[WEB SECURITY] Exploiting User-Agent XSS

owasp at intern0t.net owasp at intern0t.net
Wed Jun 8 05:09:01 EDT 2011

Hello MustLive,

Instead of just talking about how it may be possible to conduct XSS attacks vis
User-Agents with current up to date technology and referring to your own website
whenever possible, why don't you just provide this mailing list with relevant
examples?

If you know a way, the amount of time it takes to write a reply as your previous
to this mailing list, is the same as it takes to provide a relevant example. I'm
sorry, but all I see is talk, and old irrelevant examples.

The only possible way I know, is to trick the user into a scheme that could look
like this:
1. User clicks a short URL link, which redirects the user to a spoofed website
that looks like the target site.
2. The target site, makes a request on behalf of the user with a modified user
agent, conducting the XSS attack, and of course it returns the output.
3. Cross-domain policy, will prevent most critical assets from being accessed,
such as cookies. (If you use Firebug in FireFox, you'll get the usual access
denied error.)

This kind of attack, looks similar to TRACE (XST) attacks, because most if not
all current attack vectors, has been patched a long time ago.

As soon as it's another website, and not the user performing the request,
cross-domain policy will intervene and as previously stated, make possible
exploitation even harder.

There is an impact of User Agent XSS, but I'd profile it as low, due to the
requirements for a successful attack to work.

If you should have a way, of conducting XSS attacks vis User Agents, without
making any website or program (which is manually installed), perform the HTTP
request, then I'd like to see it.

Best regards,
MaXe