[WEB SECURITY] WASC Threat Classification vs. OWASP ASVS]

Vishal Garg vishal.garg at firstbase.co.uk
Thu Jul 16 11:55:38 EDT 2009

It is good to see that we have brought all three major documents into
discussion (WASC-TCv2, ASVS and OWASP-TGv3). This is no criticism to
WASC-TCv2, but I can really understand the real purpose of ASVS and
TGv3 and know exactly how to use them. But I fail to understand the
real purpose of TCv2, while TCv1 made much more sense by classifying
threats in different categories (as the title says "Threat
Classification"). TCv2 appears to to have lost its purpose by listing
different attacks and weaknesses without actually classifying them as
such (sorry, again no criticism to anyone's hard work done here as I
know people put in lots of time and effort to create these
documents). Therefore if I have to learn about some attack technique,
I can refer to TCv2 and go through the technical details in the
document, but I will struggle to find out what sort of issue is that
and if there are other similar issues in the application? What sort
of controls I would require to mitigate these issues? If I know about
all the similar issues an application  has then I may be able to find
a best solution to mitigate these issues with the lowest possible
cost and effort (in theory). But if I do not have this information in
hand, I may treat them all as separate issues and would tend a find a
solution separately, which may be a wasted effort and cost, and still
may not be sure if all these controls are working as intended.

Again, I might be wrong, but the only point I'm trying to get across
is that the classification provided in TC1 served a much better
purpose (at least to me) than in TCv2, the only thing is that we may
have to scratch our heads bit more to find a proper category to fit
in all these new attack techniques which may have multiple vectors involved.

Thanks
Vishal