[WEB SECURITY] AT&T exposes /etc/passwd , bad php

Arian J. Evans arian.evans at anachronic.com
Mon Jul 27 22:55:09 EDT 2009

You are a man (?) after my own heart re: Ultraedit & macros auditing of source.

There has been a significant amount of work done over @OWASP regarding
secure coding in PHP. Cue Andrew Van Der Stott.

I agree that PHP by default makes it easy to shoot yourself in the foot.

C# and the .NET framework probably make it the hardest to shoot
yourself in the foot. Java is a little better, but you have to reach
out for 3rd party frameworks and APIs like ESAPI to make doing a good
job easy(ier). I rarely ever see directory traversals in C#/.NET and
Java apps, thought I found a major one in .NET (due to
canonicalization and mis-ordered authorization) back in 200/2 or /3.
Haven't seen one like that in the six years since.

This said: I have seen a few folks do a decent job coding securely in
PHP. See above.

Ultimately I think choice of language and framework is a business
decision, and I try not to tell people what they should have coded
things in. I don't find this very productive (unless they ask, from
the start). There are sound business reasons someone might choose
PHP/LAMP.

So now we are way off topic,

--
Arian Evans