[WEB SECURITY] Bypassing URL Authentication and Authorization with HTTP Verb Tampering

Arshan Dabirsiaghi arshan.dabirsiaghi at aspectsecurity.com
Thu May 29 10:08:45 EDT 2008

The answer to your question is pretty self-evident in the email you replied to, so I guess I'll quote myself:

> It's not that we expect anything else from HEAD, indeed it's doing exactly as the spec says - we're just alerting
> most people to its usefulness to attackers to access non-idempotent GETs behind URL authorization schemes.
> That is the fact that, which you may still not believe, is not well known. Of course that's just half the story, the
> other half is the vendor craziness when dealing with arbitrary HTTP verbs.

You're free to disagree with the "awareness" issue, but I think you'd be wrong. In my opinion, your characterization of it as being-in-line-with-the-RFC-so-it-can't-possibly-be-problematic is unreasonable and actually tangential to the point: many people rely on this, it's wrong, and we are having a hard time finding anyone prior that says the same thing.

Arshan