[WEB SECURITY] Classification of DoS vulnerabilities in browsers

MustLive mustlive at websecurity.com.ua
Sat Jan 24 09:15:08 EST 2009

Hello participants of Mailing List.

Let's talk about classification of vulnerabilities. First I planed to write
about this topic into the list in December, but it was delayed until
January. In 2008 I wrote many classifications of vulnerabilities and this
year I'd write many new classifications which I planned, and I'd tell you
about all of them.

First I draw your attention to DoS vulnerabilities. About which I wrote two
classifications: vulnerabilities in browsers and in web applications. In
this letter I'll write about DoS vulnerabilities in browsers (and in next
one I'll write about DoS vulnerabilities in web applications).

Classification of DoS vulnerabilities in browsers

As I wrote in my article (on English) Classification of DoS vulnerabilities
in browsers (http://websecurity.com.ua/2550/), there are next types of
Denial of Service vulnerabilities in browsers:

1. Crashing DoS.
2. Blocking DoS.
    * Freezing.
    * Blocking.
3. Resources consumption DoS.
    * CPU overload.
    * Memory consumption.

Quite often such holes in browsers occur, which combine symptoms of some
types of DoS. These are joint DoS vulnerabilities, where simultaneously take
place two DoS attacks. For example, freezing and resources consumption, or
blocking and resources consumption. Also holes occur, which belong to type
Resources consumption DoS, when takes place consumption of both resources
(CPU and RAM).

You can read entire article at my site (http://websecurity.com.ua/2550/).

Also I draw you attention to one attack (which I created in July 2008 - for
now it's theoretical attack, but in any time it can become practical
attack). As I wrote in my article Dangers of DoS attacks on browsers
(http://websecurity.com.ua/2276/), which you can read on English
(http://www.google.com/translate?u=http://websecurity.com.ua/2276/&langpair=ua%7Cen&hl=en&ie=UTF8),
there is one attack which can change DoS attack on users (via DoS holes in
browsers) into DoS attack on the site.

I called it reverse DDoS attack. In this case not the site itself is
attacking (to kick it out from Internet, to make it inaccessible for the
users), but site's users are attacking (via hacking of the site and placing
DoS exploit at it). Which will can't normally view it, because after
visiting of the site their browsers will be crashing - i.e. the site will
become inaccessible for the users.

Best wishes & regards,
MustLive
Administrator of Websecurity web site