wasc-wafec@lists.webappsec.org

WASC Web Application Firewall Evaluation Criteria Project Mailing List

View all threads

Proposed "Conflict of Interest" Section?

CH
Christian Heinrich
Fri, Jul 19, 2013 1:31 AM

Ofer,

I have just reviewed
http://projects.webappsec.org/w/page/54150727/WAFEC%202#Contributors

I have noticed that three out of the seven people (~42%) listed as
"contributors" are from a single WAF vendor (who I have deliberately
not named), including their SVP of Marketing.

To avoid the greater webappsec community (false or otherwise) claiming
that the WAFECv2 has been subverted by a single WAF vendor (who I have
deliberately not named) can we please include a "Conflict of interest"
section that WAFECv2 has been reviewed by other WAF vendors too i.e.
based on http://projects.webappsec.org/w/page/54150727/WAFEC%202#Reviewers
this would include "Barracuda Networks", F5, "Mykonos, a Juniper
Company", etc

I am wiling to contribute this small section if you don't have the time?

Obviously, the optimal solution would be to have shared contributors
from at least two WAF vendors per section (if the contributor is not a
WAF vendor or reseller) and perhaps we can introduce this policy in
the development of WAFECv3?

--
Regards,
Christian Heinrich

http://cmlh.id.au/contact

[...]
AH
Achim Hoffmann
Fri, Jul 19, 2013 9:21 AM

Am 19.07.2013 03:31, schrieb Christian Heinrich:

To avoid the greater webappsec community (false or otherwise) claiming
that the WAFECv2 has been subverted by a single WAF vendor (who I have
deliberately not named) can we please include a "Conflict of interest"
section that WAFECv2 has been reviewed by other WAF vendors too i.e.
based on http://projects.webappsec.org/w/page/54150727/WAFEC%202#Reviewers
this would include "Barracuda Networks", F5, "Mykonos, a Juniper
Company", etc

Hi Christian,

just to be more precise: you mean that the "Conflict of interest" section
points out that even the contributions are from 3 vendors, it has been reviewed
by other (ca. 5) vendors. So we have ca. 8 vendors in total.
Sounds fair.

Cheers
Achim

Am 19.07.2013 03:31, schrieb Christian Heinrich: > To avoid the greater webappsec community (false or otherwise) claiming > that the WAFECv2 has been subverted by a single WAF vendor (who I have > deliberately not named) can we please include a "Conflict of interest" > section that WAFECv2 has been reviewed by other WAF vendors too i.e. > based on http://projects.webappsec.org/w/page/54150727/WAFEC%202#Reviewers > this would include "Barracuda Networks", F5, "Mykonos, a Juniper > Company", etc Hi Christian, just to be more precise: you mean that the "Conflict of interest" section points out that even the contributions are from 3 vendors, it has been reviewed by other (ca. 5) vendors. So we have ca. 8 vendors in total. Sounds fair. Cheers Achim
CH
Christian Heinrich
Sat, Jul 20, 2013 12:09 AM

Achim,

On Fri, Jul 19, 2013 at 7:21 PM, Achim Hoffmann websec10@sic-sec.org wrote:

just to be more precise: you mean that the "Conflict of interest" section
points out that even the contributions are from 3 vendors, it has been reviewed
by other (ca. 5) vendors. So we have ca. 8 vendors in total.
Sounds fair.

I count seven people at
http://projects.webappsec.org/w/page/54150727/WAFEC%202#Contributors
but I may be wrong.

At first glance
http://projects.webappsec.org/w/page/54150727/WAFEC%202#Contributors
appears to be dominated by a single vendor.  However this is not the
case when it is considered under the context of names assigned to each
section within http://projects.webappsec.org/w/page/60249779/WAFEC_2_Outline

The core issue is that of first impression of the reader and
clarifying this at the beginning of WAFECv2 would avoid their above
(incorrect) conclusion by the reader [of WAFECv2].

I'll assume it might be possible to extract the percentage of each
contributor too and if the total of these three [contributors] are
lower than that of the other four [contributors] then this metric
would also be helpful?

--
Regards,
Christian Heinrich

http://cmlh.id.au/contact

Achim, On Fri, Jul 19, 2013 at 7:21 PM, Achim Hoffmann <websec10@sic-sec.org> wrote: > just to be more precise: you mean that the "Conflict of interest" section > points out that even the contributions are from 3 vendors, it has been reviewed > by other (ca. 5) vendors. So we have ca. 8 vendors in total. > Sounds fair. I count seven people at http://projects.webappsec.org/w/page/54150727/WAFEC%202#Contributors but I may be wrong. At first glance http://projects.webappsec.org/w/page/54150727/WAFEC%202#Contributors appears to be dominated by a single vendor. However this is not the case when it is considered under the context of names assigned to each section within http://projects.webappsec.org/w/page/60249779/WAFEC_2_Outline The core issue is that of first impression of the reader and clarifying this at the beginning of WAFECv2 would avoid their above (incorrect) conclusion by the reader [of WAFECv2]. I'll assume it might be possible to extract the percentage of each contributor too and if the total of these three [contributors] are lower than that of the other four [contributors] then this metric would also be helpful? -- Regards, Christian Heinrich http://cmlh.id.au/contact
OS
Ofer Shezaf
Sun, Jul 28, 2013 5:25 AM

Christian,

This is a community project: people will always have a day job and a night
job and they are never completely separated. As long as we keep transparency
and open review to everyone, listed or not, and I believe your pointers
shows that we do, we are OK and I will not add such a "warning".

~ Ofer

[...]

Christian, This is a community project: people will always have a day job and a night job and they are never completely separated. As long as we keep transparency and open review to everyone, listed or not, and I believe your pointers shows that we do, we are OK and I will not add such a "warning". ~ Ofer -----Original Message----- From: wasc-wafec [mailto:wasc-wafec-bounces@lists.webappsec.org] On Behalf Of Christian Heinrich Sent: 20 July 2013 03:09 To: Achim Hoffmann Cc: wasc-wafec@lists.webappsec.org Subject: Re: [WASC-WAFEC] Proposed "Conflict of Interest" Section? Achim, On Fri, Jul 19, 2013 at 7:21 PM, Achim Hoffmann <websec10@sic-sec.org> wrote: > just to be more precise: you mean that the "Conflict of interest" > section points out that even the contributions are from 3 vendors, it > has been reviewed by other (ca. 5) vendors. So we have ca. 8 vendors in total. > Sounds fair. I count seven people at http://projects.webappsec.org/w/page/54150727/WAFEC%202#Contributors but I may be wrong. At first glance http://projects.webappsec.org/w/page/54150727/WAFEC%202#Contributors appears to be dominated by a single vendor. However this is not the case when it is considered under the context of names assigned to each section within http://projects.webappsec.org/w/page/60249779/WAFEC_2_Outline The core issue is that of first impression of the reader and clarifying this at the beginning of WAFECv2 would avoid their above (incorrect) conclusion by the reader [of WAFECv2]. I'll assume it might be possible to extract the percentage of each contributor too and if the total of these three [contributors] are lower than that of the other four [contributors] then this metric would also be helpful? -- Regards, Christian Heinrich http://cmlh.id.au/contact _______________________________________________ wasc-wafec mailing list wasc-wafec@lists.webappsec.org http://lists.webappsec.org/mailman/listinfo/wasc-wafec_lists.webappsec.org
CH
Christian Heinrich
Mon, Aug 5, 2013 1:34 AM

Ofer,

On Sun, Jul 28, 2013 at 3:25 PM, Ofer Shezaf ofer@shezaf.com wrote:

This is a community project: people will always have a day job and a night
job and they are never completely separated. As long as we keep transparency
and open review to everyone, listed or not, and I believe your pointers
shows that we do, we are OK and I will not add such a "warning".

SVP of Marketing do not have engage in night jobs that leverage their
engineering degree! as opposed to their "creative writing" degree.

I will accept your "won't fix" response under protest.

--
Regards,
Christian Heinrich

http://cmlh.id.au/contact

Ofer, On Sun, Jul 28, 2013 at 3:25 PM, Ofer Shezaf <ofer@shezaf.com> wrote: > This is a community project: people will always have a day job and a night > job and they are never completely separated. As long as we keep transparency > and open review to everyone, listed or not, and I believe your pointers > shows that we do, we are OK and I will not add such a "warning". SVP of Marketing do not have engage in night jobs that leverage their engineering degree! as opposed to their "creative writing" degree. I will accept your "won't fix" response under protest. -- Regards, Christian Heinrich http://cmlh.id.au/contact