[WEB SECURITY] RE: Web Application Scanners Comparison

Rafal @ IsHackingYou.com rafal at ishackingyou.com
Wed Jan 28 20:41:47 EST 2009

Martin,
    You're right, and further to that point I'm going to concur with what
Vinnie Liu said in his BlueHat presentation... (paraphrasing) "anyone that
says that black-box scanners are useless because they don't find as many
vulns as a human is speaking clearly from inexperience".  Absolutely.

    It doesn't matter how "good" you are at finding bugs in code, unless the
code has a low complexity factor, and you're incredibly focused for a long
period of time I'm going to argue that a "scanner" is a necessary
complement.  I say complement because often-time the more experienced
assessors will use some black-box scanner tool to supplement their efforts
and keep them sane.

    You said it brilliantly - a little from column A, and a little from
column B is what's needed... but believe me when I say that this is more of
an exception than the rule.  Companies want it simple, with the click of a
button, and cheap, and now.  Scanners solve some of that problem, and
often-times it helps check the compliance box, so they buy it no matter what
the sales people say.  Although I would agree, sales people generally suck.

__
Rafal M. Los
Security & IT Risk Strategist

 - Blog:         http://preachsecurity.blogspot.com