[WEB SECURITY] Static Source Code analysis Methodology

Rusty Johnson rusty_johnson2 at yahoo.com
Wed May 11 19:37:41 EDT 2011

I can agree with you that experience and expertise matter greatly when performing a code review.
The following statements, although in regards to PHP hold true, at least in my experience, for most major frameworks:
Although settings as configured in something like php.ini can greatly affect PHP code behavior, anyone with enough experience doesn't preclude a finding based on these settings. For whatever the reason, these settings can be overwritten. If, as part of the overall report, an analyst would prefer to include the mitigating factor (settings) then I would understand. However, if this completely nullifies a finding.......I disagree wholeheartedly with the approach taken.
~cktricky
http://cktricky.blogspot.com