[WEB SECURITY] Form-based HTTP Authentication Proof of Concept

Timothy D. Morgan tmorgan at vsecurity.com
Thu Feb 25 11:09:14 EST 2010

Hello,

As a follow up to my paper advocating HTTP authentication in place of
cookies [1], I've built a simple sample application which demonstrates
how a combination of XMLHttpRequest and response code tricks can be
used to achieve form-based login, logout, and authenticated password
changes in the four most popular browsers:
  http://www.vsecurity.com/download/tools/fbha-poc_0.1.zip

Note that this is achieved without using any checks to determine what
browser is being used.

While this is promising, I still think we should have an HTTP-based
log out mechanism.  In addition, the proposed W3C change to
XMLHttpRequest authentication behavior will make this code much
simpler.

cheers,
tim

1. http://www.vsecurity.com/download/papers/WeaningTheWebOffOfSessionCookies.pdf