[WEB SECURITY] code review techniques for when you don't trust your developers or testers

Mat Caughron mat at phpconsulting.com
Thu Aug 13 12:32:46 EDT 2009

Hi Billy:

If you want a badder badnessometer*, keep scanning.

If you want to fix problems in appsec, you need source, specific actionable
modifications to source, insights into how to fix the source, executive
buy-in to make and go production with changes, meaningful access to most if
not all players in the SDLC, etc...

Obviously, there's a lot of money in the "keep scanning" game, and I do not
wish to comment here on how legitimate or not that approach is.  Rather, my
email points to the necessity of source review for appsec, specifically
regarding insider threat.

>From your email, are you proposing that it is possible to solve the insider
threat problem without static analysis?  Say more!

Mat Caughron
(408) 910-1266

* attributed to G.McGraw