[WEB SECURITY] How are you tackling CSRF?

MustLive mustlive at websecurity.com.ua
Mon May 2 15:16:22 EDT 2011

Hi Pavol!

> Is it still true? I guess that modern WAFs (commercial ones) are able to

It's from what I know :-) - I haven't heard about WAFs which can protect
against CSRF (and it must be completely transparent). If there will be such
WAFs which will be protecting against CSRF completely transparent and
without creating of problems for correct work of the sites, then it'll be
good solution for protecting all those multiple webapps which are vulnerable
to CSRF (and there are a lot of them, as old as new ones, which partly or
completely vulnerable to CSRF).

Taking into account that it's hard task it'll be not easy to make such 100%
transparent and 100% reliable WAF with CSRF protection (which must not only
protect all requests, especially important ones, e.g. with tokens, but also
automatically decided which places are important and where for example not
needed to add tokens, carefully decide in case of GET requests, not overdo
with tokens where it's not needed to not overload the server, etc.).
Meanwhile the one and only reliable protection method - it's manually
protecting against CSRF (by writing appropriate programming code).

Besides, concerning CSRF topic - recently I wrote in my article "Attacks on
unprotected login forms"
(http://lists.webappsec.org/pipermail/websecurity_lists.webappsec.org/2011-April/007773.html)
also about CSRF attacks on login forms. It can be as direct CSRF attacks
(e.g. for remote loginning), as for conducting of other attacks, such as XSS
and Redirector (like in MyBB which I mentioned in the article).

Best wishes & regards,
MustLive
Administrator of Websecurity web site
http://websecurity.com.ua