[WEB SECURITY] Password Reset

Gaurav Kumar gk at pivotalsecurity.com
Wed May 26 00:19:24 EDT 2010

Jim, while others have given many good ideas, I just wanted comment on
account lockouts. Account lockout feature is like a DoS vulnerability
waiting to get exploited. For example, if an application locks the account
after 5 invalid attempts for 10 minutes, what will prevent from someone
writing a script which will send 5 incorrect passwords after every 10
minutes? This will essentially lock the account forever thereby creating a
DoS on user access. This is the reason you will find applications throwing
Human Interaction Proof like captcha images when a brute force attempt is
detected.

Thanks,

---

Gaurav Kumar