[WEB SECURITY] First time login and password resets...

James Manico jim at manico.net
Mon Jan 31 13:59:52 EST 2011

Juan is expressing current best practice. A very reasonable risk posture.

I was also impressed with some of the ideas in :

http://www.fishnetsecurity.com/Resource_/PageResource/White_Papers/FishNetSecurity_SecureForgotPassword.pdf

... Takeaway: avoid email and either ask a lot of questions to allow for the
reset, and/or possibly use a cell phone as a second factor. Email is
inherently plaintext and insecure.

-Jim Manico
http://manico.net

On Jan 31, 2011, at 11:19 AM, "Calderon, Juan Carlos (GE, Corporate,
consultant)" <juan.calderon at ge.com> wrote:

>From my point of view you have it pretty much all covered. my personal
process is

Generate a temporary token (30 min to 1 day max). So email will be useless
after that period in case the computer or user email is compromised
Send a HTTPS link to user with the temp token. Avoid wire sniffing
The end user will have answer a challenge question (one of at least 2
entered on registration) and then reset its password. Supply an identity
element, in this case challenge response instead of previous password and
reset password as it should be in hash or salted hash format thus not
reversible nor displayable to user.
Request for password reset and password reset success should be notified to
user via registered email

This approach implies users register themselves, also, if your site is not
public but corporate level and contains sensitive information, I strongly
recommend you also add a manager authorization step to keep accountability
for system accesses granted.

As everything in security the approach is not perfect, but I think is good
enough due to limited time window and measures taken to avoid disclosing the
password.

Regards,
*Juan C Calderon*