[WEB SECURITY] websecurity Digest, Vol 11, Issue 5

Pete Herzog lists at isecom.org
Mon Nov 7 06:46:15 EST 2011

Hi,

Security does suffer from inconsistent taxonomy however that
inconsistency lies across methods and not within a method. I know
OSSTMM, also being a complicated piece of work, does occasionally have
a similar problem due to old versions of definitions from a previous
method clashing with the updated version. I'm sure this here is no
different.

What's important is that vulnerabilities, weaknesses, concerns, and
other such words within a subject have a factual basis rather than
come from an ideology. So if we want to say "weakness" we can do so by
framing the method from where it comes. And that word has a definite
function within that method. For example, if I said I was "depressed",
that word unframed takes the colloquial meaning of "sad". However if
it was framed as I was "diagnosed as clinically" _depressed_ then it
takes a whole new meaning within a method where depression describes a
function of associated operations (symptoms). Just like if Godzilla
talked to other monsters about being depressed after having depressed
a large number of people, they would know he speaks of the method of
stepping upon them until they submerge in the ground, which is a
specific operation within the function of being a rather large-sized
monster.

I deliberately made that stupid last sentence to make a point, that
any method can and should use a specific term only if that term has a
clear function or operation within a function regardless of the
industry or science. Being a nascent industry, taxonomy in network and
application security is borrowed from other industries and people
argue over that taxonomy as if other industries, like psychology,
haven't already encountered this issue before. And the more you
research and invent within this industry the more problems you're
going to have finding the right words to mean what you want to say.
The OSSTMM 3 is a huge example of that. So what's important is to
always frame your vocabulary as you speak and be forgiving of how
others use their vocabulary because in network and application
security, we're all non-native speakers.

That said, pragmatically, any control can be weak (or have a weakness)
if it does what it's supposed to do but does so poorly. Someone
mentioned "only" encryption. But I think authentication with a poor
password is also weak. Or indemnification with no teeth. Or integrity
verifying the wrong changes. Or alarm with a slow response. Etc.

Sincerely,
-pete.

Pete Herzog - Managing Director - pete at isecom.org
ISECOM - Institute for Security and Open Methodologies
www.isecom.org - www.osstmm.org
www.hackerhighschool.org - www.badpeopleproject.org