wasc-satec@lists.webappsec.org

WASC Static Analysis Tool Evaluation Criteria

View all threads

A thread for questions before voting?

SK
Sherif Koussa
Fri, Aug 12, 2011 1:26 AM

This actually was supposed to be a sub-category under 3. Scan Coverage and
Accuracy

Are you looking to make this its own category?

Regards,
Sherif

On Thu, Aug 11, 2011 at 9:01 PM, benoit.guerette@owasp.org wrote:

Sorry I was not clear enough.

If I was in the process to acquire a tool, I would ask very specific
questions to the vendors about what they cover in the Top Ten or SANS
25 as examples.

In my mind, a generic item with so many criteria inside (xss, csrf,
sqli, etc.) need to be covered in details, as it is the goal of the
tool to trap them -> we should be able to compare the tools based on
multiple criterias in that specific item.

On Thu, Aug 11, 2011 at 8:49 PM, Sherif Koussa sherif.koussa@gmail.com
wrote:

We are not limited to 10 sections only, we can definitely add\remove as

we

wish.

"would be specific and interested as a future customer about what
kind of verifications the tool cover, as it is a very important
subject. It is like the Annex A of the NIST document."

Do you mean things like OWASP Top 10, SANS 25...etc?

Regards,
Sherif

[...]
SR
Srikanth Ramu
Fri, Aug 12, 2011 2:19 AM

Regarding having the pricing (licensing model, support etc), I would suggest
it to be part of the guideline, may be a non technical section. In my
opinion, the guideline could be used a template (simple spreadsheet) for
organizations looking for static code analysis tool. Evaluators could mark
(yes/no) on the relevant topics while comparing various tools and then
recommend a suitable tool to their management.

-Srikanth

On Wed, Aug 10, 2011 at 8:56 PM, Alen Zukich alen.zukich@klocwork.comwrote:

I agree with Robert.

alen