[WEB SECURITY] How are you tackling CSRF?

Arian J. Evans arian.evans at anachronic.com
Sat Apr 23 20:00:31 EDT 2011

Tasos - absolutely fair response. I suspect our customer type and use-case
for our platforms are entirely different. You probably get the per-app focused
pen-tester, and reporting "highly probable, high-value" targets to review by
hand is valuable to them indeed.

At WhiteHat we do the same thing internally with Sentinel. The most common
use-case for Sentinel (scanning applications all year long, all day long or
nightly) requires a similar approach to what you describe below for us
internally.
Incidentally this is also how we catch new code, new forms, interesting new
implementations and patterns that require us to go in and tweak Sentinel
or write new custom tests.

The difference is we validate all the results for our customers, as you noted.
Our consumer typically has one person responsible for dealing with results
of dozens of applications. That ratio is usually 1:10 to 1:50
security_person:app.
Which means they can be dealing with hundreds to thousands of "vulnerabilities"
so they don't have time to deal with 'potential' or 'false positives'
or they can't
get anything done internally.

Additionally - in use-cases where Sentinel is wired deeply into the SDLC,
it is often integrated directly with bug tracking systems so developers can
interact with Sentinel results, unit-testing, and re-testing. Developers don't
have time to deal with potential issues, and if you feed them too many
findings they cannot validate as useful, they will start to rebel against the
security analysis technology being used.

This is what I was referring to when talking about how scanners that report
all replayable forms as 'CSRF' get heavily into the FN territory, which doesn't
scale well as a broad-enterprise web app testing strategy.

Again - very different use-cases for Sentinel vs. Arachni I suspect.

PS - It is exciting how far you've come with Arachni so quickly. Great work,

---
Arian Evans
Software Security Statistician