

Hi,

after my first description Ofer reminded me to describe "what a WAF is" by
describing "what it does". This is exactly what you ask for, Eldad, is it?

The current description mainly does that, see last paragraph in 2.1 which
referes to 2.2. Use Cases. So I don't get what you are missing. I don't claim
that the current description is perfect, so can you please give me an example
what you're missing.

Also, the descriptions in "What is a WAF" should be general and broad, while
the details are in the other sections (as Ofer mentioned).

Some details:

... b) prevent detection and neutralize any vulnerability or weakness in the application ...

This is a good description. Thanks. How about adding following right in
2 What is a WAF
A WAF detects malicious traffic and prevents that a weakness in a system
and/or application can be exploited. It therefore can reduce the risk
of impacts caused by threats against known or unknown vulnerability.

(still to to be improved, somehow ...)
I'd say that this can serve as a "management summary description" ;-)

... to talk about the different detection

The broad description is already there. I also suggested right there -- see
2.2.1 and 2.2.2 -- that references to the proper sections need to be added, IMHO.

... "...harm any traffic.” can be made more clear

Ok, in this context -- detection -- we can replace "harm" by "does not change".
Does this sound better?

Regards,
Achim

Am 19.02.2013 13:56, schrieb Eldad Chai:

[...]

Hi, after my first description Ofer reminded me to describe "what a WAF is" by describing "what it does". This is exactly what you ask for, Eldad, is it? The current description mainly does that, see last paragraph in 2.1 which referes to 2.2. Use Cases. So I don't get what you are missing. I don't claim that the current description is perfect, so can you please give me an example what you're missing. Also, the descriptions in "What is a WAF" should be general and broad, while the details are in the other sections (as Ofer mentioned). Some details: > ... b) prevent detection and neutralize any vulnerability or weakness in the application ... This is a good description. Thanks. How about adding following right in 2 What is a WAF ... A WAF detects malicious traffic and prevents that a weakness in a system and/or application can be exploited. It therefore can reduce the risk of impacts caused by threats against known or unknown vulnerability. (still to to be improved, somehow ...) I'd say that this can serve as a "management summary description" ;-) > ... to talk about the different detection The broad description is already there. I also suggested right there -- see 2.2.1 and 2.2.2 -- that references to the proper sections need to be added, IMHO. > ... "...harm any traffic.” can be made more clear Ok, in this context -- detection -- we can replace "harm" by "does not change". Does this sound better? Regards, Achim Am 19.02.2013 13:56, schrieb Eldad Chai: >>> Chapter 2 is an introductory section. Specifically the information you > are looking for in 2.2.1, 2.2.2 and 2.3 is available in other sections. How > much should be repeated (or rather presented in advance) here is to a large > extent a matter of document editing and style. > > I actually think of this page as a somewhat standalone page with a lot of > links into other sections. What is a WAF? Here you go… > > I don’t know how the “What is a WAF?” question can be answered without at > least mentioning these key elements – by editing, styling or whatever means > > > >>> As to the definition you suggest, it covers code fixing as well…. > > Maybe it is true and the definition can be more accurate but my main point > is that what a WAF does seems important in its definition, especially for > readers who are not security professional > > > > Eldad > > > > *From:* Ofer Shezaf [mailto:oshezaf@gmail.com] *On Behalf Of *Ofer Shezaf > *Sent:* Tuesday, February 19, 2013 2:18 PM > *To:* 'Eldad Chai'; wasc-wafec@lists.webappsec.org > *Subject:* RE: [WASC-WAFEC] Feedback on What is a WAF > > > > Chapter 2 is an introductory section. Specifically the information you are > looking for in 2.2.1, 2.2.2 and 2.3 is available in other sections. How > much should be repeated (or rather presented in advance) here is to a large > extent a matter of document editing and style. > > > > As to the definition you suggest, it covers code fixing as well…. > > > > ~ Ofer > > > > *From:* wasc-wafec > [mailto:wasc-wafec-bounces@lists.webappsec.org<wasc-wafec-bounces@lists.webappsec.org>] > *On Behalf Of *Eldad Chai > *Sent:* Tuesday, February 19, 2013 9:13 AM > *To:* wasc-wafec@lists.webappsec.org > *Subject:* [WASC-WAFEC] Feedback on What is a WAF > > > > Section 2.1 Definitions > > I also once tried to find a good definition for a WAF and could not and I > don’t see how these definitions help anyone understand what a WAF is. > > The first talks about how the technology is delivered instead of what it > does and in any case it is out of date > > The second is really to general to use > > The third is a combination of a not bad high level description with too > many details > > I think we can come up with a simple and easy to understand definition. > > If you ask me, the definition has to convey what the WAF does which is a) > mitigate any attempt to harm the application, its users or the business > through the web b) prevent detection and neutralize any vulnerability or > weakness in the application > > > > Section 2.2.1 Attack Detection > > Isn’t this section a good place to talk about the different detection > techniques? Positive, negative, reputation, statistical, …? > > “…harm any traffic.” can be made more clear > > > > Section 2.2.2 Attack Mitigation > > IMO this section should list some of the popular mitigation strategies. > > Blocking is definitely one but also obfuscation, masking, challenges… > > The main point is that different threats / attacks should be mitigated > differently and a key evaluation criteria should be the available > mitigation capabilities > > > > Section 2.3 How does a WAF work > > IMO there should be much more details on how the deferent technologies work > (reverse proxy, sniffer, ..) > > I think that understanding how WAFs works requires at least a high level > list of the mechanisms involved: decoding, normalization, signatures… > > Should this section or another section on this page list the different > placement of WAFs? DMZ, cloud, hosted,… > > > > > > *Eldad Chai* > > *Director of Product Management* > > eldad@incapsula.com > > +1 (650) 488 4779
EC
Eldad Chai
Mon, Feb 25, 2013 12:02 PM

Inline

after my first description Ofer reminded me to describe "what a WAF is" by
describing "what it does". This is exactly what you ask for, Eldad, is it?

Yes it is

The current description mainly does that, see last paragraph in 2.1 which
referes to 2.2. Use Cases. So I don't get what you are missing. I don't
claim that the current description is perfect, so can you please give me an
example what you're missing.

I am talking from my perspective only. Today anyone can name his offering
a WAF and this section in my opinion does not help in saying whether a
piece of technology is or isn’t a WAF.
I am fine with presenting the use cases but I do not think they can
replace a definition.

[...]

Perhaps it is a matter of style. At least for 2.2.1 I was thinking of a
more structured description of how detection works (not for a specific
vulnerability).
But perhaps it is only me.

... "...harm any traffic.” can be made more clear

Ok, in this context -- detection -- we can replace "harm" by "does not
change".
Does this sound better?

Yes or "does not interfere with traffic"

From: wasc-wafec