[WEB SECURITY] WASC Threat Classification vs. OWASP ASVS

Boberski, Michael [USA] boberski_michael at bah.com
Thu Jul 16 09:18:40 EDT 2009

Hi guys. My name is Mike, I'm the project lead for ASVS.

For the larger audience, it's more than a "philosophy" - ASVS does NOT prescribe how one may wish to go about figuring out if an ASVS verification requirement is met. There is no text in the document that contains that type of information.

ASVS as Jeff explained groups verification requirements into levels that folks may then use as a yardstick (after verification against the requirements is performed) to measure the degree of trust one may wish to place in the targeted Web application.

ASVS may also be used by security control developers ("How should my security controls work?") and during procurement ("I want an ASVS Level x review of my Web app").

ASVS can be used in YOUR life-cycle wherever you'd originally planned or are already performing appsec scan/code review/pentest/architecture review. Do what you normally do, use ASVS to tweak your approach. That's the upshot.

I wrote a brief article recently to explain to an Agile Scrum-based development shop one possible way to go about adding code reviews using ASVS into their life-cycle, perhaps helpful:

http://www.owasp.org/index.php/Agile_Software_Development:_Don%27t_Forget_EVIL_User_Stories

Best,

Mike B.