[WEB SECURITY] client-side "transaction monitoring" beacons

Arshan Dabirsiaghi arshan.dabirsiaghi at aspectsecurity.com
Tue May 27 23:13:32 EDT 2008

There's lots of places I could do that, and there's lots of things the people on this list could say that about. Fortunately for them, I saved them an email because I care.

<g/>

But seriously, the answer is no. The web app vulnerabilities that people really care about allow a single attacker to cause widespread harm, either to confidentiality, integrity, available, surety, etc. In those situations, a single attacker does a lot of damage across an entire system, user base, etc.

In this case, a single attacker can affect the system .00001%. Even if 10% of users had some unbeatable anti-tracking busta busta busta, it wouldn't affect their overall tracking statistics enough to make a serious impact.

And honestly, I don't know if people should get worked up about this unless they're doing something insane like sending personal data in the tracking signal. It's something they can do on the server side - they're just making it easier on themselves by outsourcing the OOB request to your browser client. Wal Mart can (and I'm sure does) watch tape of you walking through the aisles and see how they could rearrange the sections to make you stay longer and buy more. Is that an invasion of privacy? Somehow I don't think so.

However, being the blame-corporate-America-first kind of guy that I am, I'm sure I could be persuaded otherwise.

Cheers,
Arshan