[WEB SECURITY] Re: [SC-L] Integrated Dynamic and Static Scanning

Glenn.Everhart at chase.com Glenn.Everhart at chase.com
Fri Aug 7 08:07:37 EDT 2009

One of the things I've noticed in static analysis is the constant need to figure out what is a trusted input or
output (and why). Source code alone mostly does not cover this, since a lot depends on surrounding
environmental controls. (For a simple example, not-too-large outputs that are sent to a human for decisions
about actions to take are relatively hard to use for attacks (with obvious caveats about the humans in question).)

The feed in from pen testing is obvious, so long as the connection between what is found in such tests to
source code inputs or outputs can be made. Again though, the layers between can make that tricky.

Glenn Everhart