[WEB SECURITY] What's the best way to maintain password history?

Darren Bounds dbounds at gmail.com
Thu Nov 10 19:52:37 EST 2011

One drawback in relying solely on a hash for password history policy
enforcement is that won't allow you to perform any level of character
analysis for similarity to previous passwords, only identical ones. A
slightly more complicated but also more flexible system would involve
encryption rather than hashing. This technique is complicated due to the
need for key management.

Darren

--

Thank you,