[WEB SECURITY] Password Reset

Martin, Christopher chrismartin at corelogic.com
Wed May 26 12:07:46 EDT 2010

OK folks, you have all made my day today....lol, passwords not required, DOB, rainbow, etc....omg  hehehe  even got me to go to instant message speak.

IMHO, SMS OTP is a really good system if it is acceptable from a cost perspective. In the past I have seen other alternatives to the something along the lines of "something you have portion" of multifactor authentication, which used a simple paper card with a matrix to choose from (think it was an entrust solution). OTP is truly a good way to go for any password scheme, but from the public consumption space cost effectiveness always seems to lose.

The sitekey that bank of America uses is excellent (I believe it is part of an RSA solution), good one Arian, in combination with the personal questions. Captcha is also a must have to at least reduce the spam instance (won't stop the serious efforts but can reduce the scripted ones).

Understanding that cost may be a consideration and not knowing the scope of sources (consumers, enterprise, partners) or sensitivity of the data, we don't know cost, but can at least start with the fact that sitekeys, captcha's, personal questions, idle timeouts, smart lockouts, etc., even SMS OTP can be developed in house, by strong developers for lower cost than commercial solutions if that does become an issue.

I guess bottom line, value of what you are trying to protect will guide your direction (or should).

Chris