[WEB SECURITY] PCI DSS Level 1 - Guidelines for Storing Credit Card Details?

Gautam gautam.edu at gmail.com
Mon Feb 7 12:25:24 EST 2011

In my view you should hash it, unless you want to retrieve the plain text
number hashes would do it for you. if you do want to do
encryption/decryption then you need you need infrastructure to store your
keys securely (something that is dedicated for this task). I have seen some
good implementation using SafeNet products for this, i am not their sales
guys and hence you can do your own research on this for plus and minus.

Changing your keys regularly and securely and still able to encrypt and
decrypt your old data would be a good option. I have also seen and attended
discussion where payment organizations are moving towards using ECC for
encryption/decryption so you can see if it fits your requirement.

Let me know what you get, I would also like to learn from your experience.

-

--

Regards,

Gautam