websecurity@lists.webappsec.org

The Web Security Mailing List

View all threads

Re: [WEB SECURITY] Fwd: First time login and password resets...

PJ
Paulus Junior Lazuardi
Wed, Feb 2, 2011 6:38 AM

Hi, It's for corporate app

Thanks

Junior

On Wed, Feb 2, 2011 at 10:31 AM, James Manico jim@manico.net wrote:

Good question - is this a consumer app or a corporate app?

-Jim Manico
http://manico.net

On Feb 1, 2011, at 9:18 PM, Paulus Junior Lazuardi paulusjrlz@gmail.com
wrote:

Hi,

do you have recommendations for first time credentials of a newly migrated
system?

Thanks and Regards,

Junior

On Tue, Feb 1, 2011 at 1:59 AM, James Manico < jim@manico.net
jim@manico.net> wrote:

Juan is expressing current best practice. A very reasonable risk posture.

I was also impressed with some of the ideas in :

http://www.fishnetsecurity.com/Resource_/PageResource/White_Papers/FishNetSecurity_SecureForgotPassword.pdf
http://www.fishnetsecurity.com/Resource_/PageResource/White_Papers/FishNetSecurity_SecureForgotPassword.pdf

... Takeaway: avoid email and either ask a lot of questions to allow for
the reset, and/or possibly use a cell phone as a second factor. Email is
inherently plaintext and insecure.

-Jim Manico
http://manico.nethttp://manico.net

On Jan 31, 2011, at 11:19 AM, "Calderon, Juan Carlos (GE, Corporate,
consultant)" < juan.calderon@ge.comjuan.calderon@ge.com> wrote:

From my point of view you have it pretty much all covered. my personal
process is

Generate a temporary token (30 min to 1 day max). So email will be useless
after that period in case the computer or user email is compromised
Send a HTTPS link to user with the temp token. Avoid wire sniffing
The end user will have answer a challenge question (one of at least 2
entered on registration) and then reset its password. Supply an identity
element, in this case challenge response instead of previous password and
reset password as it should be in hash or salted hash format thus not
reversible nor displayable to user.
Request for password reset and password reset success should be notified
to user via registered email

This approach implies users register themselves, also, if your site is not
public but corporate level and contains sensitive information, I strongly
recommend you also add a manager authorization step to keep accountability
for system accesses granted.

As everything in security the approach is not perfect, but I think is good
enough due to limited time window and measures taken to avoid disclosing the
password.

Regards,
Juan C Calderon