[WEB SECURITY] WAF XSS Fuzzer?!

Arian J. Evans arian.evans at anachronic.com
Thu Feb 3 15:58:01 EST 2011

Awesome that someone put a book together on this subject; long
overdue. I didn't know there were others as geeked out on
canonicalization as you and I were, and the guys over at Depth
Security.

FYI WhiteHat Sentinel has been testing for a large number of these
"filter evasion"/canonicalization issues for 4+ years now. I published
stats about their frequency of occurrence a few years ago at BlackHat.
That was from a fairly small sample of applications compared to what
we work with today though, so it's probably time to take a look at
those numbers again.

What we find time and time again is that most of the obscure "filter
evasion" techniques tend to succeed as edge-cases. But there are a
heck of a lot of edge-cases out there. Some other observations about
these type of filter-evasion/canonicalization issues:

1) hard for static automation to identify
2) often emergent behaviors, results of disparate code bases and/or
interactions with app/web server product configurations
3) often only show up at runtime in Production, usually because of a
relationship in item #2
4) often only in isolated parts of larger applications (again, see #2)
so spot-checking applications doesn't help. Need better automated
levers to cover all inputs, and find the edge-cases.

We have also worked fairly closely with several Web App Firewall
vendors integrating Sentinel, and sharing information with them about
these types of filter evasions. However, WAF vendors have a tough time
of it. Customers will tolerate false-negatives over false-positives.
Good or bad, that's just how the world works. Filtering on these types
of data constructs has an unfortunate tendency to generate false
positives - especially on internationlized websites using multiple
code pages/encoding formats. Likewise, remediation is often as
challenging for the developer to understand as mitigation. Tricky
problem.

Also, I know IBM Appscan has implemented some degree of tests
targeting these issues as well. I have not seen the other mainstream
webapp scanners perform any depth of testing here (they might, but I
haven't seen it in their test injections nor results). However - the
biggest problems the appsec scanning industry is facing today involves
scaling, and false-positives rates. Improved filter-evasion just isn't
a primary problem (yet) IMHO.

Interesting times. The appsec industry, the customer base, and the
technologies are all evolving rapidly today. The next 5 years in
appsec should be much more exciting than the last 5 years.

Keep up the excellent work, Chris (I'm assuming x5s is your project).

---
Arian Evans