[WEB SECURITY] How are you tackling CSRF?

Tasos Laskos tasos.laskos at gmail.com
Fri Apr 22 16:01:08 EDT 2011

Hi,

When it comes to automated identification I[1] look for forms that only
appear *with* the set cookies and ignore the rest.
It's a fair bet to assume that those forms will be tightly coupled with
the current user/session and thus affect business logic in one way or
another.

Then I look if they contain any CSRF tokens[2], if they don't then they
are logged and reported.

This provides a more detailed breakdown:
http://trainofthought.segfault.gr/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/Automated-detection-of-CSRF-worthy-HTML-forms-through-4-pass-reverse-Diff-analysis.pdf

Cheers,
Tasos L.

[1] When I say "I" I mean Arachni.
[2] Unrecognized token formats is a weakness of this approach -- you
can't anticipate everything.