[WEB SECURITY] Security in requirment gathering phase

Pete Herzog lists at isecom.org
Mon May 31 05:57:24 EDT 2010

Dave,

Have you looked into the OSSTMM 3 (osstmm.org)? It describes 10
operational controls which covers everything. Much easier than an
exhaustive list. You can use it with it's own Attack Surface metrics
(isecom.org/ravs) or with the trust metrics it also describes. The
trust metrics allow you to focus your resources only on the parts you
can't trust or don't trust enough depending on the environment. An
example of the trust metrics is also at

http://www.isecom.com/events/Mastering_Trust_Sampler.pdf

Another project which may be of interest is the use of the Attack
Surface metrics for analyzing source code. Currently the SCARE project
tool (isecom.org/scare) is only for C code but you can use the same
methodology outlined there to apply it to any web language as well.
This will show your team what's NOT controlled so they can make a
decision about every interaction and whether it should be more or less
controlled.

It's a much more productive move than to guess which threats you
should watch out for because threats change all the time. Sure, it's
fun to imagine all the possible threats but it makes more sense to
focus on controlling all interactions which works regardless of the
change in a threat.

Sincerely,
-pete.

Pete Herzog - Managing Director - pete at isecom.org
ISECOM - Institute for Security and Open Methodologies
www.isecom.org - www.osstmm.org
www.hackerhighschool.org - www.badpeopleproject.org