[WEB SECURITY] CSRF remedies in

Stephan Wehner stephanwehner at gmail.com
Thu Jan 15 13:33:58 EST 2009

On Thu, Jan 15, 2009 at 8:32 AM, Ragan, Rob R <rob.ragan at hp.com> wrote:
> Most of us probably don't know that ViewStateUserKey won't always protect
> ASP.NET applications from CSRF attacks. It doesn't work if a GET request is
> being used or if the ViewState MAC is disabled. When passing values using
> Request.Params ASP.NET doesn't care what HTTP verb is being used. This means
> a GET could be substituted for a POST. If the page is not a post-back the
> ViewState MAC is never checked. Microsoft's designation for CSRF attacks
> that use ViewState is One-Click attack. The moral of the story is don't rely
> on ViewStateUserKey to protect you from CSRF, instead use it along with
> something like http://www.owasp.org/index.php/.Net_CSRF_Guard

By the way, I am not sure about CSRF protection vs. bookmarks. When
tokens are generated/validated even for GET requests -- which can be
important when the response contains information that needs to be
protected -- the user cannot use their browser's bookmark function.

I'm considering a few solutions for the scenario of a web application
that provides the CSRF-sensitive functionality to users only after
they log in:

 1. Use longer-lived tokens for GET requests.

 2. Add "bookmarkable links" to each page which take the browser to a
URL that has a longer-lived token. If user bookmarks a "short-lived"
protected URL, and access the page from their bookmark function,
inform them about the need for potection; instruct them how to find
those "bookmarkable links" within the application and tell them to use
those. (Getting ugly ?)

 3. Maintain bookmarks within the web application itself.

Am I overlooking something? Are there other ways?

Stephan

--
Stephan Wehner

-> http://stephan.sugarmotor.org (blog and homepage)