[WEB SECURITY] What's the best way to maintain password history?

Subin subin.net at gmail.com
Fri Nov 11 14:55:00 EST 2011

Hi,

This is an online banking  / credit card website and user id can be anything 6 to 32 chars (no spaces) but has to be a combination of alpha / numerical or special chars.

Email is is only used for notification that your email Id was looked up or password was reset ( user id is not sent in the email)It's the same as with major cards like Bofa / chase / capital one etc
They all allow to change online login id.

Like Justin said , it seemed like a bug to me too but when I look back at how other cards have implemented it , it's pretty much the same.probably because there are no standards enforcing them or password history is not given much importance...

Passwords are stored as salted hash We follow rsa two factor authentication FDIC / FFIEC and pci dss

Thanks
Subin

Sent from my iPhone