[WEB SECURITY] JBOSS JMX-Console HTTP Basic Authentication

Andrew van der Stock vanderaj at owasp.org
Thu Feb 13 20:37:07 EST 2014

Depends on a few factors:

a) Do they have CPU or audit logging to detect and escalate a response to
an in progress brute force attack? Usually, no
b) Depends if they have removed or disabled all default accounts for
jmx-console. Usually, no
c) Depends on the complexity of the passwords chosen. We can brute force
about 1000-2000 tests per second on a locally situated JBoss server that is
doing nothing else using Hydra or similar. If you have chosen a 16
character random password or a long passphrase, brute forcing will never
find the password in a reasonable time
d) Can an attacker intercept the communications between a valid
administrator of jmx-console or other sensitive traffic? If so, password
complexity does not matter, the issue relates to encrypted or interceptable
traffic. If jmx-console is not available outside of the management network,
I believe the risk to be relatively low. Just consider all those SuperMicro
IPMI vulnerabilities - folks can and are pwned by this issue, but for the
most part, if the management ports are properly protected as AS 4444 / BS
7799 / 17799 / 27002 has required since I don't know, 20 years now, then
... is this an issue that needs further tightening.

Honestly, considering that it took me longer to type this up than it would
take a system administrator to close these issues down, I would say "just
fix it". Attack surface reduction is always a great idea, just in case we
found out more later.

And it would be great if Red Hat would no enable JMX Console etc by default
for new installs. Those who need it, know it. They can turn it on after
thinking about how best to secure it for their specific business
requirements.

thanks
Andrew