[WEB SECURITY] Formal Pentesting 'test plan/s' projects?

Pete Herzog lists at isecom.org
Tue Jul 21 15:22:31 EDT 2009

robert at webappsec.org wrote:
> Is anyone aware of a project/initiative for the creation of security test plans for use by penetration testers?

We did one in OSSTMM 3 and completed in the last re-write to make it
more useable. Here's a snippet of the chapter entitled "What You Need
to Do"

Where do you start? Testing is a complicated affair and with anything
complicated, you approach it in small, comprehensible pieces to be
sure you don't make mistakes.

Conventional wisdom says complexity is an enemy of security. However,
it is only at odds with human nature. Anything which is made more
complex is not inherently insecure. Consider a computer managing
complex tasks. The problem as we know it is not that the computer will
make mistakes, confuse the tasks, or forget to complete some. As more
tasks are added to the computer, it gets slower and slower, taking
more time to complete all the tasks.  People, however, do make
mistakes, forget tasks, and purposely abandon tasks which are either
not important or required at the moment. So when testing security,
what you need to do is properly manage any complexity. This is done by
properly defining the security test.

2.1 Defining a Security Test
These 7 steps will take you to the start of a properly defined
security test.

1.Define what you want to secure. These are the assets. The protection
mechanisms for these assets are the targets you will test.
2.Identify the area around the assets which includes the protection
mechanisms and the processes or services built around the assets. This
is where interaction with assets will take place. This is your
engagement zone.
3.Define everything outside the engagement zone that you need to keep
your assets operational.  This may include things you may not be able
to directly influence like electricity, food, water, air, stable
ground, information, legislation, regulations and things you may be
able to work with like dryness, warmth, coolness, clarity,
contractors, colleagues, branding, partnerships, and so on. Also count
that which keeps the infrastructure operational like processes,
protocols, and continued resources. This is your test scope.
4.Define how your scope interacts within itself and with the outside.
Logically compartmentalize the assets within the scope through the
direction of interactions such as inside to outside, outside to
inside, inside to inside, department A to department B, etc. These are
your vectors.  Each vector should ideally be a separate test to keep
each compartmentalized test duration short before too much change can
occur within the environment.
5.Identify what equipment will be needed for each test. Inside each
vector, interactions may occur on various levels. These levels may be
classified in many ways, however here they have been classified by
function as five channels.  The channels are Human, Physical, Wireless
Communications, Telecommunications, and Data Networks. Each channel
must be separately tested for each vector.
6.Determine what information you want to learn from the test. Will you
be testing interactions with the assets or also the response from
active security measures? The test type must be individually defined
for each test, however there are six common types identified here as
Blind, Double Blind, Gray Box, Double Gray Box, Tandem, and Reversal.
7.Assure the security test you have defined is in compliance to the
Rules of Engagement, a guideline to assure the process for a proper
security test without creating misunderstandings, misconceptions, or
false expectations.

Obviously it goes into much more detail than I can send here. But it's
good.

Sincerely,
-pete.