[WEB SECURITY] First time login and password resets...

Calderon, Juan Carlos (GE, Corporate, consultant) juan.calderon at ge.com
Mon Jan 31 11:31:26 EST 2011

>From my point of view you have it pretty much all covered. my personal
process is

Generate a temporary token (30 min to 1 day max). So email will be
useless after that period in case the computer or user email is
compromised
Send a HTTPS link to user with the temp token. Avoid wire sniffing
The end user will have answer a challenge question (one of at least 2
entered on registration) and then reset its password. Supply an identity
element, in this case challenge response instead of previous password
and reset password as it should be in hash or salted hash format thus
not reversible nor displayable to user.
Request for password reset and password reset success should be notified
to user via registered email

This approach implies users register themselves, also, if your site is
not public but corporate level and contains sensitive information, I
strongly recommend you also add a manager authorization step to keep
accountability for system accesses granted.

As everything in security the approach is not perfect, but I think is
good enough due to limited time window and measures taken to avoid
disclosing the password.

Regards,
Juan C Calderon