[WEB SECURITY] Password Reset

Arian J. Evans arian.evans at anachronic.com
Tue May 25 19:06:26 EDT 2010

You simply cannot make an in-band account reset feature usable and secure.

Human being are poor entropy generators and terrible entropy
retainers. (passwords, secret questions)

So you make it secure, and in the end pay more money handling the call
volume to your support center to reset passwords, and deal with a
small percentage of customer loss due to frustration.

Or you make it highly usable, and you will be hackable.

This is why OoB reset features have evolved (out of band email links,
etc.). They provide a nice balance of price/performance, keeps you
relatively secure while keeping your call cost down.

Another option is that you could move all this to "the cloud". I hear
they don't have to even use passwords in there.

---
Arian Evans