[WEB SECURITY] CSRF remedies in

Steve Pinkham steve.pinkham at gmail.com
Wed Jan 14 19:43:09 EST 2009

Eric Rachner wrote:
> As most of us know, ASP.NET <http://ASP.NET> provides the
> ViewStateUserKey
> <http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/system.web.ui.page.viewstateuserkey.aspx>
> feature to mitigate CSRF attacks.  But as a primarily Microsoft-oriented
> guy, I'm not personally aware of any equivalent solutions for use in
> other environments, J2EE in particular, except of course for CSRFGuard
> <http://www.owasp.org/index.php/CSRF_Guard>.
>
> Does anyone happen to know whether any web app development platforms
> other than .NET provide CSRF mitigations like ViewStateUserKey?
>
> Much obliged,
>
> - Eric

Rails 2.0 and later provides the protect_from_forgery option, which is
on by default and helps defend against CSRF in a similar manner.
In Javaland, Wicket added defense in version 1.3.5.
There's probably more, but those are the ones I care about at the moment...

Steve
--
  | Steven E. Pinkham                      |
  | GPG public key ID CD31CAFB             |