[WEB SECURITY] Max size of a password

Pavol Luptak pavol.luptak at nethemba.com
Sat May 21 09:39:15 EDT 2011

Hello,

On Fri, May 20, 2011 at 08:23:21AM -0700, Gautam wrote:

>    I was recently reviewing a internal document and noticed that the the
>    requirement for password mentioned that it should be minimum 7 characters
>    and maximum 14 characters.
>
>    While i was ok with the minimum, I was not ok with maximum 14 since I
>    believe that we should not put a restriction on the maximum and user can

Believe or not, but few months ago I had some problems with accessing to my
Internet banking (one new Slovak bank). It took me a lot of calls/emails to
their support center and after many weeks they finally found out where is the
problem - I set too long password (about 14-15 characters) and they simply do
not support such long passwords :-)

WTF? Is this possible in Internet banking environment? :)

Pavol
--
[Pavol Luptak, Nethemba s.r.o.] [http://www.nethemba.com] [tel: +421905400542]