Fwd: [WEB SECURITY] AT&T exposes /etc/passwd , bad php

Matt Parsons mparsons1980 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 28 14:11:37 EDT 2009

I have used UNIX before.   I also know that if I scanned this application
with a tool like Ounce I would have found the vulnerability before the
public did.  It would have been listed as a directory traversal attack.
	 I misspoke when I said that users should not have access to the
etc/passwd file and that all users need to have read access. But does the
public need to have read access on an external facing website? I believe the
proper way to do it, would be to use the /etc/shadow file and do a redirect
only giving access to root having the password hash replaced with an X that
tells the user to retrieve the corresponding user's password via the
/etc/shadow file.  Am I wrong?    What do you think.

Matt

Matt Parsons, CISSP
315-559-3588 Blackberry
817-238-3325 Home office