websecurity@lists.webappsec.org

The Web Security Mailing List

View all threads

Re: [WEB SECURITY] Debug symbol in Jave Code

Gautam
Wed, May 4, 2011 8:34 PM

Hi MustLive (Don't know your real name, apologies)

So while i am happy i was correct (after reading your mail below)  and have
mentioned that we should not have '-g' debug 'ON' in production build.

Now a response to that was 'hey we are just writing web services and they
don't put anything on the webpages and if no stack traces are seen we don't
see any security issue here".

What are your thoughts on this.

Adding WASC mailing list, in case it goes this time.

Thanks,
Gautam

On Wed, May 4, 2011 at 9:59 AM, MustLive mustlive@websecurity.com.uawrote:

Hello Gautam!

You've meant WASC Websecurity Mailing List?

With no doubts you can write me directly :-), but taking into account that
I'm busy man, so for faster answers it's better for you to send questions to
mailing list, where many people will see them and will be able to answer
you.

if it would be wise to (security wise) have jave code with DEBUG symbols

ON in production.

It's not wise for any programming language to show any debug information in
production environment (like at web sites) - as in Java, as in other
language. To not allow any information leakages which can occur within debug
information.

Concerning Java in particular, then I have some experience in it (including
pentesting sites on JSP, so I saw many times Information Disclosures via
error messages, so on server/webapp error messaging must be turned off),
read a lot of sources, did decompilation of applets and even wrote "hello
world" application :-). So I have different experience in Java, but still
small especially in developing of Java applications, so except error
messages in JSP web applications I've not seen other output of debug
information. For this reason it's hard for me to tell you about specific
disclosures in such webapps/apps and risks in every particular case, but in
general it's better to turn debug messages off in production environment.

Best wishes & regards,
MustLive
Administrator of Websecurity web site
http://websecurity.com.ua