[WEB SECURITY] Static Source Code analysis Methodology

Aleksander P. Czarnowski aleksander.czarnowski at avet.com.pl
Thu May 26 16:52:28 EDT 2011

This is another important issue as it comes down not only to be able to filter out all false positives for example but to  actually being able to transfer knowledge from the review to architects, programmers, administrators etc. depending on chosen remediation solution and more global approach at the customer patch management process level.

Coming back to my previous post I believe there is only one working approach: fix all the bugs and errors disregarding if they are being ever triggered or not. Actually removing dead code is also one way of  making whole application more secure and source code is easier to manage than. My point was that to fully understand error/bug/vulnerability and associate proper risk level with it, one must take in account more than just single line of code. In this process the final execution environment has crucial impact on the assessment too.

Best Regards,

Aleksander P. Czarnowski

AVET Information and Network Security Sp. z o.o.

www.avet.com.pl